2021 COTAH DUAL SPORT RALLY - participants discussion and preparation thread.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Piedrosa, Mar 30, 2021.

1. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Remind me; who participated in the COTAH Rally and who didn't? :D
    David Black likes this.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    101 Duston McConnell- DNF
    102 Billy Trapp - 29 hrs 45 min 25 sec
    103 Gavin Ferguson - 22 hrs 21 min 19 sec (2nd Place)
    104 Cal Saunders - 24 hrs 5 min 51 sec (3rd Place)
    105 Michael Clough - DNF
    106 Tim Winder - DNF
    107 Jared Wambaugh- 30 hrs 50 min 4 sec
    108 Warren Healey - 22 hrs 13 min 56 sec (1st Place)
    109 David Black - 33 hrs 0 min 42 sec
    110 - Ryan Donahue 25 hrs 54 min 47 sec

everyone else - didn't

In other words - the majority of the planet. :rofl
  3. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m again trying to figure out why every thread has to turn into some sort of ego driven dick measuring contest by folks with a laundry list of accolades that have pretty much gotten us to where we are with rally in the USA. Which is really nowhere.

All the rallies listed (including the qualifier of “North America”) we are familiar with. Most who came to Cotah have participated in one or more of those already. So to presume absolute ignorance is again trying to “stretch the foreskin” as it were.

We are all very appreciative of the experience and knowledge shared by those who’ve been in the game for decades, years, or even months. We mean no disrespect.

When it comes to it though, trying to minimize Cotah because one doesn’t like the constraints, inexperience of the organizer, or location, just stinks of old fashioned “badge protection” if you ask me. Just because I’m new to rally doesn’t mean I’m new to recognizing a protectionist environment when I smell one.

Again, I mean no disrespect to those who host this site and constantly offer online and real support to ralliers near and far. We are all trying to find our place out here and get together to spread the joy wherever and whenever we can.

FYI only two participants were from Colorado or Utah, the two states where Cotah was held. The rest came from Texas, oregon, washington, California, Georgia, and Oklahoma. And I think ad 15 hours each way my trip from California was among the shortest.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    TroopThrowback likes this.
  5. Piedrosa

Piedrosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess this would be the best place to start first. The AMA is going to start a rally classification where as before they had none and next year our rally will not be a recreational event as classified by the AMA but a competitive event held by a competitive charter organization next year. The only part is now writing the rules, policies and procedures which is not going to be that bad. Two members of the AMA board have rally backgrounds and are very excited for what we have done. So for you first ten riders thank you again for taking a chance. You will not be forgotten when you register for our events and will always pay the entry fee that you paid for 2021 and not a penny more. You will also be the first ten off the start line every year because of being senior if the regs that are being developed allow it.
  6. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    Well, since I live in the Grand Junction area, having this rally come right through here last month, without any idea of it's existence, is very disappointing. I'm definitely looking forward to next year's event, even perhaps having our club involved at some level. If you need some help in course layout, I spend most of my time riding between here and Moab, and have quite a number of favorite routes.
  7. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that, I put a flyer on the events board at the KTM shop in GJ but advertising for the event was pretty much word of mouth. We look forward to next year and are already scouting stages. Follow us on IG, if you want we are always posting there. If you have any questions, email or call me my contact information is on our website. Getting ready to head back over Monday if you have time for coffee and thanks for wanting to be part of next years event.
  8. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This could be a really big deal right here... well done Piedrosa.
  9. Piedrosa

Oddometer:
    Thanks and we cannot wait for next year, because the days will be longer in the saddle and a lot more dirt over pavement next year, now that we have passed muster with federal land managers. I have been scouting stages before the snow flies and all I have been doing is grinning ear to ear from the terrain and where to put waypoints. I will post the dates for 2022s rally on the vendors website and where parties that are interested can ask questions.

25775.jpg