2021 COTAH DUAL SPORT RALLY - participants discussion and preparation thread.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Piedrosa, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Piedrosa

Piedrosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://cotahrallyadventures.com/

COTAH RALLY ADVENTURES will be hosting a dual sport rally raid event September 10th thru September 14th, 2021. Please follow the posted link with all of the information for this event. The entry fee is $900.00 and it is a recreational competitive event that starts and ends in Montrose, Colorado. Please visit the Vendors Forum where we look forward to answering any questions that you might have about this event.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cotah-dual-sport-rally.1439799/

IMG-4750.jpg
    BobcatSig and spacely like this.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Please post all replies, enquiries or comments regarding the commercial aspects of this event among yourselves in the Vendors thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/cotah-dual-sport-rally.1439799/ - or ideally via the organisers website https://cotahrallyadventures.com/

This is another great initiative to try and raise the level of interest in motorcycle rally/raid style events in the United States on the wave of awarenes that has come with DAKAR, the Baja Rally, Sonora Rally and So Cal Rally etc.

Thank you all for your participation on the ADVRider.com RACING forum - always a supporter of Rally and Adventure riding initiatives for the US based inmates.

Good luck to Piedrosa with this undertaking, and best of luck to all involved or participating in the COTAH Adventure Rally.
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    FYI, to all COTAH participants or prospects

when Piedrosa - the organiser - of the COTAH Adventure Rally first approached me and asked where he might profile the event to get the most attention from the ADVRider community, I said that I'd be happy to sticky a post on the RACING forum, and that a thread for the discussion of the event by participants would also be welcomed (like the other events you mentioned). But being that the enterprise is a commercial one, I suggested that a thread in vendors were more applicable for the commercial aspects such as entry fees or such and that any administration of the event (re entries accommodation etc) better be served via the COTAH's own website/e-mail - and not on the forum. Which has been respectfully followed - I might add. :thumbup

The Racing forum mods and site admins have absolutely no problem with a discussion thread about the COTAH Adventure Rally for participants or interested parties being continued here on the RACING forum... in fact - it is more than welcome. :clap

// Troy
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Welcome and good luck to all COTAH participants. :clap
  5. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Admin gave me permission to start a discussion on this here main page for the first running of the Cotah Rally (Colorado/Utah). I’m not affiliated with the organizer, but am registered to run this as my first ever rally.

I wanted to start a discussion that interested parties could easily access to discuss topics related to the Rally, its organization, impact, successes/failures, criticisms/praises, etc. basically, to do what ADVRider does best. Below is the narrative description of the Rally from the event website.

https://cotahrallyadventures.com/

“SEPTEMBER 10 Thru September 14, 2021.
    COTAH DUAL SPORT RALLY
    8am- 6pm
    Check In - MONTROSE COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS, MONTROSE, COLORADO

COTAH Dual Sport Rally, an AMA Sanctioned event, is created for riders that enjoy a sense of freedom, unbelievable scenery, and solitary wilds of the west. COTAH Rally is a four-day, five-hundred-seventy-mile riding event requiring the use of a paper roadbook and Stella 3 EVO tracking system. Riders will start and end in Montrose, CO USA. Part of the route traverses the Uncompahgre Plateau of Colorado and Paradox Basin of Utah. This event is not a maximum speed event. Winning will be a combination of the rider’s navigation and riding skills. Equipment reliability is paramount. All participants must be able to navigate backcountry single track, ATV trails, 4X4 roads, county roads and state highways without navigation errors or break downs. This is not a closed course event. All riders must obey state traffic code/laws. It is all about personal and bike preparation, machine reliability, self-sufficiency, planning, navigation and camaraderie. This is a Malle Moto style event with different bivouacs every night. Riders must rely on themselves for mechanical issues that may arise. Participants are the only ones allowed to work on equipment, this is not a crew or team supported event. Participants can receive maintenance assistance from other participants if it is offered. If a participant cannot keep their machine running to finish the event, they will be a DNF. All riders are encouraged to offer assistance to fellow participants. This event is open to 4 stroke 250cc to 540cc street legal and license plated motorcycles only. COTAH 2021 will have thirty participants. Again, this is not a maximum speed event.

This Time-Speed-Distance Rally has been designed so a participant will never exceed legal speed limits. Riders are given a set of route instructions with maximum speeds thru challenging trails and roads published in their roadbook.

During this event you may never be able to recoup from time penalties from speeding, the Stella 3 EVO will be used for satellite tracking of speed, time, distance, route, location and earned time penalties for speeding. It has been used for rally events in Mexico and Greece where speed control is mandated. The device will alert the participant of speed limits as they are indicated in the participant’s roadbook. Another advantage is with Stella 3 EVO there is no need for timers at start or finish it is all done by satellite tracking. The rider is responsible for making sure that the tracker is always on and it stays connected to battery terminals and antenna throughout the length of the rally. A rider will be disqualified if the tracker is lost, destroyed, turned off or they try to manipulate the tracker. “
  6. Calbone417

Calbone417 n00b

Oddometer:
    Troopthrowback I will be there as well. This will be my first sanctioned rally and looking forward to it.
    BobcatSig and TroopThrowback like this.
  7. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great running of the blind leading the blind!

Jk, but seriously.

Anyone else you know that’s going? Where are you traveling from?
  8. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    I realize there is some criticism of the way the Cotah Rally is being administered and the strictness of the rules. I’d love to hear opinions that are out there, discuss, and see what alternatives may be offered to the organizer about how to improve.

I know the use of paypal for entry fees was problematic, I ended up sending a personal check. Anybody else have issues registering?

How about the mandatory SAR cards and OHV registrations? Played bike mandate?

I can’t be the only one thinking about this and/or going!
  9. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going and am looking forward to a new experience. I have been riding unofficial road book rides for many years now. This will be new for me to follow a road book to ride bivouac to bivouac and camp out at each. This will put a real big emphasis on being prepared at the start. Most of the rules and requirements are common sense things related to that. All of them are based on a need to mitigate risk, make sure the participants are ready for what they will be facing, and to appease land managers and insurance companies. I, like many others, would like to be running mousses but they are not street legal. I will put in tubes and go for a fun ride. I am pretty excited to load all my camping gear in a box and not have to carry it on the bike! Some of the requirements like the SAR cards make sense and cost almost nothing. Why not support the local communities and the state agencies they rely on to get paid?

I have led many long distance multiple day bike camping rides. I spent a LOT of time working on the routes and organizing my co-riders. We don't have "rules" but we do have a big multiple page list of suggestions to make sure all the bikes and riders are ready for the challenge. It ranges from wait at intersections to our pink ribbon gate rule to how to use SpotWalla to what to pack to where we are going and on and on. None of us wants to wait while another rider fixes something on their bike in the middle of the ride.

The organizers of Cotah Rally are doing this for their first time. I have seen other organizers develop and refine their roadbooks over time as they received feedback from the participants about their event. Having talked to @Piedrosa multiple times over the last couple years, I know he is waiting and wanting our feedback. He is blazing a trail to have more official nav rally events in the USA and that is great. We should all support him and try to follow his lead to have more. This ride is something different than what we have had to try around here before.

Advice from me is if this is your first time using a roll chart or following a roadbook, make sure to get your kit on your bike, get on Rally Navigator and make some routes, load them up, and get out there and test. You don't want to have your gear falling off your bars 10 miles into the first day. Believe me, it happens to everyone so get out there and try it out. Plus where you think your switches should be and your roadbook should be in the shop will probably not be where you want them after you ride a bit.
  10. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. And also sharing your wisdom with a newcomer.

Sounds like the “official ness” or maybe the competitiveness of Cotah lends itself to relieving the organizer of some of the hardships you’ve experienced as an organizer of informal events. Sounds like your appropriately enthused.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m inviting criticism so we can have that healthy feedback loop to make these events better and more prolific. My participation in this event (like this thread) is almost purely in an effort to be able to perhaps be a part of organizing a like competition in my own area.

I look forward to meeting you (once I’ve repaired my roadbook holder appropriately!)
  11. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Michael: Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the event when you come out to SoCal. I was really interested in this event but could not fit it in.
  12. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are right. Doing something crossing multiple land manager's property (including BLM, NF, private property, and local towns) requires much more coordination which leads to more "rules". And then keeping a certain element of "racing" adds more rules to keep the field level. Finally designating the event as "entry level" requires even more guidelines to share with the riders what they should do and have along to succeed and complete the route. The Mexican rallys have lots of rules and guidelines too but obviously there are less requirements from the landowners than there are here in the US. @Piedrosa may have erred a bit on the side of too many regulations but he wants to make sure all the riders, communities, landowners & land-managers are happy once the event is over so we can all follow the trail he is blazing to try to have more of these things in the US.

As I mentioned, everyone thinks they have their stuff mounted perfectly their first time. I had my roadbook assembly loosen up on a ride outside of Pahrump about 20 minutes into my first roadbook a few years ago. I got to spend some time along the route watching other riders zoom past me as I fixed it up. In addition to a test ride (or 2), try to make sure you have the stuff you need to tighten things back up on the trail! Oh and bring extra tape!

Anybody going from the Pacific Northwest?
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  13. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll be at this - coming from Atlanta. I just completed getting all the permits last night and about to start building up my bike and putting together my kit.

I heard about this event just a couple weeks ago while listening to Chasing Waypoints podcast and literally signed up a day before registration closed. Like others here, it will be my first rally and a way to get some experience before doing more established rallies like Sonora.

I’m rally excited that someone has cracked the code on creating a multi-agency, multi-state competitive rally in the U.S. Everyone, especially business that cater to this niche should go above and beyond to support this event as it could be the model for more competitive events and even ones that have unlimited specials within a stage. Being limited to 45 mph is okay as it’s still going to make for real racing when going through more technical areas.

Looking forward to more discussions.
  14. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    I had planned on some roadbook training with my setup in the coming week. Some fires locally are cutting into my bike prep time, so wish me luck that I’ll get my new all dc stator wired up on my ktm 525 in time to go ride it when I have time off.

IMG_8072.jpg
    IMG_8099.jpg
  15. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    It's my intent to ride this rally. After speaking with @Piedrosa a few months ago; I'm hooked. I still need to work on the logistics of getting from Oregon to Montrose.

I've had a few shake-down rides and feel I have a decent set-up, though I need to fix some nav computer issues, true my wheels, and swap some grips. And there's the whole trunk kit, but that's nothing too groundbreaking. So it's mainly bike prep.

I am curious about the level of street-legality of the bikes. I know that's required and my Beta is plated with hi/lo beams and functioning brake lights. So I'm curious if we need turn signals and a horn?
  16. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @BobcatSig - I imagine lack of blinkers could be considered illegal depending on the LEO.
  17. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Iirc blinkers are not a requirement at Cotah, but lights, horn, and DOT tires ARE. I’ll see if I can find the source on that.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  18. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig likes this.
  19. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig is planning on coming from Oregon, does that count?
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    if it's anything like Wyoming, Montana, and the rural parts of Oregon and Washington; blinkers aren't a requirement. But yes, a LEO could exercise some specificity and ticket a rider.

I knew I read it somewhere. Looks like I need to refit the horn and figure out a rearview mirror.