2021 Baja 1000 !!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by chavo_dakar_bolivia, Aug 21, 2020.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome effort Chavo... :bow:clap

Thanks for starting the thread and giving those Baja addicts among us someone to focus on and cheer for... along with all of the other two and four wheeled SCORE racers.
    Baja is Baja mate... in a week or two - once the sleep deprivation induced shock and adrenaline dial back... you will remember the awesome-ness of the race, the amazing landscape, the epic racecourses and the people...

:wink: ... you'll be back mate... I'd bet on it! :thumb
  2. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like a siren's song or the lure of a fine woman, Baja calls you back...
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Man... LR was ON IT ...!!! :clap:clap:clap There are just sooo many winning team efforts he has driven and ridden on over the years in Baja... no wonder he is the no.1. choice of so many top level teams as the alternate driver...

4. chavo_dakar_bolivia

chavo_dakar_bolivia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s funny because you hit the nail on the head with exactly what I’m going through now:
    “the sleep depravation induced shock and adrenalin dial back... you will remember the awesome-ness of the race, the amazing landscape, the epic racecourses and the people...”
    Other than the usual muscular tension from racing , this Baja 1000 has left me After the race ,with sore hands/finger tips And forearms. I never had my fingertips go numb and forearms pulsating like a heart beat

but yes , I will definitely be back to Baja , just not sure if Ironman again .

did anybody hear that fellow Ironman racer Larry Janesky 714x finished in like 48 hours ? I never met him before but somebody from score told me this and I couldn’t believe it. That is heroic. Shout out to him if anybody knows him .
    knight, RenoMoto, wrk2surf and 10 others like this.
  5. EDurazo119x

EDurazo119x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chavo congrats,

Huge accomplishment on finishing the most brutal Baja 1000 ever, hopefully more racers from South America come race Baja next year. And mostly the SCORE Baja race courses have been very technical and Hard Enduro stuff (in some sections) since 2013, I mostly pre-run on my XR650R.

Next year the Baja 1000 is all the way to La Paz in Baja Sur, mostly more easy roads than Baja Norte, what I heard expect a 1200+ mile course from tip Norte to Sur.

Can't go wrong with the tacos.
    knight and chavo_dakar_bolivia like this.
  6. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Chavo! In the age of Covid you have been infected with the Baja bug. You can tell by the cravings for Baja style tacos de pescado and silt. Welcome to the club.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Is that the same Larry Janesky that did the Into the dust movies?
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/into-the-dust-2-baja-1000-movie.1475656/
    wrk2surf likes this.
  8. chavo_dakar_bolivia

Oddometer:
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente, knight and LJC like this.
  10. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats @chavo_dakar_bolivia what a race and a result! now back to designing those tours we spoke this spring

cheers
    dooby
  11. chavo_dakar_bolivia

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the messages ! 10 days later I am now ready to do another Baja 1000
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :1drink ... it was like putting money in the bank... :jkam :rofl
    garfey and GalacticGS like this.
  13. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    20201203_173505.jpg 522x

The race started on the 20th and I just got home on 30th. I spent 7 days in the hospital and had 2 surgeries.

A punctured lung, then collapsed lung, chest tube, broken right collarbone, about 11 broken and flailed ribs. Two separate surgeries and added a fair amount of titanium to my body and I'm finally on the mend.

It was a rough race. I was in dust the entire time and I pushed it too hard and took one too many chances and Baja got me. Fortunately my chase crew was able to get to me and extract me without much excitement.

This was my 3rd Baja 1000 on a moto. Probably my last as I don't like paying the price for failure anymore. At that level we're hanging it out most of the time. NEVER thought I'd say this but I'm Not sure I have that level of risk inside me anymore.

I finally got a win and will probably retire from racing Baja.
  14. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cant like the fact that you were injured, but happy for yourself and the entire team on results! Baja is a cruel mistress! You may be done racing at the helm of a moto, but I imagine you may stay involved in one way or another. Hopes for a speedy recovery!! A tolerance for pain is going to be of helpful over the next few months...
    RenoMoto, KZJohn, wrk2surf and 3 others like this.
  15. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man we all hope you the best. Ouch ouch TG you are alive! I was rooting for you and your team the whole race, unreal the team's outcome, so great! You obviously chose to have the bike land on you opposed the other, saving the bike for your team. All kidding aside we would all love to hear more details of the race, yours, your team's, your chase crew, anything, we will all dig it and respect it! This is Baja, everything is comb by aha until it's not. If we can learn something to help this not happen to us, that's a good thing. Thanks for the update EZ300. :super
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :y0! +1 on what Galactic and Cavebiker wrote... :nod

glad you came out the other side okay after the crash... that is some list of repairs you got. :eek7:eekers

heal well 522x... enjoy that win for years to come... :thumb
    EZ300 and bomose like this.
  17. chavo_dakar_bolivia

Oddometer:
    Wow that was a big hit , glad you will be ok in a few weeks/months. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Did you crash at night ?
    I took it easy at night , specially since I only did about 350 miles of Pre running (which probably worked best for me as I took no risks of going fast over stuff I might have remembered if I did pre running )
    Awesome your team was able to bring home the W !
    garfey, Strong Bad and EZ300 like this.
  18. chavo_dakar_bolivia

Oddometer:
    Any inmates coming to the Baja 1239? I am going to give it a shot again in the ironman class :photog
  19. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! Cavegirl and I will be here for the Baja 1000 cheering you on and others along the route. (Edited because loop route is not true) I just pulled up the course map and I see and old loop route, digging deeper revels the peninsula run! We are in San Felipe so we will have to find a good place along the course to camp and photograph the race :happay Does anyone know of a good spot? I'm sure there are hundreds :*sip*

Who else is coming down for the race, racing chasing or spectating? :thumb

Hey chavo_dakar_bolivia keep us posted with your preparations if you can. Preparing for a monster Iron Man race is just as interesting as the race itself :lurk
    slogger likes this.
  20. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    The map is out it is a peninsula run to La Paz not a loop. baja 2021.jpg
    Enduro10, Strong Bad and cavebiker like this.