2021 KTM 500 EXC-F setup for dual sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mbillens1, Sep 13, 2020.

1. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! I've had my '21 500 for about three weeks and I'm doing a similar build for light adventuring. Just got done putting on a Scotts damper/BRP sub mount and heated grips today. Seat Concepts Comfort XL and Fastway Evo 4 pegs in the mail. Also adding the Motominded Epic light kit and dash.
    How are you finding the gearing? The stock 14/48 seems plenty tall after the few short spins I've been on. 6th gear is way up there. Contemplating putting a 50 on the back.
    JP IMG_20200919_181936261.jpg IMG_20200920_204237935.jpg
    JohnIrvine123 likes this.
  2. mbillens1

mbillens1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I like the gearing so far, it’s fine for BDR type stuff - we’ll see how i feel about it after some more technical stuff.
    JP4 likes this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    How are you finding the vibration on the longer days? My only complaint with my bike is the vibration at certain RPM's. Not as bad as my old 640 LC4, but I do get tingly hands after a bit. Looking forward to getting my Seat Concepts (back ordered). Sometimes it's hard to read signs sitting on the hard stock seat with my eyeballs shaking
  4. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it’s a bit vibey - better than my 530 on the hands, but I think a bit worse on the pegs. You cN usually find a gear where the rpms make it it so bad.

Stock seat is horrible! I had the standard seat concepts seat on the old bike and the comfort xl on the new one - the width really helps - very little ass fatigue so far.
    JP4 likes this.
  5. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I noticed there are some pretty smooth areas in the rpm range. Won't be a problem in the dirt anyway.
    Still no caparison in vibes to my old 640. It would walk across the garage onto the driveway if left idling unattended on the sidestand
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did race tech suspension and GET Ecu, dropped in a old Moto minded XL sport LED, put on KX High Bend bars, bibs in tires, for radiator protection I use the upgraded plastic KTM version, they are lighter than the metal ones and are all that is needed. Hand guards are just the plastic Ad ons to the flags from KTM, also all that is needed, kemp’s weight down. EE extended brake pedal, Air filter gasket so no mire grease on filter, reeds removed, waiting on the Pro Moto end cap from Taco, btw the GET and most parts are from Taco Mike, will be doing Tour of Idaho next August in the mean time the bike will be doing woods and desert racing duty here in Texas.
    JP4 and Bitingdog like this.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    A few photos of the new tail light assembly and a question. The EXC has the smaller XCF tail assembly hiding under the EXC tail. A few screws and it all comes apart. Disconnect the harnesses up by the air filter, take off the extra brake light, mount some turn signals and you're done. Question: there's an unused male connector hanging off the turn signal harness with white/brown wires. I know brown is ground and I'm assuming white is a keyed 12v power supply for something. Anyone know why that's there? Can't find anything on the search or parts fiche. IMG_20201008_141739131.jpg IMG_20201008_141817713~2.jpg
  8. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Ok, just verified with the voltmeter that the extra plug is just 12v keyed power. Here's what it looks like reassembled. Still deciding on turn signal mounting. There's not a lot of real estate. I think I might use small stainless angle brackets bolted to the two rear tail assembly bolts. There isn't much room to drill through the existing plastic and the wiring harnesses runs up the left side channel, which is right where I'd like to drill. A couple small brackets will be way easier. IMG_20201008_150647495.jpg IMG_20201008_151007796.jpg
  9. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Where the turn signals would hang on a small bracket. Looks like it will be high enough not to melt. Maybe. IMG_20201008_152307942.jpg
    mbillens1 and pratered like this.
  10. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    License plate light?
    powderzone, JP4 and Bitingdog like this.
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    In stock form the EXC license plate light is built into the bottom of the big clear aux brake light and is part of the three wire harness for that light. Maybe they use the same harness for several bikes and it's a license plate light wire for a different model?
  12. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    I need to do something like this - I think Taco Moto is releasing a kit soon, might look at that.

I also need to rig some sort of tail rack to better hold my tail bag. Had the idea to maybe put some sort of metal frame under the plastics to give some extra support back there, but haven't looked at it at all yet. I busted up some of the plastic stuff back there trying to pull the bike out of a jam, so maybe I'll get some ideas after I get all the broken bits off.
  13. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Got most of my wiring done today. I bent a turn signal mounting bracket out of 1/8" aluminum flat bar. Had to notch it to clear the ribs in the under fender. I ended up rounding off the corners and giving it a quick spray with black bed liner. The $18 turn signal/running lights/brake lights look great. Be careful if you mount them not over tighten them. They don't have a stop nut and I couldn't find one in time so I didn't use one. That would make it mount very solid like the Cyclops ones. I did squirt some silicone sealant up the stalks to give then a little weather seal. Will they last? At $18 for 4 of them I don't really care. They're disposable on a dirt bike anyway. I put the led flasher relay in but haven't installed the diode yet for the indicator bulb on the dash, so I'm getting 4-way flasher action. You can get the diode pre-made from Super Bright LED's shipped for about $5. Or Sicass has a plug and play solution for about $25.
    For the brake light signal and the keyed 12v power to active my heated grip relay, I harvested the 3 wire harness that went to the factory aux brake light/plate light (the clear one). It has a brake light wire and a 12v keyed wire, as well as ground. Brake wire went to the rear turn signals red wires, the keyed power activates the grip relay, which I zip tied to the other relays under the seat. Power for the grips goes straight from the battery through the relay.
    Up front I'm running the Motominded Epic light kit and their dash. I tapped power of the included USB accessory plug in the dash for my GPS and for the running lights in the front turn signals.
    I test fired the heated grips and they seem to work really well. They're the Symtec Heat Demon's under Progrip 714 grips. Grip switch is mounted on the Motominded Dash. The mask isn't completely installed in the picture as I was just testing the lights
    More photos to come when I get it all together, hopefully tomorrow. IMG_20201014_173803083.jpg IMG_20201014_184200730.jpg IMG_20201014_184308638.jpg IMG_20201009_164636966.jpg IMG_20201015_151239338.jpg
    husqvarna, Eldon, jm19328 and 3 others like this.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Definitely needs a diode.

15. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or change the flasher relay. A simpler solution me thinks than a diode. But thats me.
  16. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I did change to an LED flasher relay. That slowed the flash rate down. Still required the diode in this case to stop them from all flashing at once.
    From what I understand, the flasher controls the rate and the diode provides resistance to the indicator bulb so they don't flash simultaneously. Or you can just pull the indicator bulb I think.
  17. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
  18. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh. My understanding (have been wrong before) was that the resistance dictated the rate which is why when installing LED indicators (with less resistance) they flash faster. A LED flasher has pre set flasher rate regardless of LED/OEM bulb.

Someone here smarter than me will set the record straight.
    JP4 likes this.
  19. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I think what you're saying is correct. The other option to slow the flash rate is to install resistors inline to the turn signals, but that sounds like a ton of work. I'm no electrical genius, but somehow the diode inline to the little turn signal indicator bulb stops them from all flashing at the same time. I tried to avoid using the diode, thinking I might get lucky with just the LED relay, but they all flashed simultaneously. Maybe someone who understands this can explain. I just followed Keith Jobson's excellent video and it all worked perfectly. Thanks Keith if you read this! I saved a bunch of time buying the diode pre-wired from Super Bright LED. The Sicass diode is actually plug and play and requires no cutting/crimping/soldering. A bunch more money though. http://sicassracing.com/store/produ.../led_turn_signal_indicator?cPath=105_46_2222&
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    A few more photos of the almost finished build. I still have the True North rack and 690 screen to install.
    For anyone suffering from handlebar buzz issues, I can report that the 1lb diving belt weights on the ends of the hand guards are a huge improvement. Much more so than the BRP bar mounts. There is a very light vibration now, but zero buzz. It looks a little silly and added two pounds to the bike, but it was cheap and it works.
    The cheap LED signals have been working as advertised. We'll see if they hold up.
    I'm also super happy with the Motominded Epic light kit. It's easy to adjust the two lights independently so that the low beam is not offensive. On high it's plenty of light for anything I'm going to ride. I also installed their dash kit and Super mount and it's all very well engineered. Great customer service when I had a question about mounting the light as well.
    The Symtec Heat Demon heated elements under the Progrip 714's are working excellently as well. They get hot very quick and the low setting isn't too hot to ride with for extended periods. I had to ream the switch hole on the Motominded dash very slightly to get the grip heater switch to fit. I ran power from the battery through a relay for those.
    The front running lights for the turn signals and my GPS are powered by piggybacking off the USB charger port that is included with the dash. I like having the voltmeter up front on the USB port. I also put in an SAE pigtail (battery tender cord) that exits by my left knee to power a heated vest.
    Oh, and the Seat Concepts comfort XL has taken care of most of the vibrating eyeball problem at certain RPM's. I do in fact ride standing up most of the time off road, and it is just as narrow is stock up front, so no interference from the standing position. It is obviously wider in the back, so reaching the ground will be a little tougher if paddling along in technical terrain. I've got a fake knee, so I avoid that kind of riding anyway. If I was riding single track all the time, I'd stick with the stock seat, which is actually fairly comfortable now on the new bikes. IMG_20201017_162857273.jpg IMG_20201017_162052938.jpg IMG_20201017_163030791.jpg
    Bitingdog, mbillens1, nzrian and 2 others like this.