2021 KTM 500 EXC-F setup for dual sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mbillens1, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    /\ /\ /\

Looks good however you may want to monitor the interference between the front brake line and GPS. Worst case scenario has the front brake line loop over the GPS during significant front fork compression.
    Bitingdog, z_rider and JP4 like this.
  2. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Good point. That is also a factor when trying to mount a small windscreen on these bikes. A foot of suspension travel is a lot of brake line coming up.
    Fast1 likes this.
  3. mbillens1

mbillens1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finished my big trip:

All the gear worked really well except the chain oiler -- I'm gonna take that off and just carry a small squeeze bottle of oil.

I'm going to add some bar risers, my bars are a bit too low for comfort standing. I need to do the tail tidy and emissions delete and I'm going to try the shorter mirror RAM stalks to see if I like those better.

I might try one of the Green Chili soft racks - might be a more versatile setup for carrying the tool kit on short trips and the camping gear on longer trips.

One gripe with the bike - KTM doesn't supply the bolts for the levers if you don't run the stock hand guards -- those bolts are about $60-70 - feel like I was robbed ordering them.
    JP4 likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had a great trip!

As to the extra lever bolts, mine came in the orange KTM briefcase along with new rubber covers for the pivots. Same bag as the extra throttle cam and kickstand auto-retract bolt, rim locks, spark plug wrench. IMG_20201022_183428891.jpg IMG_20201022_183441382.jpg
  5. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    These came with your '21? My dealer said they weren't in the bag... When did you get your bike?
  6. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's a '21 that I got early September and the dealer even pointed out that the bolt kit was in there in case I wanted to do aftermarket hand guards. I'd go back to your dealer and have a chat. Good luck!
    ItsDoAble likes this.
  7. mbillens1

Oddometer:
    Gah, that's rather annoying - must have been missing from my kit or something - oh well.
    JP4 likes this.
  8. NrOneDad

NrOneDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey JP4, great build so far.
    thanks for the brilliant tip on the tail section. Totally copied your approach. (Hopefully no patent pending here) :-)
    I cut the license plate holder out off Plexiglas.

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

Did not do the front yet will wait for the sicass order to arrive. Ordered indicator rewire harness and flasher relay.

@mbillens1 If your dealer can not produce the bolts you should look into this set.
    The box is about 20 bucks and should hold what you need.

4.jpg

Be safe out there....
    JP4 likes this.
  9. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!
    Yeah, it's a little fiddly, but not hard to do your own tail tidy on the new bikes. If someone's going to sell one commercially, it really only needs to be the turn signal bracket. Mine was a little more complicated because I had to run switched power to my turn signals for the running light feature on them.
    Hey, I notice you're running a PMB end cap. What kind of ecu/tuner set up are you running? Thoughts on it? Thanks.
    NrOneDad likes this.
  10. NrOneDad

NrOneDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm still debating on the ECU. Right now I have a JD fuel tuner with limited results. The co2 feeler overwrites the tuner in steady throttle mode....cruising down the road etc..
    You can feel a little surge here and there and it pops if you go off throttle.

Leaning towards the GET from Taco Moto Mike....

your thoughts??
    JP4 likes this.
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Mine is bone stock in that department so far. As an old frail man, I certainty don't need more power. Doesn't stop me from wanting it though!
    pratered likes this.
  12. NrOneDad

NrOneDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here.... don't bounce as well as I used to....my goal is to smooth it out a little. And get rid of the harsh, off throttle response. I'm not in for power gain here, just a little more controllable throughout.
    The GET has a traction control option. That should help me to get the beast moving instead off digging holes in single tracks. :nono Going to change the tires to D606 that will help also.
    I will hopefully have it installed by next week and will post some pictures and results by then.

Be safe out there.....
    JP4 likes this.
  13. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Bird bait Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just realized I completely forgot about the bits bag you get with a new Husqvarna/KTM. I changed the handguards on my 20' 501 and spent a lot of time finding the right washer stack to take up space. Looked like crap in the end. Just pulled out the bag of bits from the back of my toolbox, and sure enough the shorter bolts are there with the rubber covers. Thanks JP4!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. Nice build mbillens1.
    JP4 likes this.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm all for more smooth, though I do find the stock fueling to be just about spot on. A little snatchy right off the bottom in tight single track, otherwise it runs like a dream compared to just about any thumper I've owned. Zero popping or flame outs.
    I just came back from another 50 mile dual sport rip today that was mostly gravel, bad Jeep roads, a little loamy forest single track, and some freshly made muddy logging roads. This bike is just incredible. The only place it's not optimum on a ride like that is the super tight single track. I don't do a ton of that anyway, so this bike is perfect for me.
    I almost be looped it today screwing around doing a wheelie off a big rock buried in the road. Whisky throttled it a little and missed the rear brake lever with my boot. Doh! It's just so damn fun I get carried away and forget how brittle I am Gonna try one of those extended brake pedal tips.
    Oh, I've been running the Goldentyre GT333 out back and the 216 Fatty up front with tubes. Awesome tires! Not nearly as good on the road as the 606 but pretty much velcro for the dirt around here.
  15. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Put these on today too. Evo 4 in the low position. Used one of the thin camber washers to give them just a little camber. Tried it first with one of the thicker washers and that looked too be pretty close to stock camber. Went with the shorter cleats all the way around. Super easy install on the EXC.
    Much mo better now with a little more leg room and the pegs farther back. IMG_20201023_134357649_PORTRAIT.jpg
    Bitingdog, moto74 and ItsDoAble like this.
  16. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    On the LHS with the stand down, how is the clearance, same as stock?
  17. NrOneDad

NrOneDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet Pegs, also on my list..... which is actually getting pretty long once you get started.:jjen

Never used a Goldentyre but will stop at my dealer tomorrow and take a look at it. Maybe a better option for the winter season here?

And you are right....it's probably the best thumper I have ridden, no stalls no flame outs just a little popping since I opened up the exhaust.
    Which actually made a big difference in overall engine temperature.

Soooo tomorrow morning oil change, tire shopping and Mountain's on the list.......:-)
    JP4 likes this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Zero issues with kickstand clearance.
    moto74 likes this.
  19. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Where do you live and how far from the dirt? I only have to go 2 to 3 miles to hit the dirt, so I'm willing to compromise on the street performance of the tire. You mentioned 606's earlier and that is a far better tire if you have to do much road mileage, IMHO. The Goldentyre seems much better in the dirt to me, but I've run a lot of 606's in the past on various bikes and always liked them. The GT's are really squirmy on the street comparatively, but I guess that's the price for dirt performance. I'm really liking the Fatty up front. Combined with the Scotts damper, it just tracks and goes where I point it. Tons of grip. I was running Motoz Mountain Hybrid on a DRZ recently, and that was a really good dual sport tire with great highway manners, though a little slippery in the goo.
  20. NrOneDad

NrOneDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the rundown on your experience.
    We live in Eagle ID, there is a lot of Dirt around us. Depends on where we like to ride that day, everything between 5 and 50 miles of black top is possible.
    I will not cover as many road miles in winter as I will in spring or summer. That sparked the idea of a "winter tire" for this season.
    Had a few 606 before, they are decent everywhere but not great anywhere.
    I will order a Cush hub for the back and might as well bite the bullet and order a front and just swap them out as needed.

Been hunting for the perfect compromise of bike for ever. Even bought a 390ADV in the beginning of this year and sold it shortly after.
    So far the 500 hits most of the spots, but there is always room for improvement......:D

Sooooo the dealer opens up in 30min....:happaylets see how much of explaining I have to do when I get back.:hide
    JP4 likes this.