2021 KTM 500 EXC-F setup for dual sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mbillens1, Sep 13, 2020.

1. mbillens1

mbillens1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upgrading from a dual-sport 2008 KTM 530 for the second half of my BDR loop starting this week (https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-bdr-loop-ca-az-ut-id-wa-or-ca.1432978/)

Stealing some ideas from Taco Moto, rtwPaul, and the rolling hobo (links at end of this post).

I've ordered a bunch of bits and pieces and I'll pick up the bike this week in Salt Lake City and start wrenching. I'm going to leave the performance bits stock (emissions, ecu, reeds, muffler) as I'll register this bike in California in a couple months and I don't want to get dinged for any mods when I go to the DMV.

The big bits I'm going to add for this trip:

Reflex Racing recurve to bar clamp hand guards
    Enduro Engineering xtreme skid plate
    Acerbis 3.9G tank
    Seat Concepts Comfort XL seat
    Double Take Scrambler mirrors with 6" arm
    Giant Loop Mojavi saddle bags from the old bike
    Giant Loop Diablo Tank bag
    Mosko Moto Backcountry 30 tail bag (upgrading from a backpack)
    Tusk Radiator cap with temp gauge
    PC Racing stainless oil filter
    STR Fork Bleeders
    Racetech rear spring (stiffer for the extra weight)
    Dunlop D606 tires

What am I forgetting? ;)

Planning to do some camping as well, so I have a small tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag in tow.

I'll post a few pics before/after once I get the bike together as well as some more pics from the trip itself when I'm on my way here: https://mattbillenstein.smugmug.com/

Misc links:

Taco Moto:

rtwPaul:
    https://rtwpaul.com/2019/12/12/adventurizing-a-ktm-500exc-for-rtw-riding/
    https://rtwpaul.com/2020/05/10/adventurizing-a-ktm-500exc-for-rtw-riding-part-2/

Rolling Hobo:
    https://therollinghobo.com/500exc
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Do they inspect your bike for factory emissions when you go to the DMV in California now?
  3. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I kinda doubt it, but also if you're happy with the power, I hear the new bikes run fine stock. So, I'll leave it this way for awhile and see how it is.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new '21 a few weeks ago and it does run very well stock. Starts easily, runs smoothly, doesn't fart or flame out, and has plenty of juice for an old guy like me. That's my experience from just the first couple hours on it, but so far I'm super happy with the bike.
    Xchemie and mbillens1 like this.
  5. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock tires not even worth a try for a BDR?
    I don't have a 2021 so take with a grain of salt.

Headlight - personally I am fairly satisfied with a drop-in Katana H4 bulb ($50 for two - used the other in another bike).

Radiator guards

Turn signals. I am sure the stock ones would not last 1 ride for me. Tusk 1487350001 are fine, but LED so you need a new blinker regulator.

Heated grips wired up through a relay

12v pigtail for inflator

USB charging for phone etc

Personal choice but I like Tubliss for dual-sporting because not-so-knobby tires do MUCH better aired down offroad
    enduro16, Bitingdog and JP4 like this.
  6. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Good suggestions ;)

Stock tires are the TKC 80 which would probably do, but I think I may get into some sand and I'd like something a bit more aggressive for that. I run regular tubes and keep them at about 20psi to avoid pinch-flats. Haven't had a lot of trouble with that setup on these BDR rides although I did have one pinch flat in Idaho going pretty hard on some rocky stuff.

I almost never ride after dark - but that being said, should I have a break down and need to ride after dark, maybe a better bulb would help.

I think maybe there are radiator guards on the '20/21 bikes? I'll add them if not.

Pigtail I have, but forgot to list ;)

I typically charge my phone off an anker battery in the tank bag - and charge that at the hotel, but if I camp a couple nights in a row I may blow through that. Maybe I can pick up something to charge off the 12v pigtail in a pinch.

I've never had LED turn signals work properly, so I'm reluctant to change anything. I'll probably leave it all stock until I get to California, but maybe a Taco Moto tail tidy after I get the bike registered.
  7. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    530 to 500 get ready for dog years in moto development!

I made a proper 500 DS bike, still have it and love it. We van travel and have been all over the US on it searching for stoke.
    From the pipeline of Alaska to this summers month in Idaho it's seen 640 hours of dirt. 500's are rock solid and hyper modular. You can set it up to meet your specific wants/needs. And that's part of the fun!

[​IMG]

Since ya asked :evil
    And appear to be going all in from the start which I really like.

Get a Baja Designs day making headlight. It'll make the stock illumination look like a lantern.
    KTM kickstands are sketch, get a pro moto billet kickstand
    PMB also makes a slim kick ass rear rack. Both products are the gold standard in the industry.
    If ya have a 3.9 tank might as well carry tubes and spoons cause you're planning on getting out there.
    Get some Dirt-bike-gear little bags for tubes and tools.
    Small garage company with amazing quality construction and customer service. http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/fbfb.html

And that 6 in stalk comes in at .8 pounds, go shorter.:wink:
    Enjoy the process and share some pix when ya get goin:beer
    Kaaden, Huckwheat and Bitingdog like this.
  8. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!

Yeah, I carry all the tire tools and a front tube in the giant loop bags.

Headlight, kickstand, rear rack - all nice stuff, but $$$$. I've been trying to keep the build to stuff I think I need vs stuff I think I want -- these items haven't made the cut yet.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    He has posted some pics of the parts he has completed on his 530 here:

https://mattbillenstein.smugmug.com/

Bitingdog and mbillens1 like this.
  10. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been a great trip so far - looking to get back out there to complete it.

I also sold the 530 to a nice fellow in Texas who's in the process of a complete teardown and rebuild - he's filmed some restoration work of BMW's so I hope he makes a few videos on putting that bike back together and going on some adventures.
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's one, make sure to balance the wheels.
    Buildzall, Orangebiker, Fast1 and 3 others like this.
  12. NeoMonkey

NeoMonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice build project, did you pick up the bike yet ? What do you thing about the gearbox ? They reinforced the shift locker (shift drum) since the 2020, makes me paranoid.
  13. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Just got it - only put 20 miles on it, it does shift a little clunky, but it isn't broken in yet.

I installed most of the aftermarket bits yesterday - hitting the north end of the utah bdr tomorrow!

Attached Files:

Huckwheat and Dao1 like this.
  14. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it but changing the rear license plate holder to a XCW w/light is a good mod and you can use your stock blinkers by drilling a couple holes, it a little more sano than the EXC stock setup.
    ChasM likes this.
  15. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i may take a look at a tail tidy soon - i guess taco moto is making one soon.

But honestly the stock one isn’t as heinous as I had suspected - may just leave it unless the muffler smokes the right blinker as I’ve seen.
  16. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Have you seen any further details or pictures of what was changed?
  17. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I believe the XCW tail is hiding under the EXC-F appendage. They are just sandwiched together with a few bolts. Check this out: https://advrider.com/f/index.php?posts/40749962
    You lose the bright LED brake light and need to drill for the turn signals.
  18. NeoMonkey

NeoMonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Sadly i didn't. i'm looking for real informations. I guess if KTM chose to "make it more reliable" in 2021 we might suppose there is issues with 2020 models.
  19. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool, the bike I did the mod on was a 16' model, somebody was thinking when they designed that.
    JP4 likes this.
  20. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    The bike is working pretty great! Just did the first day on the Utah BDR.

Only problems so far are the Tusk radiator cap leaked right away at only warm temps - went back to stock.

And the stainless oil filter didn’t fit, it’s just like half a millimeter too long. PC Racing PC167 bought from Taco Moto - emailed mike there about it.

Attached Files:

svtride likes this.