2021 Kawasaki Adventure Twin KLR700

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by strongleftleg, Oct 1, 2020.

1. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will it be a KLR 700? A KLX 700?
    It’s going to be a twin, so here we go!
    Let’s hope for a Tengai version, something like the mock-up below:
    CB28017C-D734-41BD-BEE9-E67F579EAABA.jpeg
  2. strongleftleg

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2, RCmoto and MFP like this.
  3. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something for the gravel road with a windshield at 19 seconds , I think .:thumbup
  4. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I.would.accept!
  5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Although 700 is a bit too big, in my view. If it was a 550, I'd be drooling.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  6. mentolio

Oddometer:
    My Versys 650 was sweet, but kind of always left me wanting just a little more “juice.” I suspect the 700 will also seem a little anemic at times too (talking highway and long road rides, not off road). All that said, I’d have totally kept my Versys if it had been designed to be more off-road capable out of the box (change the low exhaust, not enough suspension travel, etc), -or- made just a little more power. Maybe this bike could be my unicorn?
  7. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Versys 650 and it was a fantastic little road bike, was a great small highway bike very smooth....on the pavement it was fantastic.....on gravel it sucked big hairy donkey balls. Mine got killed by a deer, and after I got healed up I bought an AT. It has its short comings for sure, one thing being too damn big....but out of everything out there it fit my bill.

I live on gravel and wanted something that would deal well with those craptastic roads...the rest of the time I am on two lane lettered county highways or chip'n seal. Not the best in the world....holes and dips are the norm.

I like the looks of the first post, and at this stage in my life if another animal jumps out and attacks me again I will likely just hang up the two wheels.
    DCrider likes this.
  8. mentolio

Oddometer:
    Heh-heh, I also ended up on an AT. Great minds, man...
  9. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never did like them big hairy donkey balls either! Lol!
  10. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It can't come fast enough...please do not be a big ass road bike that pretends to be dirt worthy...
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    This mock up is quite sexy IMO. If they don't add a bunch of weight to it I'd be very interested in that. The current KLR-650 is already too heavy for off road now. Part of the fun is seeing how deep into the woods I can get on the heavy pig but, she's pretty scratched up & missing plastic as a result. I wouldn't want to buy a brand new machine that's even heavier just to slam it around on terrain it's not designed for. This is the main thing holding me back from jumping on a T-7.
    RedEX likes this.
  12. psyfalcon

psyfalcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why 700?

Isn't a 650 on stilts more likely?
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    You'd think that could be one of the options...like a Versys with the newer Z650/Ninja 650 trellis frame and a more aggressive suspension with more travel? I know we're all just speculating, but using the existing parallel twin engine in a modified trellis frame to yield more off pavement worthy travel sounds economically and mechanically within easy reach.

Think about this...I have a 2017 Z650. It weighs only 40 pounds heavier than a Z400. On either platform you'll add a little weight to achieve suspension travel in that 7-8 inch travel range. As long as they don't go too crazy on the bodywork, fairing/windshield, and a bunch of fluff, they can have a 650 that would weigh not that much greater than the 400 but with a noticeable power increase.

The 400 is certainly no dog, but when I was deciding between the Z400 and Z650, the small additional weight gain for the power gain was pretty clear to me. I rode both before deciding. I was strongly committed to the Z400 before riding the 650. Also think about this...the Kawi 650 twin was turned into a 750 for flat track if I'm not mistaken. Now...I know this wasn't some snap of the fingers with a slight overbore and such to achieve this, but I could see Kawi cleverly getting 700cc or so out of this engine to be on equal footing with Yamaha's MT-07...even though it's only down a hair on horsepower to the Yamaha as it stands now. Kawi has been quite successful at increasing displacement on existing models to achieve a gain in performance.

I got my 2017 Z650 this past June as a new-in-stock, unserviced bike...an odd but pleasant surprise. I'm a life long motorcycle guy with past sport bikes, touring bikes, dual sports, and racing dirt bikes...competed in our state's enduro circuit for decades. I'm no Kenny Roberts or Graham Jarvis, but I appreciate performance, suspension, and weigh...or lack thereof. The problem I see with the Z400 converted into a capable adventure bike is its highway capability. When I rode one it seemed it would run 70 mph all day...but...it didn't feel that pleasant at that sustained speed. The 650 on the other hand is much more relaxed at that and higher speed pace. A real adventure bike should be capable of some decent unpaved performance without breathing hard on the highway. For a true, efficient compromise I can see the 650...or an increased 700...being the more logical move for a true all-around adventure bike. Those wanting real dirt bike performance probably shouldn't even be looking at any adventure bike...big or small. And those looking for grinding out the highway miles probably shouldn't be looking at small displacement adventure bikes. Everything's a compromise and people are different. This is just my perspective and what I think might be in the mind of most manufacturers when they try to cover as many bases as possible with one bike.
    RLTrail and DCrider like this.
  14. psyfalcon

psyfalcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess they could do 700, just so it doesn't look smaller on paper, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about the 650 in either Ninja or Versys tune. They haven't had an "off road" adv bike since the KLR, and well that probably needed an update as much as we'd like to always claim it didn't need one.

790r---t700-- vstrom 650 -- versys. Adv bikes are one of the better segments, and the 650 comes on street tires. I like neon green, but some of what they've done the past few years is just baffling. I'm prepared to be baffled.

But I do want a neon green desert runner. But a lot of people want a neon green big tree bike. We'll see if any of us get what we want.
  15. strongleftleg

Oddometer:
    I believe any updated version of a KLR 650 or a replacement in the Kawasaki line-up is going to have the following:

Fuel injection
    ABS
    A bump in displacement, and emissions compliance equipment
    No False Enthusiasm and Hannda like this.
  16. Drtyfun

Drtyfun Here and There

Oddometer:
    This Kawasaki teaser does look interesting.
    Toto likes this.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    from the photo, if accurate, Kawasaki did what many thought they would do all along...put together a new moto using off their shelf or readily available parts using repurposed design elements from their other ER6 platform bikes. strange that it took the Wuhan with an accompanying surge in DS bikes to finally make it happen.

649 or 700, don't know, but it really doesn't matter much. the late model 649 motor already makes decent HP/torque and can be easily tweeked for a few extra. the frame in the photo is the old style frame design first seen in 2006 with the horizontal tube connected to the front motor mounts, a very desirable feature, although it could be fabbed from lighter weight JIS equivalent moly. same header, the upswept nuclear reactor CAT silencer must be a slip on. small OEM gravel guard, i don't like those mounted to the cover bolts, and i sure hope that the rear mount is not using the cast lugs on the sides of the oil pan, hard to tell, that's a disaster in the making.

USD front, linked rear, tubeless spokes, all very nice, but right off the shelf, theirs or others. subframe struts, i guess we know where those came from, good that they're included if you're going to load on 50kg of gear and then pound down those gravel roads. same shifter/footrest mount found on the Versys, that's the one that can shear off in a flop, meaning you're done shifting for the day unless you have extreme bush fix skills...too bad, i've broken 3 of those stupid things, but not all on the trail.

retro plastics/humped tank with more than just a passing resemblance to the old Tengai. there's got to be 5 plus gallons in that big tank which pushes the range past the 200 mile benchmark. aesthetics, not bad at all, nice looking bike. guessing game on the weight, but that Ptwin motor weighs 62kg bare right off the bat.
    CA-Cincinnatus and slipknot like this.
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who views 8" of travel as an absolute minimum for an off pavement bike? Never mind the 21" front wheel requirement. I was disappointed to see that the T7 only had 8" of travel... Still, I get the issue. I have short legs, so my desire for suspension travel is definitely at odds with my ability to reach the ground!
  19. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's generally a seat height issue with a twin or single with lots of travel, but it's great to have quality and quantity of suspension travel...within reason of course. An increase in travel also adds weight. As always, everything's a compromise.
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    A quick look at that image and you know it's just a wishful thinking Photoshop exercise. No Kawasaki in this price range will ever come with anything that looks like real brakes, like those shown in the illustration. If they had shown a cheap, two piston sliding caliper, I might have fallen for it... :lol3

Gustavo
    hugues and Dutch idiot like this.