2021 COTAH DUAL SPORT RALLY - participants discussion and preparation thread.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Piedrosa, Mar 30, 2021.

1. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. I was going to delete my blinkers and go with a friend's suggestion of LED strips. Maybe I'll just delete them.
  2. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had heard something about being able to bring extra wheels for spares that’ll be moved along with the “bivouac” crew that don’t have to fit in the supplied spares/tools/camping footlocker, but I cannot find that info on the website. Does anyone know if that is the case?
  3. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watching with interest.

I hope that this event is a success!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Buying all my SAR cards, Club memberships, OHV Registrations this morning.

It’s starting to feel quite real!
  5. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Just got confirmation on the “spare wheel set” rumor and clarification that any and all spares parts and tools, equipment, etc must fit into the rider’s tote issued by the organizer.

So no spare tires or wheel sets will be shuttled by the organizer.

Too bad mc tires don’t fold up like bicycle tires do!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Just did a little roadbook practice using my impromptu digital setup. Rally Navigator doesn’t seem to be working right on my knockoff Samsung tablet, so I ran it off my iPhone SE. Worked darn well coupled with a cheap Amazon Bluetooth music controller for scrolling and odometer adjustments. Despite the tiny screen I was able to navigate with few errors.

I did learn that the Roadbook is out of date in a rather severe way. not a huge deal, and definitely adds some training value since there’s no expectation for perfection.

I was suspicious when I realized the route took me into a very new housing development with fresh pavement and new homes. I was able to check the “errors” (simply old info) and get back on course. Until I came across a part of the trail that was darn near impassable. At that point I abandoned the roadbook and just made a loop enjoying the varied terrain. My loop had me return through the super difficult section and going down it was only slightly better. I made it out, but by the skin of my teeth. I do not think the route was at this difficulty level when Mike Shirley made the book several years ago.

It was good to get out and practice. Good to work through the frustration to discover the true route.

I need finish my paper roadbook wiring so I can practice with paper next.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m scrambling to get all my stuff together as I signed up at the last minute and had to buy a road-legal bike. Can’t wait to get a roadbook in place - I’m going to try and create my own on routes I don’t know. Unfortunately, I’ve ridden every piece of dirt road within 100 mile’s of Atlanta, but a friend of mine told me about some dirt farm roads to the east and southeast of Atlanta. I’ll just make the book from Google maps to Rally Navigator and piece it together (if that’s how it works). Hoping to be doing this by this weekend and then start grinding seat-time. Hoping this bikes’ seat is comfortable enough for 8 hour days but I’ll try and stay up on the pegs the majority of the time.
  8. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    What bike is it?
  9. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    As it so happens I’m in that exact same boat. I bought a second bike (ktm 525) that took less work to prep than the Husky 450 I had planned on (that was already plated). So I had to quickly throw together the required equipment to get the ktm a license plate. Then the roadbook setup. I’m still wiring that. I tried a few different hand controls for the “dual sport kit” and have given up on all of them for now. Simply wiring a momentary switch for the horn and a toggle for headlight and roadbook power (do I know if it loses power!). Taillight is simply wired to run if engine is running. As simple as it gets.

I at least have tons of trails around that I don’t have memorized, so if I can eek out the time I can get some practice in. The challenge lies in actually making books. That takes time. And skill.
  10. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    David Black and MasterMarine like this.
  11. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Husky 501 w/ an IMS 4.5. A little bigger tank than I wanted, but they had it in stock.
    TroopThrowback likes this.
  12. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is where I heard about this rally - I was traveling on July 26 and listening to the podcast.
  13. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Been doing as much training rides as possible now. Thanks to rally navigator app and a functioning roadbook setup (I’ve got paper roadbook working!!!)

The system seems to work. What have you been doing to prepare? 2FD92841-1C31-46CA-92ED-31F646ACEB00.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    7288FE94-D906-4FE9-A8AC-5F932F8CF55C.jpg
  14. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
  15. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Well then... three antennas? Alrighty then.
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Rally Comp has 3 antennas:

1- GPS tracking antenna
    2- Data satellite antenna
    3- RF antenna to transmit results at finish line.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    A question for @Piedrosa regarding bike tech. I see requirements for hi/lo beam headlights. I'm currently running a Baja Designs light as a part of the RMS Sonora Rally Tower and it's connected to a switch that only allows for on/off of the light. It should work off/lo/hi, but something isn't wired correctly. Will an on/off light pass tech?
  18. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    I have the same question. Also a baja designs (squadron) with only 2 wire connection.
  19. Piedrosa

Piedrosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes if you can put yellow film over the lens if it is running in Hi mode which will tone it down so that you are not blinding another vehicle on the road if you guys are coming in late to the bivouac after the sun goes down. I have faith in you guys to be in the bivouac before the sun goes down:happay
    BobcatSig likes this.
  20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a yellow lens for an older squadron pro lamp that someone can use if they need it. It will probably not work over a lens that is not flat. It is just a piece of yellow lexan that can be put in between the aluminum face and the lens. It is not the newer setup where it snaps over the aluminum face. It would work best on a Spot pattern where the lens is just flat and doesn’t have any optics molded into it.

Another thing you can do if running the bd is to just reach up and push the lamp down so it is shining more down in town and then twist it back up as needed for high beam in the woods.

Check out the Motominded solutions with 2 lamps so you can have individually aimed high and low beam lamps too. They have them for other brands and models too.

https://www.motominded.com/collecti...450-500/products/ktm-2017-exc-250-350-450-500
    Piedrosa and TroopThrowback like this.