2021: 3 Months touring the American West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jgalinis, May 2, 2021.

1. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finding an open site along the coast without reservations is very rare any time of the year in CA. Further north into OR and WA may be just as bad with the heat they have been experiencing. Good luck.
    jgalinis likes this.
  2. Clef

Clef n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice update again and good to know about the difficulties regarding camping spots on the coast. Initially I wondered whether it was just due to COVID and people being extra eager to get out there again, but if I see Geezerguys update, that is not the case then.

I hope you will have some more luck going forward!
    jgalinis likes this.
  3. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great trip
    Im jealous
    I have been all those places and love them but never 3 months of riding
    My longest trip is 19 days 9000 miles
    18 months to retirement hope to hit the road for 5-6 months ( money and age )
    jgalinis likes this.
  4. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are having a great trip.
    jgalinis likes this.
  5. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Oregon coast is the best. Period.
    It’ll be full but National Forest land is usually close.
    Wild camp most anywhere.
    jgalinis likes this.
  6. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Havent seen any pics, so I thought I'd put some up of the places you were just at. Maybe they'll be familiar....Love southern Utah. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  7. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a great camp last night near crater lake national park.

Currently in a cheap hotel in coos bay and planning on riding further up the coast tomorrow.

Sunday I'll be crossing into Washington and staying with an old navy buddy in Bremerton.

Going to try and take the Port Townsend -Coupeville ferry to get around Seattle, then planning on riding the north cascades scenic byway to the east.
  8. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good plan, jgalinis.

Though there are a couple big bike shops in Bremerton, and we're just an hour north, PM me in case you need anything when you get to Port Townsend - garage & tools, tent space & shower say, local knowledge or just a beer. In any event, plan to get to the ferry landing 30 minutes or more early (you normally might make it aboard if only 5 minutes early but that's iffy with holiday crowds). If it's your first time dealing with our ferries, know bikes typically stage to board in front of all the cars (ride around them to the right in the lot) and load first, right after walk-ons; you'll go to the "bow" and ride off in Coupeville right after the walk-ons walk-off.

Ignore signs directing ferry traffic to turn right off the ferry in Coupeville. Turn left & save a bunch of miles, then left again in a few miles onto Hwy. 20 north. Be prepared for tourist traffic jams at Deception Pass up-island. It took us an hour to get through that clusterfook one Sunday in May. (It would be a toss-up to me whether to go that way on July 4 or go south down Whidbey Island to Clinton, ferry to Mukilteo/Everett and hit I-5 north (opposite most of the July 4 traffic) to Hwy. 20 & the North Cascades Highway.)

It's a nice 25 minute cruise down Whidbey Island to the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry, where again you go ahead of the cars.

Once on the North Cascades Highway, aka Rainy Pass (after stop & go through several towns you get set free), the last stop for fuel & food for quite a ways is in Marblemount. Winthrop & Twisp on the other side of the pass are towns full of good food & brew joints - and people, traffic & heat. Once past Twisp you should be free again in wide open country with little traffic, scattered ranching communities, a res or two, and great two-lane riding!

Oh - I never bother with ferry reservations on the bike from Port Townsend, but it being a holiday it might help. Large herds of city slickers on the Olympic Peninsula for the long weekend will be headed back to The Dark Side on Monday. An early start could be good.

Onward!
  9. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report.
    I am leaving North Carolina next Saturday heading to Taos and points west.
    JeepDawg and jgalinis like this.
  10. Gentleman George

Gentleman George Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw a GS in traffic this morning with Tennessee plates, on highway 24 in Manitou Springs leading to Pikes Peak. Was that you?
    jgalinis likes this.
  11. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not me, on a Yamaha and currently headed east through Washington.
  12. Gentleman George

Oddometer:
    I need to pay more attention. Hope you’re having a great ride!
    jgalinis likes this.
  13. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently in Missoula MT. Reminds me of coastal California with how busy everything is. Wasn't able to get a camp site anywhere nearby, looks like Montana state parks went to reservation camping and everything is booked up.

I haven't had any luck securing an entry reservation for glacier national park in the past few days.

I think the plan now will be to just get a hotel near an entrance gate and wake up extra early to get into the park before 6 am so I don't need a reservation.

Think I'm going to go down Lolo pass tomorrow and stay somewhere in Idaho, then come back to the northeast and spend too much on a hotel so I can wake up extra early and get into the park before 6.

After glacier, going to head down toward Beartooth pass. I will take the pass westbound, then cut south toward Cody WY.

Next weekend I booked a camp spot at the RevZilla adv rally thing in Sturgis. I'll use that as base camp to explore the black hills, then from there it will pretty much just be interstates to get the rest of the way home.
    Varshan Balu, 23103a, HuckIt and 2 others like this.
  14. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check on Lolo Pass.
    I think I read there is a fire.
  15. Gentleman George

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend visiting Polebridge MT and getting something to eat at Polebridge Mercentile. We showed up at lunch time and just got whatever was coming out of the oven and it was great. There's some lodging there too. Just outside the park to the west.
    jgalinis likes this.
  16. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    The huckleberry bearclaw at the Polebridge Mercantile is to die for.
    jgalinis likes this.
  17. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suppose I haven't updated this thread in a bit.

Currently in Sturgis SD for the Get On! ADV rally for the weekend. Once I leave here, I'll head south toward Scotts bluff national monument, which will pretty much be the last interesting thing in planning to see on this trip, before making my way down to interstate 80 to head east.

I'm planning to be home early next week, at which point I'll go back through and start properly updating the ride thread with pictures and daily accounts.
  18. jgalinis

jgalinis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it back home in one piece. My chain lost a roller at some point in nebraska for some reason, I ended up globbing a bunch of grease on it to limp it back home. Currently have a new chain and front sprocket on order.

It feels good to be back home. I'll be back to work next week. Taking a few days to relax and get back to normal.

I will go through the thread in the near future and update daily accounts with photos to close this trip out.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful tips along the way. It was a hell of a journey.
    ROAD DAMAGE, Mofrid, smalls78 and 9 others like this.
  19. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read this entire thread. You had a wonderful journey. My career ends in 11 months. Me thinks a similar journey is in order.

Well done, indeed!
    ssilliman likes this.
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Retired and riding is a pretty good gig.