2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do... however dyno software compensates for different final drive ratios. The make and model of the bike is entered into the computer before testing so as to provide consistent accurate results.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    tooter likes this.
  3. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the clutch switch (A.K.A. 'starter lockout switch') is adjustable?
  4. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago I wrote about my KLX overheating and the fan not coming on. I looked at the fan and ensured it was operable and tested the relays and circuits and all that looked good. I took the bike in because it is under warranty. Well, in messing with the wiring, I must have done something right. The dealership waited for a 100+ degree day and ran my bike and the fan came on and the bike never overheated. They took it into rush hour traffic in that temperature, trying to see if they could get it to overheat, but it worked fine. Oh well, I guess I’m an idiot for wasting their time. Maybe there was an air bubble in the coolant hose. Whatever the case, I’m just glad to have my bike back.
    Robotaz likes this.
  5. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took mine off when I installed new bars. :lol3
    Did the same with the kickstand switch.

IMG_0232.JPG
    DJ_MI and Jerryhaze like this.
  6. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy for you. It's always good to get your bike back.
    The dealer's time wasn't wasted as they are reimbursed by the manufacturer for their warranty labor.
    jwaller likes this.
  7. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could shave the male end, it's just made of plastic. I accidently broke mine off installing my levers and I took it apart and glued it back together. I didn't even know what it was for at the time.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  8. Jerryhaze

Jerryhaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clip-ons on a klx? I'm guessing you have the super moto version. How do you like that setup, and have you done any other mods?
    tooter likes this.
  9. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's what I'm going to do. I didn't know if the pin was plastic coated metal rod or just all plastic.

I'm guessing that the ECU uses the switch for some sort of fueling parameter. I foolishly adjusted the throttle cable free play incorrectly which caused a stalling issue. While troubleshooting that I came to realize that when I'd two finger clutch pull (enough to disengage the clutch but not enough to activate the switch) it was far more likely to stall. I jumped the switch so the bike always thought the clutch was open and rode around to test it out. Immediately the popping from my exhaust was vastly increased on decel and engine braking force was noticeably reduced. I'm guessing that the ECU leans out the engine during coast down if it thinks the clutch is engaged and won't stall with the tire still spinning the engine.
  10. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought about deleting mine. You're saying that's not advisable then?

Also, I guess I need to look up the proper procedure to adjust my cable for when the time comes so I don't have the same issues.
  11. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't say if it's advisable or not. The clutch lever and switch wasn't even the cause of my stalling problem. Just an observation I made while troubleshooting.

The throttle free play adjustment procedure is in the owner's manual. I didn't realize that there is two cables (one accel and one decel). I only adjusted one cable when the problem started.
  12. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. A supermoto... and I REALLY like the clip on bar mod! :-)

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

I need to ride a lowered bike because I have short legs. So when I lower the rear with lowering links, I also lower the front forks by sliding the tubes up in the triple. But the stock bars prevent this so I remove them and install lightweight alloy racing clip on bars directly onto the exposed tops of the fork tubes. The bars normally slope downward for sportbikes so I swap the clamps left and right and insert the bars from the opposite ends of the clamps, so they're flat and level just like regular bars. This makes for a really simple clean compact lightweight installation.

This is actuall the third time I've done this mod. I also did my Grom...

IMG_0035.JPG

...and my DRZ.

IMG_1087.JPG
    DJ_MI likes this.
  13. Jerryhaze

Jerryhaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool! I like how that would make the key so much easier to access on the klx
  14. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the ignition is really easy to operate when nothing is in the way and you don't have to reach over a bunch of crap to get to it.

...and you wouldn't believe how GOOD a lowered bike corners!

IMG_0173.JPG
  15. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work! That looks really nice.
    tooter likes this.
  16. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I trimmed down the clutch switch so the ecu sees that the clutch is open. It helps the flat throttle response I’d get a lot with two finger downshifts.
  17. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Broke 4,000 miles last weekend!

Tires are pretty much shot. I have some D606 tires waiting to go on.
    Front brake pads are getting pretty thin. Have some EBC pads waiting to go on.
    Researching cold weather gear to extend the season as long as possible.

ETA: I've had the bike for 78 days and averaged 51.5 miles/day. :D
    4k_MilesCopy.jpg
    MrMac and Jerryhaze like this.
  18. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    The 606 rear is a very good tire, but I regretted installing it. It raised the rear of the bike about 1/2", which def made a difference with footing when on the rough stuff. I fell over several times due to not being able to get a foot down before the bike tipped past the point of no return, lol.
  19. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could try spinning the lockrings up a little on the rear shock to compensate.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I no longer have the bike. I had it set up with proper SAG front and rear (new springs/both ends). In hindsight.... I ....would have been better off undersprung when riding around on rocky terrain.