2021 F1 Thread (Will someone please take the fight to Sir Lewis)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoChuck250, Jan 16, 2021.

1. MotoChuck250

MotoChuck250 Not older than dirt

Oddometer:
    Let's start off with some predictions for the new year.
    2021 F1 Predictions

WDC goes to Lewis Hamilton again.

WCC goes to Mercedes again.

Bottas is out of the Mercedes at the end of 2021 and finishes third in the standings behind Max Verstappen.

Max is able to minimize his DNFs compared to 2020 but is still well behind Lewis. Four wins for Max this year. (A personal best)

Red Bull drivers place second (Max) and fourth (Checo) in the WDC.

Carlos Sainz will start out a bit slowly this year and will be hampered by team orders all year long. As the year progresses I expect that Carlos will start to approach the level of Charles.

Sebastain Vettel will dominate both his team mate Lance Stroll AND both Ferrari drivers in his new ride with Aston Martin. I expect at least one podium for Sebastian. I think that the Aston Martin will suit Seb much better than the Ferrari has in quite a while.

Save another podium for Daniel Ricciardo in the McLaren. I think Daniel will come fifth in the WDC.

Fernando Alonso will show some flashes of brilliance and maybe even snag a podium if everything happens right for him but will finish no better than seventh in the WDC.

Yuki Tsunoda will surprise everyone including Pierre Gasly this year. This will be one of the best team mate battles on the grid.

Kimi Raikkonen is out of F1 at the end of 2021

George Russell will score his first points in the Williams and will probably score points in at least two races.

Mick Schumacher scores no points this year unless there is a fluke. He does, however dominate Mazepin.
  2. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    I am thinking that we should make it official that spoilers are allowed and not worry about it. If you have the race recorded and have not watched it yet, simply avoid this thread like you would any F1 news website.

Please folks, keep the partisan politics to a minimum this year. We all know there are plenty of racing politics in the FIA but we don't want to get this thread punted to the CS&M forum like it was for a few days last year.
    dave074, SinOfSaul, steved57 and 6 others like this.
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I don't have much if anything to argue with you there.
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  4. RTF

RTF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Great post and agree on all accounts. The only thing I’m not so sure about is Sebs performance, he very well may surprise us though.
    BLucare, MotoChuck250 and ontrip like this.
  5. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good predictions MC250 and here are some of mine.

Without doubt, Hamilton gets his 8th WDC but then retires immediately after.

Max pressures Hamilton all season and finishes 2nd and joins Mercedes for 2022.

Seb in the Green Mercedes (Aston Martin) will be 3rd ahead of Checho and Bottas.

Charles wins a race and Carlos gets a podium but run into each other at least once. Ferrari gets a management overhaul during or ahead of 2022.

McLaren starts slowly but then come on strongly at the end of the season and threaten Aston as the top Mercedes customer team. Daniel has better race day pace but is matched by Lando in qualifying.

Russell will finally get a point with Williams and join Mercedes with Max for 2022.

Alonso shows flashes of brilliance when Mercedes or others trip up and takes a a controversial win, provoking the UK based and biased F1 pundits to label him the villain in the outcome as usual.
  6. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    Well you certainly made some riskier predictions than I did. I can't quite feature Lewis leaving after winning his 8th championship but strange things happen. Max vrs George would certainly make for an interesting team mate battle.
    ontrip likes this.
  7. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree and let’s be civil and respectful of each other and support arguments with foundation instead of personal attacks.
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  8. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Then, for the love of doG, stop with the Hamilton attacks (nearly) every single post. I despise Alonso but I don't constantly bash him.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  9. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Great post with lots to think about :thumb

Personally, not sure Lewis will retire at the end of the season but I CAN see Russel joining him.
    shrineclown likes this.
  10. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    Ok, guys let's not start out getting all accusatory. Yes, most of us have a favorite driver and also have a driver or drivers who we may find a bit irksome. Keep it civil for the thorn in your side is someone else's favorite driver. Don't post anything you wouldn't say to a fellow F1 fan down at your local pub. (Assuming you're not the type that goes to the pub for the joy of getting into fights)

Some good natured humor is entirely appropriate.
    BLucare and ontrip like this.
  11. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    I would love to have at least one year of Hamilton and Russell as teammates at Mercedes even if Merc might not be the dominant car in 2022. We know how Alonso, Kovailinen, Button, Rosberg, and Bottas have fared against Lewis. I would really like to see Lewis challenged by one or more of the young lions currently in Formula 1. Popular wisdom is that Max Verstappen is at somewhat of a comparable level to Lewis and a number of folks rate him as a superior driver to Lewis. I am hoping that we get a lot more comparisons to judge from.

I still regret that we didn't get to see more competition between Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna in roughly equal cars.
  12. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    JB is the ONLY driver to get more points while he was in the same team as Hamilton...

GO JB!!
  13. RedRocket

Oddometer:

I was going to bring that up too. I'll guess Lewis ends up signing a 2 year deal
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  14. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can add Rosberg in 2016

Tarmac Kid and RedRocket like this.
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    a. Not over the time they were both in the same team.
    b. He totally lucked into that - and he knew it since he retired immediately since he knew he had NO chance to repeat that season.
    Winston Rose likes this.
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Oh, and c. Still can't help yourself eh...
  17. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Nice to see we're all getting along just as well as ever :lol3

I'm extremely excited for Sainz and Ricciardo this year, probably moreso than for anything else about this season. Danny Ric seems to be enjoying his new McLaren road car :ricky I think he and Lando will be hilarious on the same team.

It'll be fun to see a Japanese driver back on the grid in Yuki Tsunoda. Going from 3rd in F2 to Alpha Tauri is a nice transition for him, and I hope he can give Gasly a run for his money. Two young drivers challenging each other, hopefully without causing crashes, will be fun.

I have a feeling Seb will impress us this year. He never quite got in a groove at Team Red, and maybe change of scenery and machinery will be good for him. I'd like to see Stroll do well this year, too, if for no other reason than to prove to the doubters that he belongs on that team. He does have those blip moments of solid driving, but he needs to be more consistent if he wants to show the critics he's the real deal.

Hopefully not opening a can of worms with this, but unfortunately it seems Haas already some drama around it. Two young drivers, with Shumi's name recognition setting a high bar for him, and Mazepin making headlines for all the wrong reasons. I hope, for the team's sake, they can just get on with the driving, and that the media will keep the drama to a minimum.

I hope Alonso can be up there fighting for 3-4-5-6th places in the Alpine-Renault. F1 is never boring with him on the the track and on the radio, and I'm glad to see him in a competitive car. He and Ocon will be a good pairing; hopefully, he can be a mentor Ocon in a valuable way.
  18. RedRocket

Oddometer:

Every championship won had some luck in it.
    Rosberg said the effect and sacrifice to do it was so large he didn’t want or need to do it twice.
    I don’t blame him, that was pretty rational thinking to me.
    Tarmac Kid, Dirt2007, g®eg and 2 others like this.
  19. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to see Lewis say that he has resigned for a crack at the 8th title for 0.00$ - after all he doesn’t need the dosh and in any event his sponsorship value, which is probably more than he gets from his Merc contract, would very likely increase with the positive views on his decision - he could always ask them to put some of the contract fee into a junior race programme.

Just saying, or dreaming in my old age :lol3
  20. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would like to see Hamilton back for at least 2 seasons so he can go for his 8th WDC and at least one season with Russel in the other car.
    However, I still feel he will retire at the end of 2021 if he wins, leaving an incredible legacy and records that are unlikely to be matched.

However, according to not very credible sources, money and term are not the only sticking points in the contract negotiations.

Can understand Daimler wanting to control who drives their car and not betting fully on the Hamilton/ Bottas pairing for the next 4 years.

Even the then 37 year old Michael Schumacher got squeezed out at the end of 2006
    dave074 likes this.