2021 AFT Flat Track Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ADK, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that was Kolby Carlile - after he hit the bales and got thrown down his leg was under the bike... when he stopped rolling, his left foot didn't look quite right.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    :knary:doh:eekers:eekers:eekers:eekers:eekers:eekers Holy shit. They thought he mighta flew 100 feet? Not sure on that.
  3. marcusj

marcusj Turn left

Oddometer:
    Yea just like they always do. Drag the show out
  4. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I see Ryan Varnes was on an Indian in super twins and pulled off a 6th. Not sure if he had much time on that bike either.
    Wonder what Ryan will do next year?
    And his dad Kevin pulled off a 2nd in Super Hooligans after winning both qualifiers.
    norton73 and Foot dragger like this.
  5. smcohio

smcohio Equipment Tech

Oddometer:
    Yea his leg was definitely broken in a few spots.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They could have the same option that Ken Roberts started. It wasn't a "union", Roberts was setting up a whole new racing series. He got enough big name race teams and riders to get behind him and actually started setting up a series to go up against the FIM, because they ignored the rider concerns. FIM caved finally, paying more money out and running safer tracks and requiring others to make changes for rider safety.

From Kevin Cameron's article on Roberts click here:

When the FIM refused to budge on operational and organizational changes that had been urgently needed for years, Roberts joined forces with Manchester Guardian motorsports writer Barry Coleman to create a new and forward-thinking racing organization—the World Series. As the FIM blustered, Roberts and company busily set about signing up racetracks and sponsors.

I suspect in hindsight that the FIM then realized that motorcycle GP racing had become a valuable property, and that powerful people who knew this might actually take it from them.

Faced with these threats from the future, the FIM released its fixation on 1920s attitudes and made changes. Roberts accomplished that by throwing all the power that success in racing had given him into forcing the FIM to give riders their share. Like pitching it into a corner and trusting the front will hold.

AFT riders and teams could do it by setting up shop with someone like Steve Nace and a few others in the country to develop a series. But it takes absolute rider dedication and the tracks have to be better. I don't know if they could make more money, but they could get safer tracks. Plus anyone who's been to a Nace race will see just how good they are run with over 20 heats and finals run in one event! Only thing missing are the absolute top riders and factory teams to operate as a National. It's going to be up to Locke to get it right and show the concern for rider safety. Professional level prep work and safer race conditions, whatever it takes.

How about the ones presently run by racers and former racers, comments? You have Mees doing Lima and will be doing Springfield next year, are any others doing races and are the tracks quality.

Now that would be pretty cool! I'm actually kind of shocked that this is coming from you.

What sizes are you thinking? Under 700? 650? 500? 400? I wonder how a Kaw 400 or Yamaha 390 twin would do.
  7. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Andy DiBrino built his 790 Hooligan bike in 2019 - he used a Duke as the 790 Adventures were still coming across the pond.

Here's a blog post of his when he switched from H-D to KTM.
  8. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is it a surprise? Not the first time I have advocated for a “Hooligan Junior” class. There are a lot of potential platforms with decent twin engines. Others are rumored. Keep it simple.

0 - 749cc production twin, stock frame, basic stock appearing engine. Some minimum weight, say 330#, go racing. Make it simple rules like the big Hooligans.
    Scoozi, AK650 and Foot dragger like this.
  9. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Now there is a way to get rid of the Indians…..
    AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  10. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just loved how dish network ran a monster turd event when aft was listed.
  11. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Sammy posted a pic on fb with him laying in bed after surgery. It's a bit graphic so I won't post it here.

He was smiling but has his arm and leg in casts and had some plastic surgeon repair his face/eyelid.
  12. Rich B

Oddometer:
    I saw it. He got the shit beat out of him. He is damn lucky.
    AK650, Fabricator, WIsixfitty and 2 others like this.
  13. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw that too. It really sucked.
    Hope he heals up OK.
    AK650, Fabricator and norton73 like this.
  14. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Tentative 2022 schedule

[​IMG]
    Fabricator likes this.
  15. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it wasn't ! Per professional flat track memorial page, Jamison Minor a single rider was injured on april 1 2017 and died on the 3rd , Charlotte 1/2 mile. Starting from 1924 to now we have lost 145 riders from track injuries. In 97 years we have lost 145 riders to this sport we love, [SAD] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    trump2024 likes this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Back in the day,somehow,the deaths at track were sorta more accepted. Maybe it was sold more as a thrill show. The 40's and 50's were rough years for losing riders. Flying off track and hitting a pole or some solid object was usually the culprit.

Board track racing, 3 died at one race,a spectator was killed I think. And that was near the end for boardtrack.

Its always been a wildly dangerous sport,its the most fun you can have with clothes on while out racing.
    Like a war zone every Sat night is how I used to describe it.

Everybody was mostly lucky at this last AFT race, How Sammy and Briar survived is up to chance. Nobody else hit em.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    2 youngsters were lost not too long ago at the Santa Rosa Mile,that was the end of the Santa Rosa Mile.
    Running a race in blinding dust didnt work.
  18. kenlake

kenlake Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say safety gear requirements also assisted. But, quick action by their fellow racers is also commendable.
    norton73 likes this.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the Aldana article in this month's American Motorcyclist magazine, where he talks about racing in I think it was Malaysia.

Part of racing to a lot of spectators is the accidents - they love it! Seems car race fans really like a big crash.

I remember being at a half mile motorcycle race with a bunch of friends. Some of us were racing at the time and were dedicated motorcyclists. There was a crash and one of our group - not a racer - is jumping up and down cheering like he was at the local stock car track seeing a crash there. If I remember right he was shouting "I love it! Love it!" One rider went down on the front straight and was hit by a bike following, which then flew in the air along with the rider. The one rider died of injuries. We were not on board with his view that wrecks are cool. That's the thought process for a lot of spectators.

I don't know if any of you remember the Havoc video cassettes. They were spectacular crashes, in some cases they were involving fatalities on the earlier ones. I absolutely cannot take seeing that kind of stuff unless I know the rider/driver comes out alive. I don't need to see people killed. I'd rather see riders almost in formation in a cushion track turn - for me that is the thrill. Having been on the edge of death due to injuries riding an MX track, I know what it's like and just how damn scary it was to think about it after the fact. Took me a month to want to look at a bike magazine and about a year before I could watch SX/MX, still cringing at any crash where riders are hurt.
    norton73 likes this.