2021 Iron Butt Rally

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Achtung, Jun 20, 2021.

1. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    <native Detroiter

Another first.

In 1928, for the first time anywhere, police radio operators broadcast on a dedicated frequency from here, revolutionizing the way officers are dispatched.

Not the first time IBR has visited Belle Isle.
    JeepDawg, Jarlaxle, toypro1 and 3 others like this.
  2. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    Soooo...I was riding over the top of Lake Superior with some budds. In the rain. One rider on a Busa had a fancy commercial seat pack involving a frame on the bike with the pack sliding down on it. I thought that it was pretty nice. The pack could be put on with the load resting on the pillion or on a small rack over the taillight. It had a rain cover with cinch cord rather than the pack itself being rainproof. I came across him pulled off the road into some sort of dirt siding for road construction equipment.

The rain bonnet had cone adrift but the drawstring kept the thing from blowing away. Eventually it worked its way into the chainwheel and bound it up so bad as to cause the bike to slow rapidly to a stop. It was wrapped in there pretty damn good. It took about 20 minutes with a sharp pocket knife to cut enough of it away to turn the wheel enough to cut the rest of it away.

Over the years I have cut a lot of stuff out of the chain wheel. I was surprised that that light pack cover didn't just get chewed up and shredded?
    fran
    Achtung likes this.
  4. Murphyau

Murphyau n00b

Oddometer:
    Not altogether unexpected, but it seems someone has gone to Kitty Hawk, and I think Homer_21 has gone to Key West.
    varnerju and mrb867 like this.
  5. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
  6. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some lunatic is still trying to get to the Florida Keys to collect a bonus when they have to be back in Indiana in less than a day.
    varnerju and Vertical C like this.
  7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    BI would be really tough...but being founded in 1636, there are a lot of "firsts" in this area.
  8. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
  9. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Al Greenwood is riding this years rally on an '85 GL1500. He completed his first IBR the same year as his bike was manufactured, on the same model bike.
    His IBA number is 16 "IBA Numbers are assigned to each rider who completes/documents their minimum ride of 1,000 miles in 24 hours. Those numbers are assigned sequentially and currently are in the 77,000s or so. The first 999 numbers are reserved for people who have finished the Iron Butt Rally. They are also assigned sequentially by finisher. Being rider #16 means that there were only 15 riders who completed an Iron Butt Rally before Al Greenwood did in 1985".

How cool is that?
    toypro1, MCGMB, Jarlaxle and 3 others like this.
  10. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming that guy is now (10:15EDT) near Gainesville, FL and according to Google Maps, that is 13.75 hrs to Carmel, IN. I know the spot page is delayed by a bit, but even if it were an hour behind, he won't make 10PM. Isn't that the official cutoff time? I'll be watching to see when/if they stop realizing it is futile.

Ohh the spectacle! :lurk
  11. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Google Maps is assuming that the rider will be traveling at the posted speed limit. :jack

By my calculations you would need to go about 867 miles in the next 11 hours, so that's an average of 78 mph without stopping.
    With some very efficient fuel stops and no issues with navigation or traffic it's possible. Not easy but possible.

Good luck to them.
    Type301, Dick Tater and JustinP like this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Atlanta, Nashville, Louisville, nuf said......
    varnerju and Achtung like this.
  13. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot the disaster that is Chattanooga.
    toypro1, Achtung and AwDang like this.
  14. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Oof. Atlanta has notoriously evil traffic. Sound like they're F'd.
    varnerju likes this.
  15. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
  16. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    The ONLY saving grace to Atlanta is, bikes are allowed in the HOV lane. That should make for a quick ride thru 285. But adds to the sticky wicket of 75 N in Cobb and Cherokee
    Achtung likes this.
  17. heynowref

heynowref ...

Oddometer:
    If I'm looking at the traffic cameras correctly the HOV lanes are closed on 75 NB - traffic is headed SB on them.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Thats the toll lanes N of 285. The HOV runs inside the perimeter. From the airport up to Akers Mill Rd.
    heynowref likes this.
  19. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reading this it appears the Pan American had issues that required a repair. Interested to see what said repair was for. If it was bike specific or a non-specific repair such as a tire.
    Achtung likes this.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    12hrs ago he was n Marathon, now he’s showing 30mi S of ATL. It’ll be close....but I’ll bet on a 9:57pm arrival.
    Achtung likes this.