2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful setting!
    I'm also averaging 80 mpg on mostly rural roads.
  2. PlatyRider22

PlatyRider22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got enough miles on my KLX that I was comfortable hitting some single track on it! I went up to the ATV Hopkington-Everett trail system and had a great time doing some single track and double track. The bike really handles the stuff better then I do, I am way out of shape, but overall 40 miles there and back and 20 or so single track taught me a lot of lessons on this machine. I need a better seat and the D606 stock tire is terrible. I also took a selfie after I dropped my new machine for the first time (not bad, but on rocks and happy I put on those control guards), haha. On my way home to I ran across a guy on a KLX300 almost as new as mine and if your out there dude, we got to link up and ride. Selfie after picking the bike up for the first time.
    [​IMG]
    relayer4u and scootertrog like this.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    D606? I thought D605's were stock, I just bought a D606 to install for my COBDR trip in 2 weeks, lol.

Tell me about that front fender bag, I've been trying to talk myself into one and not sure which one to get. Brand, fit, does it stay put, can it hold a front tube without bouncing the heck out of the fender, lol, ect.... :-)
  4. RED1

RED1 yes it really is me

Oddometer:
    You would not think that Kawasaki could beat Honda in the bold new graphics game, how many models of the same bike did they make from 1984 I think?
  5. PlatyRider22

Oddometer:
    Hey, Dude! Good luck on the COBDR! Let me know how it goes, I love Colorado and its a wonderful seeing rides in that area. I thought the stock was a 606 but I could be wrong, I don't like it in sand or mud, two common NH shits to sling our way. I like it on the road and light duty fire roads, but I would rather have a more toothy tire at this point.

Fender bag is a Tusk, from Amazon, comes with two small spoons but I put in the spoons I prefer in there. It mounts easily to the stock KLX fender and doesn't slip around even on hard rides, the KLX fender doesn't have a slope so it rides well, if you have issues just file your fender a bit and they'll lock in the teeth. It holds one good sized front tube, spoons, and some doodads, but isn't much else you can put in there. It does cause the fender to vibrate a bit, but haven't seen anything to be concerned about on or offroad.

Link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Fender-...eywords=tusk+fender+bag&qid=1624412650&sr=8-2
    Rooster1554 and scootertrog like this.
  6. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my 2021 KLX 300 in frag camo two weeks ago tomorrow. I got it from Nelson's Speed Shop in Greenville MI and they were a pleasure to work with. No freight charge, no 'doc' fees, no setup fees, no BS. I called so many dealers and the level of professionalism is really substandard with most.

Honestly, the CRF300L was my first pick but due to availability issues I 'settled' for the KLX. Just broke 1,000 miles last night and I realize now that I didn't 'settle' at all. I believe that the KLX suits my needs better.

Pros:
    Super fun... obviously!
    Great value. The $/feature ratio is very good.
    Fuel injected.
    Good low end power with a fun power band when revved out. In the dirt it'll happily chug right along at lower RPMs and on the street it winds out nicely when asked.
    Adjustable suspension front and rear. The adjustable suspension has been awesome. It's fun to experiment with the damping settings but ultimately it leads to a better, safer and more comfortable ride.
    Good brakes.
    Nice cluster layout and visibility.

Cons:
    Headlight is sufficient but could be so much better.
    The seat is uncomfortable for me during longer rides.
    When the fuel light comes on the ODO also flashes a warning so I can't see the mileage any more and pushing the tiny button takes it back to the odometer instead of whichever tripmeter I was monitoring.
    Aftermarket support doesn't compare to the Hondas.

What I wish it had:
    LED lighting
    Gear indicator
    Larger fuel tank

Other bikes I was considering (I'm sure I would have been happy with any of these):
    CRF300L (Impossible to find in my AO)
    KLX 230 (Almost bought one, glad the dealer was tacking on all the fees and I changed my mind)
    DRZ400S (Pushing what I wanted to spend and wanted something a little more modern)
    DR650 (Same as DRZ)
    XR650L (Same as DRZ)
    CRF450RL (Too much $ for my intended use, too easy for me to get into trouble with, a scheduled maintenance item is replace the crankshaft!)

2021-07-01 22.22.06 - Copy.jpg
  7. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicely composed review. :clap

You're right about the "DRZ-type" bikes. I rode a DRZ400SM for 35,000 miles, and while it does have more brute power, it's also clunky and clumsy compared to the more refined more agile KLX300SM.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  8. PlatyRider22

Oddometer:

Congratulations man! 1000 in less then two weeks is impressive, your getting your miles in on your rig. I agree that the KLX dashboard could be a bit better, the CRF300l has a fuel gauge and gear indicator is a nice touch, but one or both are not really my speed. The tank... I can't start on that two gallon tank, but I once demo'd a Harley Forty-Eight and I ripped into that thing about its stupid 2 gallon tank, so now I am eating some serious humble pie. I just carry extra gas into the woods just for safe sakes. I am looking at getting an LeD light for mine to reduce some of the load and so I can wire in a usb charger. I also am looking at a seat option as well. Congrats man!
    DJ_MI likes this.
  9. Eric B

Eric B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice review on the 300. (I have a 250, '09) Cyclops makes an H4 LED headlight bulb. It makes things a bit crowded behind cowl, but mine has worked fine for about 10000 miles.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  10. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I definitely won't be able to keep up these kind of miles.

Do you know of any write-ups about wiring accessories on our KLXs?

I'm planning on ordering a Seat Concepts seat for mine. My neighbor has one on his CRF250L and it's very nice.
    PlatyRider22 likes this.
  11. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link! Unfortunately it's out of stock right now but I'm definitely getting better lighting.
    PlatyRider22 likes this.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of what can be done in the Kawasaki forum. Lots of good KLX250/300 information since they are darn near the same from 1994-2020. Look at both the KLX300 and the KLX250S sub-forums.
    PlatyRider22 likes this.
  13. PlatyRider22

Oddometer:
    I will likely go with the Seat Concepts in the future, but for now may order just a seat cushion. I spent so much replacing safety gear, I had to cool down my credit card with water bath.
    I ordered the Bike master just general wire into pigtail one. Seems to work okay, but I don't charge a lot with it, and I more often find myself using battery packs. I will keep you in mind I run across something, or I bet someone else around here has found something.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  14. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I put a 3BR USB port on my handlebar, wired direct to the battery (fused at battery). I also swapped out the headlight for a Superbrite LED unit. Both are first-rate. Other than a couple parts on the engine, your KLX300 should use everything from a 2009 KLX250. I've ordered a crap-ton of parts for my 2018 KLX250S, half of them were only found when looking for a 2009 model.
    DJ_MI and ScotsFire like this.
  15. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2 cents on wiring accessories on my KLX250 (2013).

1. Led turn signals. - wire them up and replaced the flasher relay. Worked fine. Had to 3d print some mounts for the base of the signal stalks since they don't just use a thread and backing nut.

2. For LED aux lights buy an aux lighting harness off ebay with a relay and switch. Tap the tail light wire for the + side of the relay coil and you'll have switched power. The reason is to tap the tail light is you do it on the tail light side of the connector and that means you're only cutting the tail light wiring and not into the full wiring harness. I prefer using a 2 into 1 reducer connector rather than a positap. Then use a separate waterproof bullet connector on the new wire you take of the tail light. If you looked through the KLX 250 thread I probably posted pictures at one point.

3. For a usb charger install a battery tender plug with a split that the has dual usb plugs. Run from the battery down to the frame and zip tie it. Then plug in the usb piece and run it up to the dash. Again I 3d printed a bracket for mine because...
    One warning on cheap usb power plugs is that they will draw (quiescent current) even when not in use if wired right to the battery and can kill the battery (I run a LiPo with low AH). So I disconnect after rides.

Not sure if anything has changed on the 300, but that should give you enough info to get started.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  16. Wkoppa

Wkoppa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't miss the Comparison Shootout between the KLX 300 and CRF 300L is this weeks Cycle News.

https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/1388078-cycle-news-2021-issue-26-june-29/0?

It looks like we will not be finding a KLX 300 as a "trade in" at the Honda dealership for a 300L.

As a reminder - Cycle News is free and will only be delivered to you weekly - if you sign up:)

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    enduro16, DJ_MI, motocopter and 2 others like this.
  17. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great article. I doubt anyone would be disappointed in either bike. I have the 300 and I am really liking it. I don’t have anything negative to say about it nor have I heard / read anything negative about it.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The suspension thing has been true for years. I don't think the KLX ever came with a shock that wasn't adjustable damping. I think the forks have always had rebound damping too. That shock can be valved to probably be on par with the best, short of those with multi stage damping. Then there is the chassis that is based on the 90s-00s steel MX frames. So technically the 250/300 has a racing origin. Not a bad thing.

I have found it funny when someone points at the KLX and says "old tecnology". If you look at them, the engines are still DOHC, 6 speed, now EFI. Look at the chassis/suspension could improve to alloy frame, but pricing would rocket, suspension is better than the price should reflect and totally adjustable. Wheels/brakes are pretty much same stuff, just reflecting pricing with the weight and caliper type. So really other than a steel frame, the bike is the same current technology only reflecting price level changes.

I would like to see more MX style plastics with a real MX type fender on the back, not that conglomeration they've had since 2009. They could do better. Sleeker radiator shrouds wouldn't be hard either.
    Logger06, tooter and AloneInTheHills like this.
  19. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having ridden a DRZ for over a decade... a KLX is hardly "old technology". :imaposer
  20. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info... thanks!