2021 Iron Butt Rally

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Achtung, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go Mike Brooke on the Busa, second overall awesome effort
    simmons1, varnerju, mrb867 and 3 others like this.
  2. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some notables from the bottom half. I can't believe the KTM is still going.

Placing First Name Last Name Score Mileage Year Make Model
    37 Bill Norris 18202 3184.0 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
    47 Kurt Worden 17769 2994.1 2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
    70 Michael Boge 11979 2471.9 2019 KTM 300 XCW-TPI
    Chillis, mikeysduck and Vertical C like this.
  3. heynowref

heynowref ...

Oddometer:
    He looks to be the only one in the top 5 who went to FL in the 1st leg. Interesting.
    JustinP likes this.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    3000 more miles, 300 less points :(
    Luckycharms likes this.
  5. heynowref

heynowref ...

Oddometer:
    It appears to be just 300 more miles.
    varnerju and JustinP like this.
  6. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    300... 3000... who's counting?
    AwDang likes this.
  7. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sir Kneebone and crew are counting, that is the whole point. :imaposer

So Paul Meyer went to the Keys 2nd and was the guy we were watching. Last I saw he was near Chattanooga with something like an hour to cutoff. The daily report says <quote Day5> He pulled into the hotel lot around 11:30pm, late but safe. <endQuote> so he made it to Carmel? Must be more of a delay on the Spot page than just a half hour then.

Also must have been Al Greenwood that I was watching in Minnesota with not much time left. Then I thought I saw him get to Chicago just before the deadline, but the Day4Flash#2 says he shacked up in Wisconsin. So... Did his SpotTrack get removed from the map? Do the Rallymasters do that, or the rider pulls their broadcast?
    JustinP likes this.
  8. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Question regarding the IB Rally: At what point do the riders get the checkpoints and the bonus list? I know it's not very long but is it, like 1 hour before the start of the rally or 1 day or 15 minutes? Just curious about how much time they have to plan.

Doing something like this is a dream of mine but I'd want to work up to it. I plan on trying something like the Three Flags Classic first to see if I have a taste for it.

Unfortunately, being a working man (even with liberal vacation policy) with a family makes the prospect of taking 2 weeks off work a daunting one (and I'd need almost two weeks just to do the 4 day Three Flags: Three days to ride to the start, four days of the ride, and then three days to ride back home afterwards, that's 10 days MINIMUM and that assumes no "rest" days.)

Ah, well, three years to retirement for me, so in the meantime I'll live vicariously.
    Versatek6 likes this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    3flags is an easy ride. Try a 48/10
    You’d do better running the smaller rallies around. It’ll give you a feel for routing and honus hunting
    JustinP likes this.
  10. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From reading the daily reports, I'm pretty sure they get the packets the night before setting out. Like 8PM for a 10AM start the next day. So that means 12hrs, but realistically you only have a few hours to plan and then try and rest well before taking off.
  11. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first leg is handed out the night before the start, so routing is done "off the clock". The next checkpoint (or two depending on the rally) bonus lists are handed out the morning after the checkpoint closes. Usually anytime between 4-8am.

So a standard end of leg 1/beginning of leg 2 timeline would look like this:
    5pm scoring for the checkpoint opens (remember riders can get to the checkpoint anytime they want, there is no penalty for arriving early)
    8pm penalty window opens. Any rider arriving after 8:00:00 starts accruing penalty points per minute.
    10pm penalty window closes. Any rider arriving after at 10:00:00 or later is a DNF for the rally
    4-6amish the next morning there is a riders meeting where they go over information, announce the top 10 riders in the previous leg and hand out the bonus list/pack for the next leg. This is normally where they would announce any twists as well. Example would be 2019's twist where you didn't have to return to the second checkpoint if you met certain requirements. Read about that here: https://www.ironbutt.org/IBRhistory/2019/2019IBR_FridayJune21_Day5.pdf

As soon as riders receive the bonus list for leg 2 they can take it back to their rooms and start routing. They are free to leave the hotel anytime after receiving the bonus list.
    JeepDawg, TonyKZ1, Achtung and 2 others like this.
  12. WhereIsBobL

WhereIsBobL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the statement to do some shorter rallies. They really show you about time management, as there is seldom time to make up for errors, as there sometimes is in multi day rallies.
    paprides, varnerju and JustinP like this.
  13. geode

geode just a girl on a bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try a 10 or 12 hour rally that's reasonably local to you. The good part is you usually get to plan your route a day or two ahead of time in the comfort of your own home. The better part it doesn't take that long to ride one, and the ride will likely be all in daylight. The even better part is there's zero time to stop and relax while you refigure your routing. The best part is it drills into your skull the mantra, Plan The Ride, Ride The Plan.
  14. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Also, give Tour of Honor or another grand tour a try. It’s not like being on the clock, but it’s a little taste of planning and it’ll take you places you’ve never been.
    varnerju, Versatek6 and AwDang like this.
  15. chadman

chadman ADV Curious Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMR is really fun and worth a try as well. They really challenge your photo taking skills. Hopefully they’ll be back next year.
  16. geode

geode just a girl on a bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option is to grab a few of the past IBR bonus listings for "your" area and plot a route. I've done that for northern New England and the Maritime Provinces and made myself nice little 3-4 day rides hitting the places.
    TonyKZ1, varnerju, Jarlaxle and 2 others like this.
  17. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Team strange’s gt this year is old Butt Lite bonuses
    geode likes this.
  18. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    varnerju likes this.
  19. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Achtung likes this.
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Until you need help ... then that spectator willing to go the extra mile is your best friend.
    CSI and budsboy like this.