2021 KLX300

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by norton73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised nobody that has owned both has spoken up. Sure wish I could ride one!
  2. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far are you from SE Michigan? I’m in Rochester. You’re welcome to ride mine.
  3. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    Ha! Well thank you. Very kind. I'm on the Northeast side of Ohio. So at least three hours each way. Have you ridden a 250? There is not a thing wrong with it, it's just that I wonder how the increase in displacement would effect the feel.

Engines with a longer stroke behave differently than engines with a shorter stroke. The added displacement has changed the configuration of this engine slightly. I wonder how much.

Thanks for the offer!
    DJ_MI likes this.
  4. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not much and it’s the bore that’s different, not the stroke. They are otherwise the same internally. When I had my 250 I raced my buddy and his 300 a number of times on pavement and gravel. There was a 50 pound difference between us, I was lighter, and he couldn’t pull away from me. It was dead even every time.
  5. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    How about low rpm grunt? Slow speed torque? Can you feel a difference?
  6. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can help here.
    I've owned and ridden a lot of off-road bikes over the years.
    When I was younger I competed in enduro's in Michigan and surrounding states on two stroke bikes from 125 to 490 displacement.
    When I moved to NC in 2000 I had an XR350R that had a MI title but it had no battery, no brake light etc so I was nervous ridding it on the road to get to trails.
    So sold it and bought a 2007 KLX250S with 300 miles on it.
    I was not inspired by the lack of power on the KLX so I did some jetting, changed to a 13 tooth CS sprocket.
    This helped but it was still a little anemic.
    So I bought all the KLX300 OEM parts and put on my 250.
    This really changed the bike. It had more power and torque.
    Next I changed the carb to Mikuni TM 36-68 pumper. After changing the jetting to suit the KLX I had a great package.
    It's still a heavy bike. 330 actual lbs (full of gas), but was now a fun bike to ride.
    I made other changes also, suspension etc. that you can see in a web site I made.

http://dpippin.com/klx/home.htm

So here's my analysis
    The KLX250S although a fun bike is grossly under-powered. If I didn't make the changes I'd have sold the bike.
    If you want to make the KLX250S more fun, fix the suspension, increase the displacement and you'll have a great bike. It's not a KTM but will have low end torque and is east to ride.
    hope this helps.
  7. sthoerner

sthoerner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    koh kood, dazz and DJ_MI like this.
  8. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info and very informative website!
  9. Storz

Storz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The answer is the a Bill Blue 351 kit - love the torque on my 06!
  10. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a OBD style scan tool that works for our bikes? I’m looking for something that shows live data. Thanks.
  11. Snowlover

Snowlover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ready to put on my new tusk dsports.

I modified a cantilever single snowmobile ramp for bike loading. Needs a few tweaks this winter, but real easy to load. Bike straps into load and lock chock, lift rear of ramp and roll int IMG_0157.jpg
    o truck. I add straps from truck bed to bike after it rolls in. IMG_0019.jpg
    sherloc, jwaller and DJ_MI like this.
  12. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a great looking solution! It’s looks like some fantastic riding there, that background looks like a movie set.

Are you changing the tires yourself? If so I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Lol.
  13. Snowlover

Oddometer:
    Beautiful places to ride. Front tire done. Do not forget to take one of the nuts off the valve stem before cramming an extra heavy duty tube in there and already have the valve stem in the hole. :(. Had to remove tube again to get the nut off and fight the tube valve stem again.

Back tire is off, but did not want to get tired and frustrated, so it waits until tomorrow

FWIW, both stock tires beads broke easy. Front with just a knee. Tire went on fairly easy, but those big fat extra heavy duty tubes leave no room. I think it could be ridden completely flat and still work .

Back goes on tomorrow IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    jwaller, DJ_MI and dazz like this.
  14. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size tires did you choose?
  15. TheToxicWaltz

TheToxicWaltz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been impressed with how this straight dual sport KLX300 can keep up with the enduro bikes that I ride with. Stock except for some ergo and protection stuff.

This is not the toughest hill climb we saw last weekend, but it's a good example as to how the little KLX just eats up whatever is thrown at it with ease. Also happens to be where I coined my latest phrase, "Tractor Power". :lol3

jwdub and DJ_MI like this.
  16. Snowlover

Oddometer:
    I’ll report back AFTER the rear is mounted and has no issues. Matching the rear size was not super clear.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap With your co-riders up and down the hill looks like they didn't have much faith in the KLX making the run. :ricky
    TheToxicWaltz and DJ_MI like this.
  18. DJ_MI

DJ_MI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went through the same thing recently. I wound up selecting D606s in 90/90-21 front and 120/90-18 rear with IRC HD tubes (Part# T20076 & T20057).
  19. TheToxicWaltz

TheToxicWaltz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL. That's only because it took most of the them multiple attempts to do what the KLX can do on the first run :)

I ride with these folks all the time. When I first got the bike for sure that's how they looked at it, now toward the end of the season not so much haha! That said, when I show up at a single track or tougher event most folks eyeball my bike like it doesn't belong. I love scooting around them all dumped over hillside :rofl

A green sheep surrounded by wolves?
    IMG_1035.JPG
    MotoChris521, TimCC and jwaller like this.
  20. Oshawa boy

Oshawa boy not a kid anymore

Oddometer:
    I get the same looks. Lots of guys don't want to ride with me because I'm not on the enduro bikes. I'm not particularly fast but I can keep up and sometimes I beep my horn so I can pass. After some more challenging rides guys are rethinking the klx.
    TheToxicWaltz likes this.