2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recovered enough from my battle with the rear tire to attempt the front. With my newfound experience and confidence I managed to get the front done in about 90 minutes. That includes basically doing it twice because after getting the tire completely mounted onto the rim I noticed that it's directional. After about ten seconds of trying to visualize which way it turns, I swore out loud and reached for the valve core remover to simultaneously deflate the tire and my pride. A few days ago I scoured the rear D606 tire for directional arrows and didn't find any. I just figured the front wouldn't be directional either. I've learned a lot of lessons in the past few days...

2021-10-12 23.19.31.jpg
    TimCC, jwaller, MrMac and 2 others like this.
  2. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made it. Day one of my UP trip and my tires haven’t fallen off yet.

Miracles really do happen!

First, I successfully changed both of my tires.

Then I stopped to take a leak in the most perfect spot:
    CBC0732C-FF55-47E1-A2FF-B42375AB8280.jpeg 219ED938-1F60-400B-9F5D-85878C0AEAB1.jpeg

Then out in the absolute middle of nowhere what do I find?
    147C35F9-FAC8-4B0F-A4BA-705BEB6108F6.jpeg
  3. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like an interesting ride! Lol thanks for sharing.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  4. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for ‘listening’! :D
  5. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I didn’t use up all of my good luck yesterday. Oof!

2E0619D3-39E4-4035-9089-4FC47E60872B.jpeg
    jwaller likes this.
  6. Yella DR

Yella DR It'll be fine they said Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why isn't it in the bed?? I scratch my noggin when I see a hitch mount on a pick up.
    Imagine if it fell off at 50-70 mph and slid across into on coming traffic
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I slammed my Ranger with a 3/4 drop just so I could load bikes easily alone. Now I have a utility trailer with a ramp rear gate, easier for the street bike.
    DJ_MI and dazz like this.
  8. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    Different strokes. Short old men like me have a hard time getting it up into our bad ass trucks. Mark53 has a good solution cause he has a place to park the trailer. I use my utility trailer for gravel and other junk. I use my little enclosed trailer for my dirt bikes, riding clothes, and to sleep in. My open aluminum trailer is for the Can Am. Bad ass pick up has a top to haul stuff out of the weather. It all comes down to choices, like everything else.

DJ has a fine idea. It will work out just fine.
    DJ_MI likes this.
  9. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DJ_MI likes this.
  10. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to meet a buddy at the local off road playground a few years back and his bike came off while going down the road and was dragged probably 75 yards before he pulled over. It was not pretty.
    I hope you made out a little better than him.

SRR
  11. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KLX300 Service Manual Update

I’d been trying to get a service manual for a while, my local dealer finally located one and I ordered it. I guess it’s coming from Japan, they said the estimated arrival date is Nov 30. Better than nothing, first time I’ve been told they could get one.

Just thought I’d share.
    DJ_MI and Rooster1554 like this.
  12. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I've seen conflicting data regarding the horsepower difference between the 250 and 300. What is the power increase ?
  13. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt by assuming that it was equipment failure but I own this one, it was 100% operator error. I had three of the five straps off and 'popped' the fourth strap instead of unwinding it slowly. The forks sprung up and down it went. Lots of lessons learned...
  14. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks dazz. Ultimately it did work out fine for me.

While I'd love to have a trailer (or two!) it's just not in the cards right now. Even if I had a trailer it wouldn't have been my top pick for this particular trip. I did too much backcounty exploring and manuevering a trailer would have been too difficult. At one point it was super late and I was trying to find a place to camp at Garnet Lake and I made a wrong turn putting me on a tight, rutted and muddy two track. I don't know what I would have done with a trailer in tow. A trailer would be perfect for our usual up north riding; there and back to known locations.

I deliberated on whether to put the bike in the bed or on the carrier for this trip and I chose the carrier for a variety of reasons. I had a lot of gear in the bed that I was glad to have and probably wouldn't have taken if I had to leave the tailgate down. Also, the realitive ease of loading/unloading especially when fatigued or possibly even injured (happened in Leota a few months ago, not serious but glad someone was around to help me load it back up into the bed). I don't know how many times I loaded/unloaded the bike on this trip but I have no doubt I would have skipped a few times if it was in the bed. The picture of the dropped bike is in Sandtown; over 5 hours to cover 32 miles, I forgot to take water and I saw no one the whole time. No way could I shoved 300lbs up a skinny ramp into the bed. The only realistic option at that point would have been to setup camp, bust down the 'No Camping' sign and use it as firewood.
  15. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

Definitely not the same as a physical hardcopy but check this link out:
    https://www.kawasaki-onlinetechinfo...L&manual_kind=OM&model_year=2021&lang_code=EN
  16. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    DJ_MI likes this.
  18. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No prob. What are the numbers that you are finding?

I'm starting to doubt those numbers that I previously posted. That'd be a 20% increase in displacement yet a 37.5% increase in HP and a 40% increase in torque. That doesn't seem to add up.
  19. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I was seeing only a couple hp. But according to your information they come with the R engine. I think they were more zesty. I guess it does not matter much since they are not available! At least in my neck of the woods.

After further research I've found nothing concrete on hp. But a couple hp when compared to the 250 may be pretty noticeable.
  20. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of different part numbers between the 300 and the 300R. Here's a few of the main ones I've found:
    CAMSHAFT - VALVE, INTAKE
    CAMSHAFT - VALVE, EXHAUST
    CRANKSHAFT - COMP
    HEAD - ASSY - CYLINDER
    CYLINDER - ENGINE
    PISTON - ENGINE
    RING - SET - PISTON
    CONTROL UNIT - ELECTRONIC
    BODY - COMP - MUFFLER
    THROTTLE-ASSY
    NOZZLE-INJECTION