2021 HOOSIER NATIONAL FOREST RIDE (IN)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by RoadDad, Jul 12, 2021.

1. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time to start thinking about the third weekend in October. October 16 and 17th. Have not decided on anything as of today. Any suggestions will be considered but , remember, i'm a hard headed retired engineer and will do what I darn well please:lol3

You late making camping reservations? Seems that as of 10/03/21 the campsites are sold out. My advice would be to pm one of the dozen inmates that have posted their reserved site number on this post. They may have room on their site for a tent or camper. Scott from Missouri will set a tent on my site.

Decision made--see post #19------------Now for the Tracks

HNF2021 will base camp at West Boggs Park. N38 43.954 W86 54.997 Camping reservations can only be made at www.westboggs.com Cost is either $26 or $34 depending on the site and power level provided (30 or 50 amp). Sites can have a camper and one tent OR two tents and allow up to 6 people. Two vehicles per site. Additional vehicles must pay park entry fee and park in designated parking lots

Tracks are almost finished and will post in early October. Tracks start and end at the campground. The Saturday track is two sections and is about 180 miles long. The Sunday track is in two sections and is about 190 miles long. Both tracks are somewhat longer than last year but have no water crossings to slow you dooooooooooooooown. If the mileage is to great for your day there are points where you can cut out sections to shorten the route--no problem. Just zoom out on the GPS and you will see these points. BEWARE---the tracks cross themselves several times. and you even get to cross Brooks Bridge both days. It would be best to ride with only one track visible at a time. Or you can zoom in very deep to establish the correct path.

Gas is available at eleven locations marked on the map. Most are near the track but NOT on the track. I would guess that the longest distance between gas stations is about 70 miles. If your bike won't do that you don't have an adventure bike. Food, or a facsimile of food, is available at most gas stops. The really worthwhile food is at the end of track 1--Schwartzes Buffet near English--see waypoint and at the end of track 3--Glory Days at Clay City--see waypoint.

Motels are few and some distance from the camp. Small local mom & pop 4 miles south in Loogootee and a national chain, new modern, just south of I69 on US231 and 13 miles north of camp

Since this is a totally unorganized ride there will be no safety vehicles on these tracks unless you provide them yourself. Ride with people you are comfortable with and at a safe pace. Remember, all of these roads are public roadways and you will have oncoming traffic. Also remember, county roads will, at times, make unannounced ninety degree turns just after you crest a hill. And it will without a doubt be an off camber turn on loose gravel. You have been warned!!!

Attached Files:

wfovmx, 2WC, Lost Dutchman and 13 others like this.
  2. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-)

Oddometer:
    Yahoo! I think I will finally be able to make this ride since I won’t be farming anymore.
    blrfjr, mr_10brook and 1TRAK like this.
  3. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just build the tracks, and they will come!!!! :ricky
    (Pee Wee), Justarida, 314ADV and 4 others like this.
  4. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:
    Got it on the calendar! Always a fun time.
    OK so here is a route I always thought would make a good weekend ride. Remember you asked for suggestions :D

Friday night camp at Glendale / Dogwood Lake, Create track from Glendale to Lynnville / Interlake ORV Park. Those that want some real dirt, mud, loose rock hill climbs, single track etc. can spend a couple hours at Interlake it's a hoot! Then create a track from Interlake to Twin Cedar Lakes cabins for Saturday night camping.
    Twin Cedar is kind of an HNF tradition almost at this point, besides that I just really like it there.
    Then on Sunday create a track straight up thru the HNF as far as you want.

Always willing to help with the scouting or verification just let me know.

All I got, looking forward to participating in whatever you choose for your ride.
    Stay safe!
    Dirtbauer, 1TRAK and 314ADV like this.
  5. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Road Pancake

Oddometer:
    Back on a bike, nothing scheduled in October (yet), and I want to get out and ride much, much more...sounds like I'm in for whatever y'all figure out!
  6. 314ADV

314ADV Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my list this year - I’ve really been enjoying riding with everyone in IN / now if I can get a weekend in IN where it doesn’t rain :)
    Knobbyrider and (Pee Wee) like this.
  7. zamboni9

zamboni9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s why we like you Jerry!
  8. zamboni9

zamboni9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Base camp HNF is my vote. Then folks can bring the campers and families. I got a moto club that would host it, if you’d like.
    (Pee Wee), 1TRAK and Old 179 like this.
  9. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stoney would be a excellent venue but not this year. LN-2021 will be 2 weeks later just right down the road.
  10. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a map overlay of the last 14 years of the HNF. It's getting difficult to find new roads. The best I can do is to use the same old roads tied together in a different pattern. In the early years I only planned the southern half of the route and I have all but two of those sections on file. The original route from Spencer to Tell City was set up by Al Pivonka and I have that route. I am missing the northern section of the 2009 and 2011 routes. If anyone has those route files I would appreciate having them sent to me.
    2020 HNF OVERLAY.JPG
    2WC, MCGMB, zamboni9 and 6 others like this.
  11. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    HNF REVIEW RIDE
    Paynetown as base camp.
    HNF/CHARLES DEAM, YELLOWWOOD SF, JACKSON - WASHINGTON SF is a fun ride.
    WILLIAMS, MARTIN SF, SHOALS, FRENCH LICK, CAVE RIVER, FREETOWN is a nice loop.
    Ride Safe Jerry.
    Loose Nut, Dirtbauer and mr_10brook like this.
  12. Gillihan

Gillihan GORILLAHANDS

Oddometer:
    Yes. I can’t leave my drive without your tracks popping up! It’s nice. I just choose a direction
    (Pee Wee) likes this.
  13. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess its decision time---sometime this week. For now--BUMP
    Loose Nut and mr_10brook like this.
  14. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Road Pancake

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had asked me "where's a good place to ride down in the HNF?" and I couldn't help but laugh as I sent him a screenshot of this. Way too much good riding down there. The pressure's high to make a "better" ride, but there's almost no pressure here to pick out a "good" ride!
    mbabc likes this.
  15. Dirtbauer

Dirtbauer KB

Oddometer:
    If possible Hardin Ridge over Paynetown but excellent routes!!!
    1TRAK likes this.
  16. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hardin Ridge is a great campground, one of my favorites - but unfortunately Hardin Ridge no longer takes reservations after 9/15. Everything is listed as FF (First Come, First Served).
    1TRAK and mr_10brook like this.
  17. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looked at the state reservations available for Paynetown that weekend 12 electric and 72 non electric. Brown County says first come first served. Hardy Lake shows 95, Patoka 0, Versailles 31 Not sure how many want to camp but it looks like the campgrounds are fairly busy, Food for thought.
  18. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since there is no more UNHNF , lets keep it that way And camp in Dean same spot And go from there... :photog
  19. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got both my brain cells working this week and have decided on the starting location for HNF2021. I reviewed all the different campground locations posted here and shit canned all of them. Hows that for an executive decision! Now before you throw me to the wolves, hear me out. Glendale (Dogwood Lake) and Hardin Ridge take no reservations--first come /first served. Most state or federal sites are near capacity already. Twin Lakes Cedar Cabins is booked thru November--their best year ever according to Susie. Base camping in the DEAM would work but it is also first come / first served. Everybody and their uncle is camping this year---blame the pandemic. But now the big issue on my mind. Loose Nut 2021 being held at Spring Mill at Mitchell. I love Loose Nut---some of the best riding ever and great camping. But I don't want to crowd Steve and run the HNF on any of the same roads he will be using. He has told me that his route will run primarily in the east and west directions---thats all I know. So my plan is to get as far away from Spring Mill as possible. That leaves me with one campground that still has plenty of room for Adv Inmates---West Boggs Park. Located a few miles north of Loogootee, In on US 231. They will have 30 and 50 amp campsites, running water and bath houses. More specifics listed in Post #1. I've already latched onto site #22 in the Bobcat section and looks to be 36 empty sites available there.
  20. Btown Jason

Btown Jason MotoChimp Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool! I've wanted to check out that campground for a while.