2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent a good amount of time watching YouTube videos about this issue. It seems like the Megabomb would not be a good idea for me. It's better for low end / slow riding. I spend most of my time in the upper rev range. According you YouTubers the OEM header is best for high RPM.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  2. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.
  3. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also found this to be true. Most all of my riding is on rural roads 50 mph and under so the engine runs between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm. The Megabomb is fine for this kind of low rpm daily transportation riding. Longer pipes produce more low rpm torque. The chamber mimics a longer pipe.

I'm fabricating a part to extend the midpipe into the center of the muffler as an experiment to see the effect of an even longer pipe. I did this on my DRZ.

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG
    DJ_MI likes this.
  4. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any progress on your long tube test?

I got my exhaust today. Hopefully installing it tonight!
    tooter likes this.
  5. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post a pic when it's on. :clap

I made a rough extension tube from a piece of scrap just to try out the concept,
    and still need to finish grinding out a clearance hole for the O2 sensor.

IMG_0264.JPG
    DJ_MI likes this.
  6. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my first bike with a foam filter... where do you guys buy air filter oil and grease for them? Do you have to order online?
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any motorcycle shop should have air filter oil. Doesn't have to be a dealer, definitely any off road ATV/motorcycle shop should carry some brand of filter oil, virtually all ATV and dual sport/off road motorcycles run reusable foam filters.
    southwade likes this.
  8. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not picky. Almost anything will work. I use chainsaw oil because it's sticky and cheap, and put my hands in plastic bags when I squish out the filter.
  9. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have some K&N filter oil left over from other stuff. You might be able to find it at Walmart or Autozone.
  10. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Props for taking the initiative on trying new stuff. :)
    tooter likes this.
  11. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the exhaust on last night. Install was straight forward and fit was good. I misread the spec on Delkevic's site regarding the weight. They list the weight of just the muffler, not the entire system. Still lighter than stock but not as light as I initially thought.

With the preinstalled baffle it sounds really nice but it's loud. Louder than I really wanted. I rode around a little while and figured I'd try the spark arrestor insert. That one is much quieter. A touch of the turbulent sound like the stock muffler but overall a nice tone without being overly obnoxious. I didn't even try with no baffle, I'm sure it'd be ridiculously loud.

2021-07-22 01.05.49.jpg
    Rooster1554 and motocopter like this.
  12. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the tri-oval version. It doesn't get much louder without the baffle. To me it just gets 'bassier'.

More of a bra-bra-braaap sound instead of a fuh-fuh-fraaap sound.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  13. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The baffle inserts are a very interesting design. They slide into the outlet and then the end is a slip fit into place deep inside the cannister. The bolt just holds it in place. Exhaust gas doesn't flow through the baffle, just around it. After riding with the regular baffle I let it cool down and pulled it out. FYI, the tip of the baffle is way hotter than the exit end. Yep, those are finger prints on the baffle. Fortunately I was wearing leather gloves!

2021-07-22 01.05.44.jpg
  14. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weights of the components...

2021-07-21 17.01.04.jpg 2021-07-21 17.01.32.jpg 2021-07-21 17.01.46.jpg 2021-07-21 17.03.37.jpg
    tooter likes this.
  15. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We went for a ride last weekend. Up to St Helen Michigan. Slightly less sandy than Gladwin but still tons of whooped out sand. I'm getting better at riding in deep sand but it's still a workout!

I rode the MCCCT trail a little ways. I'm going to do the entire MCCCT ride either later this year or, most likely, next year.

Here's a spot that runs close to SB I-75...
    2021-07-17 09.38.03.jpg

And hit 2,000 miles last night!

2021-07-21 23.10.24.jpg
    motocopter likes this.
  16. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

DJ_MI likes this.
  17. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG
    DJ_MI likes this.
  18. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How comfortable are you with no fuel gauge after riding the bike for 2k miles? And what's the general consensus on range left when the fuel light does come on? Looking at upgrading my KLX230 and it would take some getting used to not having a fuel gauge. I do have a 30oz fuel bottle to take with me on the 230 just in case I somehow out ride my comfort level.
  19. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm fine with no fuel gauge. According to the owner's manual when the light comes on there is ~0.61 Gallons remaining. When I refuel I reset trip A so I can see how far I've gone.

Fuel tank total cap: 2.0 gallons (100%)
    Main cap (Not including 'reserve'): 1.39 gallons (69.5%)
    Reserve cap: 0.61 gallons (30.5%)

(PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK MY MATH BEFORE TRUSTING THESE CALCULATIONS)
    Reserve capacity is ~44% of the main capacity (0.61 / 1.39 = 43.9%). When the light comes on add 44% to trip A and that's about when you'll be out of fuel. If the light comes on @ 100 miles you will be unstrapping that fuel bottle at about 144 miles. :D

KLX300_FuelCard.jpg
    Rooster1554, southwade and Fla_Dawg like this.
  20. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've always been interested in flow design and have tried out all sorts of ideas over the years. This is the intake manifold on our Toyota. It is unique in that it's like a long tube exhaust header and has NO plenum like every other intake manifold has.

IMG_7378_zps808d9c34.jpg