2021 Husqvarna 701 Rally Build - Overheating, need advice

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crawlmeister, Aug 17, 2021.

1. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just double checked and it turns out that the LR DOES NOT have 2 fans, rather it has a single fan which is about 30% larger. I tried to source the parts for it but it look like it’s impossible to get in the US
  2. DJKuhn

DJKuhn Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to add that folks strongly recommend aftermarket exhaust with bags to prevent overheating... but I think that's overheating in the back end of the bike rather than the motor.
  3. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed!
    I just got in home after removing front fuel tank and installing this extra switch that I mentioned above.
    I was trying to find the 2nd fan but in the end is only one (on the left side as we sit on the motorcycle).

IMG_3600.jpg

Good luck identifying the cause and keep us posted please!
  4. Racerx43

Racerx43 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That little switch does wonders
    GeorgeD likes this.
  5. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, but the LR kit includes the bigger fan. Then I have two fans to install.
  7. crawlmeister

crawlmeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two fans won't fit apparently (According to someone who's done it to their 690). I just ordered the LR big fan kit and will install it - hopefully that'll help
  8. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know they won't fit using the original mounts, but too bad if you can't make them to fit.
  9. gibbo66

gibbo66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it'll be amazing if you can fix the overheating! I am very envious of your build ( Ive got a 2019 690R) but I guess if you add up a highly strung motor ( relatively), emissions mapping, elevation, slow riding, insulated cases ( with the CF) and a fair bit more weight on a bike that was designed to be as light as possible ( and thus with the smallest functional cooling capacity) you're gunna end up with challenges. I cant help but think its a pumpkin thing too- Ive had EXC 200, 2x300, Husky 300, now 4 690's and they’ve all got hot /boiled with minimal provocation . No Beta, Sherco or Gas Gas ( the Spanish ones) ever did.
    Good luck and you have an AWESOME bike!
    I suspect richening up the fueling will help a lot- you mentioned fuel dongle, might need re mapping though. I put one of Kevs fuel dongles on mine ( in line with O2 sensor), didnt make much difference BUT the 2019 is so far ahead of the previous ones, it may not have needed it.
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    These bikes have always been prone to overheating and sometimes clutch problems when run at low speeds with serious clutch use. They may be called "Enduros". But gearing and low end power are not enduro like. I would suggest that lower gearing is needed for anything approaching serious off road. Of course the suggestions as to leaks and radiator caps are very important too. I have not found the change to lower temp fan switches to be beneficial. Make up your own mind on the waterless coolants. Lots of debate out there. I am in the camp that does not use them. They raise the boiling point at the expense of cooling capability. So bike still overheats it just doesn't warn you as soon with steam. FWIW
    Bitingdog and sharpie1 like this.
  11. Racerx43

Racerx43 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The statement about gearing ^^^ is my next move too. The sweet spot I find for cooling is when the motor is spun up a bit more. I need to move the RPM range that I tend to ride the slower sections - that will be a quick fix… Thanks for jogging me on that one. Now which size - LOL
  12. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I moved to a 52 on the rear with a 120 link chain. This allows me to run a 14, 15 or 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket. 16-52 is about the same as dropping one tooth on the OEM front for the Enduro or 14-46.

14-52 is perfect for me on single track but sucks on pavement obviously. I run 15-16 tooth front sprocket depending on how much tarmac I have to do.