2021 F1 Thread (Will someone please take the fight to Sir Lewis)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoChuck250, Jan 16, 2021.

1. pdxracer

pdxracer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be Turn 12 crew helping you start that. We pretty much lived out on our "island" for the entire weekend.

I knew doing the pit routine would be cool. We all had to shift positions quickly as we were not sure if Bernd was going to stop for us or not. But in the end, it turned out perfect and our timing seemed to look perfect (tire changers with hands up at same time, myself with broom in front and SC board going up, and green flag at exact same time).

Trying to concentrate didn't hear the crowd noise until afterwards when we were all doing high fives.
    Dirt2007 and Timps27 like this.
  2. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one thing I remember from your “island” was the dust trails the vehicles would kick up out there, I thought at some points it might drift out to the track and aggravate the drivers but it must not.

Any idea who was driving on the hot laps? The yellow Merc seemed to be the best, he was hanging it way out, even around 15-17!
  3. pdxracer

pdxracer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea whatsoever who was driving those cars around

I liked the McLaren
  4. Timps27

Oddometer:
    The McLaren sounded the best for sure, you could hear the induction when they hammered the throttle, gave a great accompanying tone to the exhaust note!
    dlearl476 likes this.
  5. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. MotoChuck250

MotoChuck250 Not older than dirt

Oddometer:
    I think George realizes that his day with Merc will come. He understands what is good for the team and is willing to do what is necessary.

Without even being asked at the Hungarian GP he transmitted to the Williams team: "If you need to compromise my race to help Nicky, please do it. Prioritise Nicky.”

Yeah he likely knew that Toto and company would get wind of the message but it was a signal he sent. Starting at sometime down the line he will expect to be allowed to race heads up with the occupant of the other car and eventually may even expect to be treated as the No. 1 driver, but he has a lot to learn and to prove before he gets there.
    BLucare and ontrip like this.
  7. Timps27

Oddometer:
    George may be a nice lad, and I do agree he is, but when push comes to shove on track I think these two will be HAM/ROS v2.0. Maybe not in ‘22, but if LH stays longer and George feels like “I waited 3 years at Williams, I waited last year again, and now you’re telling me just keep waiting?” He will not sit still for long, either behind a slower car (regardless of orders) or moving to a new car.

ETA: Of course this is assuming that George can actually match LH for pace and consistency over time; which is 100% unproven as of now but I do believe he can.
    JHof44, BLucare, ontrip and 2 others like this.
  8. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO Russel doesn’t own Hammy anything. Fuck him.
    Torque Request, BLucare and ontrip like this.
  9. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    George doesn't owe Lewis anything, but he was given a seat that anyone else on the grid but Lewis and perhaps Max would have given their left arm for. He does know that he needs to keep Toto happy, and if he can see his way to a shot at the #1 seat on the team, I believe he will be willing to hold his ambition somewhat in check for a while.
    shrineclown likes this.
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
  11. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. MotoChuck250

Oddometer:
    Remember that Nico and Lewis were team mates in 2013 & 2014 before the pitched battle and aggressive rivalry of 2015. If a rivalry develops, I don't think it will surface right away. Nico knew that Lewis was not going anywhere any time soon. George can bide his time and work to forge a working relationship with the team that will work to his advantage after Lewis retires.

A lot of folks are expecting bad blood between Lewis and George and I just don't see it any time soon.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  13. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad, however, not too excited with the parking lot track layout but it will be quite the event.

Austin and Montreal will still be s around hopefully.

Timps27 likes this.
  14. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hamilton will get support from the team to get his 8th in 2022 if he does not get it this season.
    George has been blocked by Toto to keep everyone happy for the past 2 seasons .

However, Russell will make a point to show that he is not the # 2 but without having it escalate to Rosberg levels once Hamilton does not take it there.(takes 2 to tango)

Toto is going to be busy next season.
    BLucare likes this.
  15. Torque Request

Torque Request Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lewis will try for his 8th this year and next, after that its all Georges to loose IMHO
  16. Mosseltje

Mosseltje Alive

Oddometer:
    Tickets for the Dutch GP were issued on name and not possible to sell for profit.
  17. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back when I was looking, the Portuguese GP was the cheapest, followed by the Canadian. I wonder how Mexico compares.

When I went to Monza in 2006, my tickets were 3 times what the Portuguese race was, and it was only mid-level. There are a few races that cost as much as airfare/lodging/tickets to Portugal.

eta: I must be high. I think I was thinking of the Spanish GP. There wasn’t a Portuguese GP in the 2000’s.
    BLucare and MotoChuck250 like this.
  18. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't mean you didn't go. Hope you had fun.
  19. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Tickets for F1 Mexico

Gen admssion: Cheapest 75 USD main straight DRS zone you only see the car blurr
    Other stands: 600 to 1500 USD
    and all the way up to VIP zone 5000 USD

For the 3 day activities
  20. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still believe that if Hamilton wins his 8th this season, he will retire despite his contact.

Ultimately, Russell’s pace and the competition from other teams will determine the level of support he has to
    give Hamilton.

If they are in a tight race with Redbull and Ferrari, the team will support the faster man. But in this case Hamilton will not support Russell.

If they are back and to their usual dominance, then Mercedes has the luxury of helping Hamilton win his 8th and make make Russell support Hamilton or hopefully let them race each other for the title.

dlearl476 likes this.