2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We share come common experiences. I own one bike at a time and the last three are Ruckus 50, Grom 125, KLX 300. Scooters and small bikes have affected my riding style, I still ride my KLX like it's a Ruckus. :lol3
  2. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved my Ruckus. I put 8k miles on it the first year I had it. I miss that thing, but the Monkey has a very similar vibe.
    Monkey = silly/chill fun
    KLX SM = hooligan/asshat fun
    Jeathrow Bowdean and tooter like this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Page 100 & 101 of the owner's manual says it's an oil drain for the air filter. Basically to catch excess filter oil instead of draining onto the rear tire.
  5. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments, you make several good points. I hadn't thought about no. 2 in particular. But like southwade said, just tell me what it's for...I'm an adult, I can decide whether it is or not worth to pay above MSRP. If demand is so great that they can do that, more power to them. But I'll likely wait it out for the moment. My KLR is aging, an '07 with 50k miles...but it runs great, has all the maintenance items up to date. What I have in mind to do with the KLX I can do on my KLR for the time being.[/QUOTE]

I called so many places when I was hunting for my bike. The level of professionalism generally was below a used car dealership. I can't fault them for trying to make money but I wanted a deal I felt good about. I found mine @ Nelson's Speed Shop for MSRP + sales tax + title fee ($20 in MI). They didn't even charge me the $410 freight fee listed right on Kawi's site.

My son picked up a CRF250F a few weeks ago. We didn't pay the freight but did pay a $150 'set up' fee. That's probably less than they paid their tech to uncrate and build the bike which seemed fair to us. Some places were asking more than a $2000 premium. Post shortage, we'll definitely remember who was fair and who wasn't...
  6. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    That sounds like very good deal. Seems like minimum around here they want freight and setup, each around $450. I think part of me wants to extract a bit more juice from my KLR. If I didn't have a bike that would let me explore, then I might be inclined to pay a bit more.
  7. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally agree!
    I put 11,000 miles on my Grom and loved every one of them. :-)

IMG_0033.JPG
    southwade likes this.
  8. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    MSRP + freight + title + taxes

That is fair and what people should feel good about paying to someone trying to make a living. Haggling people down to where they’re making almost nothing is bad character, and in my opinion rude and disrespectful.

What if your employer treated you that way? Nickled and dimed you and only money mattered. Fired everyone except the sucker who will take the least. That’s a terrible company or boss. Don’t be that ass.
    TimCC likes this.
  9. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of Capitalism... :-)
    It's ethical equitable voluntary value for value exchanges that CAN'T take place unless BOTH parties AGREE.

I paid $8,000 cash for my KLX300SM because that's the going rate in California. I'm totally happy with it. :-)
    DJ_MI likes this.
  10. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    My dad was a good man and taught me that paying a man less than you knew he was owed is theft. Taking advantage of a desperate man is paying less than he is owed.

My dad also was a successful business owner. You can be a proud capitalist and have morals, too. I’m sure you know that, but some may not.
    tooter likes this.
  11. wheelsdeep

wheelsdeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 22 KLX $6870 OTD.
    I have almost no words here, debating the ethics of haggling down the cost of what a majority of the world would consider to be a luxury item - a dual sport dirtbike??? We're not talking gasoline, food or housing. The market sets the price as does supply/demand as does the dealer.

Personally, I used the Kawasaki inventory search every morning for about a month until I saw 'in stock' at dealers in my vicinity. I then immediately phoned the dealers and asked them their best OTD price. A few we're shocked as they hadn't even seen the 2022 shipment in their system yet and after checking verified it would be 2+ weeks until delivery.
    Of the dealers I phoned- 2 places wanted 8k, a few wanted in the 7's one dealership said 6970 and I asked if they'd knock 100 off and give me a discount on accessories. They said yes and poof I put down a 500 dollar deposit.

As of last week I'm now the proud owner of a KLX300 camo!

Added some bars and grips and she's looking pretty.

20210811_174627.jpg

20210815_203647.jpg
    tooter, motocopter and DJ_MI like this.
  12. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Man, I think greedy dealers are even worse than any customer, just to be clear. I’m vehemently against dealers gouging people right now. It’s going on everywhere and is just downright rotten to do to people.

That said, the dealers holding the line with little or no inventory are heroes in my book. If a good person has the bike I want, I will gladly pay them what they want as long as it’s MSRP + freight + reasonable paperwork fees because their time is money + tax. I think asking them to eat freight and doc fees, especially during this pandemic, is awful. I would be offended as a trustworthy and competent dealer if a customer even asked under the current circumstances.

Another thing I’ll say as a business owner, I paid a lot of money for everyone’s free government handouts and got basically nothing. Don’t approach me with luxury purchase free money and lowball me. That’s ridiculous and shameless.
    markk53 and Fla_Dawg like this.
  13. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Capitalism cannot exist without ethical values.
    Only win/win voluntary transactions are Capitalism.
    Coerced win/lose transactions are NOT Capitalism.
    They are something else.

I work in my own business I created 40 years ago, so I know too. :-)
  14. wheelsdeep

wheelsdeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I respect your opinion and wish more folks had your business ethics. Sadly most do not and the bottom line is king.

Real question is which skid plate to buy?
    georgej likes this.
  15. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy for you. :-)

That's a good OTD deal. State Sales Tax and DMV License on mine came to $893. While it's the cost of living in California, being able to ride all year round makes it worthwile.
    wheelsdeep likes this.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually more than likely it is also part of the pollution package, you should dispose of the crud in the bottle properly... yeah, that's gonna happen... :lol3
  17. FTWeather

FTWeather KISS army 1976

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and FI smog delete gurus,

Smog delete question due to confusion!!?? CA bike

I have done a good number of bike smog deletes, but its been awhile. Ordered the smartmoto pair valve bypass and block off plate (see pic), instructions are general and pics are for an older kawasaki 2 cylinder? but its supposed to be simple. The removal of pair valve, attaching block off plate and replacing the OEM connector with the included connector was pretty easy. Got confusing when I was expecting just the cannister to deal with, but there is also a "separator" I think its called? see pic with number "1."

3 questions

1. Can I just block off the hose in pic 1 that goes up to the top of the motor under the seat? parts diagram says its a "Tube,Throbo-separator"

2. Can I block off both holes to the airbox? the kit provided a cap to block of the inner hole, but said nothing about the hose left on the other one. I might have forgot where it went? eith It is shown in Pic 2.

3. Instructions said to re-use the "gasket" under the pair valve plate with the new block off plate. It didn't look the older kawi pics, and looked more like another inner aluminum square plate?
    I reused it, the parts diagram says there is a valve assembly reed and a gasket reed valve?

Sorry if this is complicated or if there is a better place to post this question? I have looked for youtube videos and there are a few, but not anything detailed. I will also try to contact smart moto.
    thanks for any input : )

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 8.57.34 PM.png
  18. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it makes any difference... but you could delete the metal plate with the reed valve and the second gasket, and just use one gasket and the Smartmoto plate.

IMG_0190.JPG

If I remember, there are two hoses that go to the gas tank. One is a vent for the tank and the other is a drain for the recess around the perimeter of the gas cap and filler which would allow water to drain, and also for fuel to safely drain if it was spilled outside the tank filler.
  19. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Smartmoto plate is the cleanest solution in my opinion. I was able to completely remove all the redundant hoses. It's looks like it could have came from the factory that way.
  20. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    looking at buying a KLX300 or KLX300r in the near future. iif i buy the 300r i plan to DS convert and tag it.
    not 100% sure yet