2021 Husqvarna 701 Rally Build - Overheating, need advice

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crawlmeister, Aug 17, 2021.

1. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I've been battling overheating issues on my new Husky 701 and feel like I tried just about everything and my dealer isn't any help either. Perhaps you guys know something I haven't tried yet.

It all started on a recent trip to Ouray where I ran lots of high altitude & technical trails. On the last trail of the first day I started noticing a small oil leak coming from the oil filter cap, I checked and sure enough, the bolt was stripped by the dealer from the last oil change - not much I could do and the drip was very slow with the oil levels normal. During the steep and rocky ascent to 13,000ft, I noticed that the coolant warning light started flashing, so I pulled over to let the bike cool down - but it happened every 5-10 minutes after taking a cooling break. I have a Cumpan installed and the engine oil temperature at the crankcase was reading 250-260F

Once I got back to the campsite I took off the fairings and sure enough the coolant level was low, so I spend several hours on day 2 hunting for a KTM dealer (Thankfully there was one in Montrose) and bought some coolant and oil just in case. I topped off the coolant (the reservoir was almost empty) and went on day 2. For day 2 everything went ok, the trails weren't quite as technical but it was still running hot. For my last day, we decided to run Black Bear and Imogene - the bike was running a little hot on the way up but right before the steps it started to sputter and I could feel something was off, I made it down the steps (since it's no place to stop) and sure enough the oil leak completely escalated - I poured a full quart in but it didn't even register on the oil level - plus the coolant was low again ... I just gently rolled it down into Telluride, grabbed my trailer and headed home.

I took it to the dealer for warranty since they stripped the bolt, they helicoiled the bolt and filled the radiator back up. They said that the radiator was leaking since the hose came loose but not sure if I buy that tbh.

--------

That brings us to now; the bike overheating has been on my mind so I installed a few things trying to combat it:
    - 190F Thermoswitch
    - Fuel Dongle
    - EngineIce coolant

--------

I'm getting ready for a longer overland trip from Ouray to Moab and back (90%+ offroad) so I went for a shake-down ride yesterday locally here on the Colorado front range. The trail wasn't particularly technical or extremely steep - it was 12 miles at around 7,500 - 9,000ft. The temp at the crankcase on the road was reading around 220F but on the trail between 235-255F depending on how I pushed it which seems hot (though I could not find any data on what normal operating temps are), also the red coolant light kept flashing occasionally, but not continuously. I checked for leaks and coolant level but everything is ok. The test trail is much milder and less technical than the typical trails I'm running between 9,000-13,000 ft.

Now the question is, what do I do from here? I already ordered a new Wings exhaust in the hopes that it will help along with a replacement radiator cap in case a pressure leak is occurring.

--------

Rider data for test:
    - Rider weight ~ 260lbs
    - Mosko Moto Reckless 80 fully loaded
    - Altitude for test 7,500 - 9,000ft
    - Trail: Old Flowers Rd, CO
    - Avg moving speed: 17.5mph
    - Moving time: 40.53 mins
    - Outside Temp: 80+F

--------

Bike Modifications:

2021 Husqvarna 701 Mod List:

PROTECTION
    Outback Motortek Crash bars
    Outback Motortek Skid plate
    Acerbis X-Factor Handguards
    Topar Racing Front Brake Disc Guard
    Topar Racing Front Fork Guard
    Rottweiler Performance Shock Linkage Guard
    Vanasche Rear Disc Guard
    Nomad Adv Front ABS Sensor Guard

BODY
    Nomad Adv Rally Kit & Tower
    Nomad Adv AMPD Mount Brace
    Thork Racing Lockable tablet holder & charger
    Vanasche Case Saver
    Clean Speed Billet Brake Pedal
    Clean Speed Brake Pad
    ASV Shorty Brake Lever
    ASV Shorty Clutch Lever
    Rade Garage Auxiliary Fuel Tank
    Hammerhead Gear Selector Pedal
    Vanasche Tail Tidy Kit
    STR Fork Speed Bleed Buttons
    Motominded Rear ABS Guard
    Perunmoto Tail Rack
    Vanasche Minimalist Luggage Rack
    Seat Concepts Comfort XL Seat
    Tekmo Ignition Cover
    Tekmo Clutch Case Cover
    Pivot Pegz MK4 Foot Pegs
    Doubletake Mirrors RAM Mirror Kit
    Husqvarna Fuel Cap Vent Billet Blue
    Vanasche Side Foot Stand Extension
    Vanasche Billet Fuel Filler
    Warp9 Shorty Kickstand

ELECTRONICS
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED Wide Cornering Low Beam
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED Spot High Beam
    Carpe Iter Navigation Tablet
    Rowe Electronics AmpLink
    Berotec Cumpan Board Computer
    Vanasche Side Kick Bypass Dongle
    Sicass Flush Turn Signals
    Sicass LED Flasher Relay
    Misc 12v Euro Outlet
    Misc 12v US Outlet
    Misc USB-A/C Outlet

PERFORMANCE
    Wings Slip-on Exhaust ****ordered not installed****
    KTM 14 T Front Sprocket
    Husqvarna 48 T Rear Sprocket
    Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
    Rade Garage Shorty Air Box
    Continental TKC80 Front Tire
    Dunlop D606 Rear Tire
    Rottweiler Performance Fuel Dongle
    Rottweiler Performance Stainless O2 sensor plug
    Thermo Switch 190F Thermo fan switch
    Husqvarna ABS Dongle

-----

Photos for reference:
    View attachment 3140246
    View attachment 3140245
    View attachment 3140247
  2. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Tekmo case covers are carbon? If so, remove them and see if it helps. The carbon generally has a low coefficient of thermal expansion and would isolate any heat transfer out of the cases. I'm reaching a bit but I don't see any other red flags. Excessive farkeling may have the old girls feelings hurt and she is steamed about it?
    Jan from Finland likes this.
  3. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You just blew my mind with the carbon cover idea, I can totally see it affecting temperatures ... I had to look up "farkeling" and I don't recommend anyone looking at the urban dictionary definition, but rest assured that's not happening haha. Just in case you mean that the bike is too gucci'ed out, every part has a functional purpose (at least in my mind haha) the covers were to help protect from potential case punctures but sadly they only have the carbon fiber poser looking ones for the 701
  4. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the Triple Clamp Moto covers as they are plastic. I was really concerned about the heat issues. They seem to be pretty benign and provide some real piece of mind especially on the clutch side. Good luck.

Attached Files:

5. Racerx43

Racerx43 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our bikes are setup almost the same. I’m in Arizona - high heat and elevations where I ride. I had an overheat condition like you.
    I found that the radiator had a super small hole - that was causing pressure loss. And the radiator cap was prob faulty.
    I put on the temp switch - to flip on manually, a new radiator, new Samco hoses, and Evans Coolant, and new cap.
    Went out did the same trail in 100degree+ for 160 miles.. All good - temp stayed down.
    I might agree with the carbon case prob knowing it’s storing heat.
    I also shortened the rear fender to increase a bit of airflow. (Also installed a metal Husky rad protector.

All good for now. Doing 300 miles this weekend for final test.
  6. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was your minimum speed? I have noticed that the warning light comes on in ten minutes, if the speed is less than 6 MPH and you work with the clutch. I think that the light indicates 257 degrees of F. So it's in the range of your measurement.

I will propably install a second fan. In the mean time I would just check that the radiator is clean. There may not be anything to fix. I just works like that and runs hot.
  7. Jan from Finland

Oddometer:
    That's exaclty the reason I didn't buy any carbon covers.
    GeorgeD likes this.
  8. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    now this is interesting, couple of questions for you.

• how did you find the small hole?
    • Did you replace the radiator with a OEM or aftermarket?
    • What’s the reason of replacing the hoses?
    • Did you replace the cap with OEM?
  9. hardinoki

hardinoki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get the radiator pressure tested asap. I had a pinhole leak at the upper mount after a low speed tip over that led to coolant loss and unfortunate destruction of my top end.
    timeOday likes this.
  10. doom

doom Just the Jack Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the radiator was bled of all air after the dealer added more coolant?
    Do you have the factory workshop manual?
    Definitely pressure test the coolant system.
    Definitely verify that your cap is good.
    Definitely address all of the issues first before changing anything. Otherwise you may end up masking a bigger problem that results in some of the failures that others have already described.

I have over 9K miles on my 701 and an Aurora Super701 setup on my bike and have not seen any issues like you describe. As others have pointed out however, low speed on these bikes tend to heat them up a bit. Especially in the heat. Add in altitude with a lower boiling point and either air or pressure loss in your cooling system and I could easily see the symptoms you’re describing happening.
  11. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because I am facing overheating issues too and I am searching how to treat it, surprisingly enough the LR comes with 2 fans (comparing to the normal model that has only 1). Should we go for a 3rd one :D ?

The one I marked in yellow is the 2nd fan that LR models have:

701 LR cooling system.JPG
  12. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I faced twice overheating too and the first time I thought I would be left stranded in the middle of nowhere because I didn't get any error / indication. At least you get indication.
    I was riding extremely slow, it was very hot and using the clutch a lot, but a lot. To the point I started smelling burnt clutch first and after 3-4 minutes the motorcycle shut down on its own (without any warning).
    Had to wait for at least 10 minutes with the fan working at max speed in order to manage afterwards to start the bike again.

I took a video to show as proof to my dealer - and due to the fact it was the first time I heard the fan working so hard.

Then bike went for the annual service and dealer checked the whole motorcycle and even opened the clutch to examine the disks and clutch basket, which they found in good condition.
    I had lost coolant (but I was not worried because I could still see it in the compensating tank). They filled coolant in both compensating tank and radiator.

Second time was again warm but not super hot like first time. Again very low speed and used the clutch, so I was proactive and stopped - switched off engine. Thought to wait for a few minutes to avoid the same story repeating again.
    Fan was not even working. So I thought is my idea, not so hot the circumstances. Then I tried to power on and unfortunately didn't manage. Had to wait for a few minutes to power on.

According to my dealer is "normal" the overheating when moving slow and especially when using too much the clutch. The heat from the clutch disks is transferred directly into the engine.
    What is not normal to me is that doesn't pop up any indication nor keeps any error msg the ECU. They connected to service laptop and was fault free.

Now I plan to install this switch in order to start manually the fan when I ride slow:
    https://smartmoto-electronics.com/coolair-manual-radiator-fan-switch-rfs-001

And I am waiting to be delivered the SpeedoX display from Aurora in order to monitor the temperature.

I might update and install the clutch from Rekluse (Torqdrive clutch pack): https://rekluse.com/product/torqdrive-clutch-pack/

@crawlmeister I am sure my post is not of any help for you, but to let you know you are not the only one facing overheating issues :-)
  13. Jan from Finland

Oddometer:
    That is my plan. To install the LR kit. I have also been looking the manual swich you just linked. If the second fan is not good enough solution, the next level would be an oil cooler.
  14. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now this is super interesting, I would love to just add the second fan - have you done this conversion or does anyone know if this would work and what's involved?
  15. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting story! The switch looks cool but I'm not sure if it would help to be honest - the fan is triggered by engine temps so it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow, the radiator fan kicks in as soon as its hot, so all it would do is start cooling slightly earlier with manual override (unless I'm missing something)
    roookie1 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  16. Racerx43

Oddometer:
    I dropped in some pink water wetter and the hole sprayed the pink on the various parts while riding and when the water evap’d out I saw the pink residue.
    I replaced with an OEM radiator, couldn’t find anything aftermarket, and needed to get back to riding…
    Hoses were bulging and felt thin, I used Samco on my other rides with success, so while I had it apart, I swapped out the two hoses.
    Yes OEM cap (And I bought a spare) As this will block the overflow tank from dropping in the fluid if malfunctioning.

And minor correction to my note- I shortened the front fender by the radiator not the rear..
  17. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Racerx43

Oddometer:
    Install the temp switch - I flip it on in non ideal situations and haven’t had any issues. When it’s hot out or I’m working the clutch I flip it on, when and pretty much leave it on. I’m also waiting on the ECU tap via the speedX dash so I can do a better job of monitoring it.
  19. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The radiator fan is running for me no problem, but it doesn't cool enough - so adding the switch won't do anything for me as far as I understand it. I also added a new Thermo switch to kick the fan on sooner at 190F which is basically normal road crusising temps. In the end I need more cooling somehow
  20. Racerx43

Oddometer:
    I’ll grab some Infra red pix (and share) as I think they may show some hot spots. I also think on my race bikes this has been a way to understand the heat signature of any bike to see where heat builds, and work to get it to shed…
    Honda Rider likes this.