2021 GPX FSE250S (thanks Navin)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Pitching a tent, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Word on the street is the next gen S bikes are 6 speed CB.
    Fallacy and Bitingdog like this.
  2. Pitching a tent

Pitching a tent n00b

Oddometer:
    When the bikes arrive, I plan on stripping them down a bit and making super detailed posts to highlight any issues from the factory, and to gauge overall assembly quality. It should probably be a 1-2 week project due to time, my complete inexeperience with any motorcycle, and getting help from here, TT, and the FB group.

Let me know if any ideas/suggestions.

I doubt I'll make any video posts due to lack of editing experience and time consumption. It will probably just be detailed pics. Ideally I'd take it to a moto mechanic and record them, but that's probably too pricey for my budget.
  3. trippin green

trippin green Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dominion found it in Scranton! So I pick it up here in NC tomorrow. Wife is stoked.... me too
  4. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, my older kid was saying it vibrates pretty bad above 32mph (5th gear, ?rpm), hopefully mine needs to break in some. I think there's probably 8 miles around the vacant lot next door on it. That's about 4 heat cycles and 1.5 hrs total tho :lol3.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gear it up if its going to be used in that speed zone. Mine purrs at 67 MPH. Its very smooth low/mid where it likes to be.
    Fallacy and Bt10 like this.
  6. trippin green

Oddometer:
    Got it assembled, fired right up, idles well. Sounds great. Revs really quick, can't wait to start breaking it in. PXL_20210325_212850290.jpg
    DyrWolf, gunsdad, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  7. Pitching a tent

Pitching a tent n00b

Oddometer:
    Make sure the chain is installed correctly. Possible factory error posted on FB group
  8. trippin green

Oddometer:
    I don't do the Book. What is the issue, master link clip reversed? I'll check the chain over....

Can conform right peg missing return spring tails. Left peg needed a little of the welded nub ground down to return square.
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  10. trippin green

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate for those of us who don't bookface?
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 450 I think, with 600 miles tossed its chain.... lost the master link and it was proposed it was clipped in reverse direction but.... and then the panic started. :lol3

How or why it came off who knows? Its been dirt ridden too and Id expect the sliders to have popped it off very early if it was actually backwards.

So,,, Yes, always check your master link clip. I checked mine today for trail damage, it's polished worn on the edges at 80 hours now, which is fine.
    Fallacy likes this.
  12. trippin green

Oddometer:
    This has it the right way. But the kick stand bolt touches the chain, so its got to be remedied
    Bt10 and Navin like this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    If its not an obvious fix, Dwight Rudder is racing an S so Im sure he would have a solution. My kick stands get deleted first thing for off road.
    Rogue_Ryder and Fallacy like this.
  14. trippin green

Oddometer:
    Remove nut, cut bolt flush with frame, red loc-tite bolt into frame threads.
    Navin likes this.
  15. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frame is only 3mm thick, may not be a long term solution. Don’t know if you seen my solution above. You probably can just drill and tap the eccentric opposite the c’bore, button head from the back. Very minor problem on a good bike. Found a few options for a spark arrestor, but I can machine anything I need. But I’m lazy, so I’ll report the easiest solution soon. (I gotta look on my work computer)
  16. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what bike do I order graphics for? Anyone recognize what plastics these are?
  17. Zachtsu

Zachtsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does this bike handle higher speeds? with the 5speed tranny
  18. trippin green

Oddometer:
    Iys not that fast, quick, but not fast. Haven't topped ours out yet, still early but I think 50 would be comfortable with stock gearing.
  19. trippin green

Oddometer:
    Navin, do you know an aftermarket oil filter part number, or is stock best bet here?
    Navin likes this.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

My E 5 speed has a single screen strainer held by a big spring for an oil filter (left side, approx 23mm nut on the round cover IIRC). If you want a paper one Id check with GPX Jeff in Utah, but Ive no idea if there is one available.
    Stock is fine IMO, I think Hondas have used this forever. I keep gallons of Rotella around and dump it when it looks dirty.

Red arrow is where the filter set up goes on my E.

A96C90F3-B374-49D6-8B9F-D21EC084D51A.png 3B89EC33-6A9F-49B7-9BD7-E89C45E8A48C.jpeg