2021 EM Epure Comp

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Norman Foley, May 21, 2020.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are worried about depreciation Yinzer, don't put money into any motorcycles:smile6

I just foolishly put an additional $2k into a 17-year-old KLR... just because I like the bike a lot.

There are now enough years on the electrics to evolve them out of the early-adopter phase with no gear boxes and clutches. Mechanically they are now good, in my opinion. The remaining hold back is inefficiency and lack of range compared to gasoline burners.

Inefficiency because it takes a lot of energy to recharge batteries and size and weight of batteries can't come close to the energy density of liquid fossil fuels.

Buying a current top model like the EPure Race you see you good for a bike to ride. The battery will be the biggest hold back for me. One could buy an EPure Race now and down the road make a custom battery pack made from future super cells.

Of all the off-road riding venues trials is the current best for the E bikes because we ride loops and return to base. But the batteries need to go to a power-tools format of fast-swap batteries (if they haven't done so already). Coming to an event with multiple charged packs (that one can actually afford) that can be fast swapped with zero tools is a way to address battery shortcomings. I have many Makita 18V tools and have 6 batteries ($100 for a 5Ah battery), and one charger that takes 10 minutes to recharge a battery. That's a practical working scenario for adoption and even dominance of cordless over corded.

May the E bikes get there....
  2. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  3. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have one rider in our local area with a 4 or 5 year old EM 5.7 I just messaged him on what he would think it's worth. Right now electric is the fringe of a fringe group. Not many are in the hands of a serious trials rider on any level, and I don't mean just riders who are riding competitions.... just someone who tries to ride something resembling a trials section. These bikes are in the hands of electrical hobbyists and tinkerers mostly.

It's actually not advancing that quickly, but may in the next few years..... In real trials bikes there is only one actual player right now, and that's EM. Yamaha is an engineering exercise, and so is Gas Gas for the moment. KTM may ramp that up quickly, but their KTM and Husky electric offerings are not presently ground breaking. Mecatecno is coming very slowly, but so far seems to be the most advanced..... multi-speed transmission, hydraulic clutch, lightest weight. Product launch is 20 months behind schedule though.

Back to EM. They are 10 years in and the EPure is the second commercially available model. Slight improvements in motors and batteries, with the mechanical clutch the big advance. It's not like you barely get your IPhone home and the next one is already out. Some people who bought the Race, might be wishing they got a Comp though.
  4. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, very few buyers and very few sellers for new let alone second hand so it really just comes down to what a person is willing to sell or buy one for... it will be interesting to see how long that one for sale will take to sell.
    Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can easily remove the automatic clutch from the KLR and sell separate.

Oh, I am aware of the depreciation of motorcycles and that depreciation clicks with my mindset. This seems like a whole new level. It is why I am not into racing cars, I can’t afford to write off 10’s of thousands of dollars a year. Like the phone reference below, basically writing off a large part of the value upon bringing it home. The EM race is a $11k ish bike. The Comp is probably more.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. sprinter27

sprinter27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    another feed i have shows them sold out already !
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    EM Epure Race is $10,299 plus shipping. Epure Comp is about $1000 more.
    geewizard, jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  9. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    EM posted on FB and IG, that the Comp sold out in a week. There would still be a few for sale with dealers though. The new USA EM Importer won’t have any available.
    jonnyc21 and Super Dirt Dud like this.
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    How do you know all this stuff?:D
    Norman Foley likes this.
  11. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    OCD....
    DyrWolf, Fallacy, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  12. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Norman's connected to the hilt!
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  13. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its something to do with the beard. But I can’t figure out what?
  14. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I'm like Santa.... I know when you're awake, I know when you're asleep......
    I know when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness's sake! :gerg
    Beatprojim and DyrWolf like this.
  15. geewizard

geewizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for you.

I own two trials bikes now, a 2017 Montesa Cota 4RT (for trials competitions) and a 1974 TY250 (for AHRMA competitions once a year).
    I ride the Montesa in my backyard without any neighbor complaints.

I think it is important to be very famillar with the bike you compete with and in my case it's my 4RT.

BUT......I want a EM Pure Race. The throttle and clutch and everything else will no doubt be quite different from my 4RT.
    Wouldn't I be better off putting more time into riding my 4RT than switching around with the EM Pure Race?

And who in their right mind would own THREE trials bikes??????
  16. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am assuming that is a Rhetorical Question... but why wouldn't you just compete on your EM ?
  17. geewizard

geewizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it is somewhat a rhetorical question, yes. I think I'd have to give the EM a good tryout and see if I like it better than my 4RT.
    It's a LOT of money to give it a try though......
  18. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was tempted the last time I was looking to buy a bike but had a chance to ride an electric bike trials bike made by a local university engineering class (without a clutch)... and quickly decided I would much prefer a bike with a clutch. It really helps if you can try something like this before you buy but with so few around it would probably mean flying someplace to try it (although flights are pretty cheap these days) ;-).
  19. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    If the neighbors are not having an issue with the 4RT then based one the limitations of range on the EM Pure and associated cost makes me think it would be better to just ride the 4RT a lot more and put in some better back yard obstacles then spend the money on the EM...

I wouldn’t expect the primary skills of trials to come any faster on an EM then a Montesa and you would be re-learning the feel, sound, power, and clutch differences so it would set you back a long way getting used to something that different than the Montesa.

If your wanting to upgrade then I would consider a Montesa 300RR as there are still a few to be found for a good price and they are a nice upgrade over a standard 4RT 260.

my 2 cents.

PS. Just noticed linaway’s comment on the Montesa thread... might be a good experience to get a OSSET 24 to play on to experiment with the electric bike?
    geewizard likes this.
  20. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    I bought a lightly used Oset 24 for $3000 which is an average price that shows they hold good resale value. It took me few hours to get used to not having a clutch and the odd throttle lag. I then found about a throttle mod that gets rid of the lag and then I needed another few hours to get used to that. I think I can do well competing with it in a class one lower than I would on my gas bike. I can't go as big on electric but have an advantage on some tight turns. A good thing is I can swap from electric one day to gas the next without any ill effects. I don't wish I had a clutch on the Oset, it just takes different throttle/brake skills.
    Champe and Junglejeff1 like this.