2021 COTAH DUAL SPORT RALLY - participants discussion and preparation thread.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Piedrosa, Mar 30, 2021.

1. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
  2. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smoke can’t be as bad as my only legal training area these days. I’ll take whatever comes.

IMG_8611.jpg
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, where are the pics and ride reports?

Bummer Michael got hurt.
  4. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    From my buddy riding the event on his Beta 390. I'm posting without his permission but he won't mind
    102126.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Sorry it was a whirlwind! No cell service for most of it, no energy left for social media when there was service!

Most are on their way home now. I got in at 9pm last night but sweeping right into my work week.

Being my first Rally, my first motorcycle competition of any type, and my first year of real dirt biking, my perspective is a little narrow. That said, I had a blast, and can’t wait for my next opportunity to Rally.

I apologize for the shortness. I’ll post more comprehensively when I’m in front of a computer this evening. For now, a few photos.

Most of my riding photos were taken with an old canon power shot which I have not yet downloaded photos from. This selection is from bivouacs where I had access to my iPhone.

Admin day and Stage 1 Bivouac:

IMG_8721.jpg
    IMG_8725.jpg
    A4BFA9E6-5EAF-4663-AD93-2CCE45D7506D.jpg
    38BB437F-F54B-45A1-BE66-8BBA69146781.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8734.jpg

Stage 1 Bivouac. Amazingly gorgeous meadow with a midnight thunderstorm. The packing list is no joke. Bring it all, you’ll likely put it to use.

We were joined by cows watering at the “meadow/reservoir” and later at sundown by Mule deer. This was all a welcome sight after 200km of narrow woods 2 track and steep Rocky sideslope hill climbs and descents. Sharp, loose, large rocks, mud, woods, and even (as sadly MasterMarine would discover) sand. Widely varied terrain with elevations close to 10k.

IMG_8741.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    K_N_Fodder and MasterMarine like this.
  6. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Stage 2 bivouac.

This stage took us from woods into the heart of Moab. Lots more rocks, mixed with some sand and even a little slick rock. The night before’s thunderstorm provided some great moisture to the Sandy sections, keeping them nicely packed for no dust, fast, smooth travel. I was surprised to discover that thunderstorm was NOT only local to our bivouac as the clouds would have suggested. 200km stage again today and most of it had been rained on! It also kept temperatures down as low to mid 90s were on the forecast and no shade for protection from the Bright Orange Ball.

That protection ran out by the time we got to Bivouac 2 at Dewey Bridge Campground on the Colorado River. efforts were made to MacGuyver some shade as a quick dip in the swift Colorado wasn’t enough to stave off BOB until sunset.

Our route to get there included a mind numbing 26km control speed section through Sand Flats Recreation Area, a Moab local County Rec Area and the location of famed “Hell’s Revege” and “Fins N Things” trailheads. Yes, 26km at 30kph on a 40’ foot wide graded gravel road will destroy your brain and your right wrist as the constant washboard wants to destroy your spine. The only saving grace was the constant scenery. (See Canon Powershot photos forthcoming)

IMG_8756.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8759.jpg
    IMG_8766.jpg
    IMG_8761.jpg
    IMG_8767.jpg
  7. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Stage 3 finished at a private campground back on the Colorado River again this time in Palisade Colorado. The stage was an all desert stage, including an impressive rock wall climb, power line road scramble, and 3 waypoints off-Piste in rolling sage bluffs (with absolute cliffs of insanity!) At the beginning of the off piste section some film crew was doing some slow roll boom work on a sxs at the staging area. I wonder what they thought of my wandering lost back and forth in front of their expensive camera. Im sure they could tell what I was doing was important.

Today’s stage also included a fantastic section of water crossings in a huge gorge. I cannot stress how gorgeous all the areas have been. Having visited the area several times in the past (but never on 2 wheels) I am in awe of the constant scenery and how rapid the terrain changes.

Each of our past 2 bivouacs put us on the banks of the Colorado. I for one was incapable of resisting a dip each day at trails end!

The announcement went out that stage 4 the following morning would have an early start time at 0700 instead of the usual 0800. That and the perfect evening temperatures precluded me from setting up my tent. A night under the stars was just what my aching body needed!

IMG_8772.jpg
    IMG_8774.jpg
    IMG_8775.jpg
    IMG_8779.jpg
    K_N_Fodder and MasterMarine like this.
  8. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    A few shots of fellow Cotah Rally racers at a fuel stop on stage 4. JL sure they’re flattered to be included.

IMG_8784.jpg
    IMG_8791.jpg
    IMG_8788.jpg
    MasterMarine likes this.
  9. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Rally Finish and Awards

Okay so last in for the day due to a front flat (that Parker DT still went 100km with zero air in it!) and a grievous navigation error after making nary a mistake all week on the roadbook. Lends one to learn to never get overconfident on tour navigation. All my self satisfaction evaporated the instant I realized I had traveled about 3km without seeing a confirming note! Well at least the route I chose had some fun sections.

I discovered my front flat after the first of two fuel stops for the day. A Fellow rider Cal pointed to my front tire and said “hey that looks low”. I put some air in it from my bicycle pump and realized within 20km it wasn’t holding any air.

Our next fuel stop was around km 124. Feeling like I really should’ve used my mandatory fuel stop time (15 minutes) to change a tube, I decided to continue to do the change at the next fuel point. Our route did include a significant portion of speed controlled smooth road and highway that would prevent me from losing too much time in the transit.

I arrived at the second fuel stop and set to work. Propping the 525s frame against a nice tree on the gas station lawn in the shade, I took my front wheel off right as the sprinklers came on. : (

The level of distraction as a result of that stupid sprinkler in indescribable. Seemed to hit me on the face every time I focused on my task. I threw my body armor over it and got the tube changed. Classic pinch flat near the valve stem. Packed back up and back on my way.

Rally Finish. Tired but accomplished.
    IMG_8793.jpg

Third Place Overall:

Cal from Oklahoma. I had a great time talking to him and watching him blast past me riding so smoothly it was mesmerizing. He doesn’t even look like he’s going that fast! Seated and silky. We had great conversations and wish he didn’t live so far!
    IMG_8795.jpg

Second Place Overall:

Gavin from Texas/Wyoming.

Smooth talking Texan was calm and calculated. Skill and stealth is a deadly combo.
    IMG_8797.jpg

First Place Overall:

Warren from Denver. A wealth of knowledge and skill. By the sound of it we’ll be seeing more of you at Rally events in the future.

IMG_8802.jpg

Overall I’m so glad to have been a part of this inaugural Rally Raid in the USA. The participants, volunteers, Director, and course were all so inspiring and welcoming that I cannot imagine someone NOT having a good time at an event like this.

I’m sorry that MasterMarine got injured and wasn’t able to continue. You’ll have to come back next year to see what you missed!

I know I left a lot out. Please ask your questions to help me fill in the blanks after this shotgun rundown I just gave.

Happy Trails!

Troop
  10. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for pics and info. Looks like you covered some impressive terrain.

How many riders started?

congrats to riders and organizers for tackling this event.

Cool trophy’s!

Mike
    Piedrosa and MasterMarine like this.
  11. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Ten riders started. One injured out stage 1 and two others volunteer DNF after stage 1.
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Stupid speed zone penalties and navigation errors. I missed out on the podium. Next year...

Like @TroopThrowback said; the terrain we rode and the ground we covered was spectacular. One minute, you're at tree line, ripping through mountain meadows, and the next; you're down in the desert, picking your way through rock gardens. Petroglyphs, wildlife, epic views, remote bivouacs, desert, mountains, and everything in between. It had it all. If you thought about going and didn't - you missed out.

More than that was the seeming mountain of time and effort @Piedrosa put in with his crew to pull this off. It was truly a monumental effort. And a real, legit, malle moto-style rally happened in the USA.

Mark your calendars for next year so you don't miss out again.
  13. Piedrosa

Piedrosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My family and friends thank you guys for taking the chance to come participate in our rally and we love the way you stepped into it with an open mind for a rally being conducted in the U.S.. As I have stated before there are other people who took the time to listen to me and give me their experience in rally for us to cobble this together IMG-0314.jpg IMG-0315.jpg IMG-0318.jpg IMG-0301.jpg IMG-0304.jpg IMG-0303.jpg IMG-0163.jpg IMG-0179.jpg IMG-0088.jpg . Everyone put out that monumental human effort to complete the rally even though you were continuously fatigued from the endurance to complete each stage, the navigational work and the drive to get up and do it every day for four days and to prep your bikes every day. Then setup and take down your bivouac gear, the camaraderie was outstanding. I knew I should never drink with BT before I met him but the party afterwards was the bomb and he is a hoot and we closed the place down with you guys. That was a hell of a chess move you pulled off TroopThrowBack with waiting for the mandatory fuel stop to change your tire. I like the way you were instructing the other riders on dead reckoning at the pub. I will remember this moment for the rest of the great moments in my life because it was wonderful to see you guys pull off your helmets and have that dirt eater look and grin about your times and the terrain or wince from a time penalty. So for those that did not participate this year hopefully we shall see you next year. When I get a chance I will post the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishing times but until then here are some pictures out of the many that were taken by everyone. Also thanks to Mike Shirley for putting up with my questions for using Rally Navigator nothing like learning on the fly so that you can host a professional rally. Master Marine we shall see you next year my friend whether you ride or not.

So get ready to get your nav on for next year!
    Mike Graves
    COTAH RALLY ADVENTURES

Attached Files:

14. David Black

David Black Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m still collecting all my media and will post a more in-depth update and report in the next few days.
    MasterMarine and Piedrosa like this.
  15. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    We’re all in your debt for your coverage and are patiently waiting your posts!
    MasterMarine and Piedrosa like this.
  16. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
    So here are the Overall Times :
    101 Duston McConnell- DNF
    102 Billy Trapp - 29 hrs 45 min 25 sec
    103 Gavin Ferguson - 22 hrs 21 min 19 sec (2nd Place)
    104 Cal Saunders - 24 hrs 5 min 51 sec (3rd Place)
    105 Michael Clough - DNF
    106 Tim Winder - DNF
    107 Jared Wambaugh- 30 hrs 50 min 4 sec
    108 Warren Healey - 22 hrs 13 min 56 sec (1st Place)
    109 David Black - 33 hrs 0 min 42 sec
    110 - Ryan Donahue 25 hrs 54 min 47 sec
    :wings:happay:super
  17. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
    IMG_0331 (1).jpeg IMG_0326 (1).jpeg IMG_0330 (2).jpeg IMG_0329 (1).jpeg IMG_0328 (1).jpeg IMG_0327 (1).jpeg IMG_0307 (1).jpeg IMG_0309.jpeg IMG_0313.jpeg IMG_0320.jpeg
  18. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
  19. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
  20. Piedrosa

Oddometer: