2021 F1 Thread (Will someone please take the fight to Sir Lewis)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoChuck250, Jan 16, 2021.

1. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    I can't not see Cal Worthington here.

Despite the difficulties the teams endured for Covid, it seems the captive audience (along with Netflix) ended up being a huge boost for F1.
    All the naysaying purists should understand that 'ordinary' fans are the ones that keep the lights on. These guys might be so driven that they would be racing mopeds at night if that's all they had, but the fact is the ONLY reason they get paid millions and are feted like demigods, is that fandom is tribal and choosing someone to root for is much of the thrill. Face it - much of the racing is very dull and only personalities and rivalries carry most viewers over that hump.
  2. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they could do it as well as the boys there would be no W series. In the UK karting scene there are almost as many girls as boys in the younger age groups as every dad is looking for the first female Senna. They simply fall aside as the age increases. Men are quicker despite the disadvantage of being heavier. Yes women can "do" it - but at a (sex blind) competitive level? That's a different matter. I mean, there are female chess championships! Why? Where's the physical advantage?

Can't we just be men and women as equals but enjoy our differences? There's no point pretending any sporting competitive advantage is some sort of patriarchal societal advantage - men have better spacial awareness, hand to eye coordination, reflexes, strength, stamina - doesn't make people better or worse - just different. And guess what? most women are just not interested - look at how aggressively (and often dangerously) young men drive - it's almost built into them to push things to the limit.
    Mosseltje likes this.
  3. MotoChuck250

MotoChuck250 Not older than dirt

Oddometer:
    I would say you are wrong about hand to eye coordination. Women are, on average better at that. It is well known that, again, on average, women drag racers are a tiny bit faster and more consistent on the starting launch than their male counterparts. Their reaction times from seeing the light to launching the car are just a bit better. This is why there are so many women competing in the NHRA. They can also do repetitive tasks just a bit better and again more consistently.

Women have also been employed in the electronics industries for a long time as their hand eye coordination with very fine work is also slightly better.

Men do indeed have much more upper body strength on average than a woman. Endurance is not such a clear cut issue. There are a lot of female marathoners and tri-athletes out there. They are not as fast as some of the men but they are covering every inch that their male competitors do.
    shrineclown likes this.
  4. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    Given the compound range Pirelli have brought (middle) Looks like the circuit is on the extreme end of rear limited, so could be a good weekend again for people who can handle understeer. The teams will have to edge towards maximising rear downforce just to keep the rear tyres from shredding themselves in five laps. I suspect Perez's job will be to help Max, shame really coz given the tyre problems people will have I think he would have been able to get away with a one stop on medium and hard with a competitive pace. I doubt he'll be allowed to run the best pace or strategy for his own strengths though.
  5. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    Then why are men better at shooting? (sporting shooting - small bore - not big heavy guns) darts, skittles, bowls - just about any non strength sport men are better at it. As for electronics - I think it's more down to psychology, women are less likely to get bored and sloppy. Women are more afraid of doing things wrong or displeasing people - where as a man will think "---- it" - bored now. You don't want mavericks on a production line - men tend to be mavericks.
  6. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    According to the pundits like Peter Windsor, Max is most effective at using the throttle to kick the back end out and rotate the car that way in the corner. He likes a slightly loose car. This might mean that Merc and Lewis have just a bit more advantage this weekend at COTA.
  7. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    Various elements of many activities may have historic gender biases built in. Certainly there have been some legendary female snipers in history yet the huge majority of snipers have been male as have the huge majority of battle soldiers. I would imagine that from sport to sport the edge could accrue to one sex or the other.

I would argue that since women are taught to be cooperative and conciliatory, many women, though certainly not all, will not contest a racing situation as vigorously as their male counterparts. The won't stuff the car into a corner or take quite as much risk going wheel to wheel as the men will. Certainly there are a lot of hard headed women in racing who will NOT concede the corner, but women are not socialized to be that competitive.
  8. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    Yes agreed - in the general populous the individual skill will matter more than sex for a lot of things non strength and stamina related. But professional level anything will always be the best vs the best which is where gender gaps will appear.
  9. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    PS Another interesting thing about gender is peer acceptance. I worked in IT for most of my working life - generally men were better programmers (slight edge - not a huge gap) however at one particular company my two best programmers by far were women (one of them was quite simply a genius) could I get either of them to accept a promotion? Nope - they didn't want to be their friends' boss. Practically every man in the same team was banging on my door for promotion - regardless of their (in some cases pitiful) ability. The men cared more about the status and salary over keeping in with their work colleagues.
  10. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m unsure why you think “Men” and “Women” are some monolithic group who are all alike in every way. However, it certainly gives insight into why a complex understanding of things like thousands of years of gender programming having TOLD girls they are “not as good as boys at sports, so go play with those dolls” itself creates and reenforces the perceived imaginary superiority. It will be great when one day we don’t have to use things like W series to offset such horribly shortsighted views; but we have a long ways to go before then.
    ridenm, tomo8r, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  11. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Pretty big crowd for Friday.
    MotoChuck250 and Timps27 like this.
  12. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Let's also remember that F1 drivers are not built like rugby players; indeed, most of them are rather "small" in stature and muscle tone, all things considered. Strength is important for F1 drivers to an extent, but it's not the type of strength that women/girls/females could never acquire. I'd say there's a much better chance of a competitive female breaking into F1 than there would be for most other, more "physical" sports.

Let's not forget, Laia Sanz has been kicking men's asses in Dakar in the bike class for years, now. :thumb
    tomo8r, MotoChuck250 and gulfcoaster like this.
  13. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    That's rubbish - as I said in the UK karting is very mixed at an early age - as they near/enter puberty the testosterone kicks in and the boys just disappear. If you think gender is a social construct - fine - think what you like!
  14. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Men - mavericks - go on with ya...ever notice how "maverick" men are all mavericky exactly the same way? I think women just have better things to do, though skittles - is there anything better...curling?
  15. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s not worth it, anyone who thinks they can paint 50% of the earths population with one broad stroke is not anyone who is listening to reason.
    tomo8r and Moronic like this.
  16. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  17. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ABC affiliate is airing college football instead of COTA F1 qualifying.

I bet the place is run by women.:y0!
    dlearl476 likes this.
  18. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it will be aired on ESPNNews
  19. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    Checo Perez seems to be on a tear this weekend with the fastest laps in FP2 & FP3.

Both Max and Lewis would have set faster laps than Checo in FP3 but were nicked for exceeding track limits.

Should be an interesting Quali session, coming up in about half an hour.
    RTF and gulfcoaster like this.
  20. Mosseltje

Mosseltje Alive

Oddometer:
    Wow, nice quali.
    MotoChuck250, BLucare and gulfcoaster like this.