2021 Baja 1000 !!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by chavo_dakar_bolivia, Aug 21, 2020.

1. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are going to ride down from the PNW to find a spot along the race course to camp for spectating and cheering on the two moto teams from our local KTM dealer. Probably cross at Mexicali around the 16th, stage out of San Felipe, find the race course maybe somewhere down around Coco's or so.
  2. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Coco's or Bay of LA looks like the spot for us staging in San Felipe. Should be nuts! So bikes start @ 2:00am Thursday, Coco's is the 400mi checkpoint. Thinking about traffic along hwy 5 during that time we'll have to figure out when to setup camp. Fun stuff, Time to go explore the area on the Honda! Maybe we can compare notes over tacos in SF. What are the numbers of the 2 KTM racers? The more bikes to follow the better :super
  3. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, what #s @hansi ?
    We have a nephew chasing for 522x again this year, we will be following along from here.
    I think EZ300 was on 522x last year.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    When traveling from San Flippy to Coco's, watch out for the "Oh Shit Dips" just south of Flippy around Laguna Percebu.

23546777.jpg
    This is looking north. Notice the two black spots in the south bound lane. The first is where cars bottom in the vado, the second is where the suspension bottoms out after landing!
    wrk2surf and cavebiker like this.
  5. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    The race isn't going through San Felipe this year, staying closer to the pacific side up north.
  6. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    We've launched a truck on those more than once
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Forsure! we need to time it right to get to the course near Coco's before the first bikes come through. I have not done the calculations yet. ?? 400 miles on a bike in Baja staring at 2:00 AM, 12 hours maybe if faster than H? A couple hours for fudge factor so before noon on Thursday we need to be setup and ready. So fun
  8. hansi

Oddometer:

I don't know the numbers of the two motos from OMA KTM yet, will post them here as soon as I know.
    How long will it take for the first bike to reach Cocos? 7ish hours maybe? Around 9am?
    Wonder how busy Cocos place is going to be for camping the night of the 18th ? We just might camp on the beach at Gonzaga and ride to Cocos early in the am.
    @cavebiker : Let's have some tacos and beer in SF on the 16th or 17th at the Taco factory and compare notes.
    cavebiker and Hohmie like this.
  9. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    7-8 hours most likely
    cavebiker likes this.
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    When chasing for the winning Trophy Truck teams we use a 60 mph average and then add a bit of cushion to get to our chase locations. Mid pac racers are down in the 50 mph average.

Now that it’s paved through to Laguna Chapala, I’d camp up around Gonzaga and sleep on the sand rather than on the Rocky hard ground around Coco’s.
    Big Tall Bastard and hansi like this.
  11. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Great info! Solid plans are starting to form. Camp around Gonzaga bay and sleep on the sand sounds good to us. Looks like around 30 miles to Coco's from camp, that's doable to get there by 9:00 AM Thursday if the first bikes are there in 7 - 8 hours. I'll shoot you a PM. Fire up!

First Baja trip back on 05'

[​IMG]
    Jim K in PA, enduro16, knight and 2 others like this.
  12. hansi

Oddometer:
    Team OMA KTM : 332X, KTM 500 331X, Husqvarna 501
    cavebiker likes this.
  13. chavo_dakar_bolivia

chavo_dakar_bolivia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Cavebiker! great to hear you'll be following along!
    I have been preparing by training in motocross tracks, some small enduro routes and some small fire road sections I have locally. On top of that I have been training a neuroscience based program with a real good personal trainer I met since last year which has yielded great results in past Bajas ... This helps me be mentally strong and just go into the "zone" for hours without feeling the actual time. I expect this next Baja 1000 to be a little less technical than 2020 version, and probably a little faster, so I guess that will be more fun for me.
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    its going to be unbelievably tough to Ironman this one !
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    From race mile 250 to 350 is pretty rough. From Checkpoint 2 to San Ignacio is silt & basalt and can be really gnarly. From San Ignacio out through La Purimisa to Hwy 1 is the the same O' bland O', super fast along the mud flats. The section where it comes out to Highway 1 and follows the base of the mountain between the mountain and the highway also has tricky silt sections. From Loreto up to Mission San Javier and back to the coast is pretty standard stuff. The same with from where you cross BSC 53 north of Insurgentes all the way to La Paz has also been done dozens of times. One thing I will say about that section is the brush has HUGE thorns on branches made of steel and the combination absolutely shreds you and draws blood if you get within 5 feet of it! Hahah

The section below Insurgentes with the thorns when I was with the Oshkosh team in 2010:

Oshkosh Extreme Racing - LCV on the Baja 01.jpg

Those little branches are like re-bar!
  16. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Have a great trip!
  17. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
  18. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    IMG_5949 (1).jpeg
    knight and cavebiker like this.
  19. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a link to a detailed map of the course for this years 1000?
  20. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Find all of Score Baja 1000 stuff right here. --> http://score-international.com/raceinfo/course-map/
    BUT there is a trick! At this Score site you FIRST need to click on the big Baja 1000 icon in the upper left. This will get you to this year's GPS tracks and maps. All the links on the first page are of an older 2016' loop race, got me at first also, da.
    knight likes this.