2021 KTM 500 EXC-F setup for dual sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mbillens1, Sep 13, 2020.

1. rjg418

rjg418 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so i ended up modifying stock exhaust and it ended up really good performance wise coupled with my vortex ecu with map switch. I removed exhaust end screen, internal cone resonator, left in spark arrestor and drilled holes. It feels amazing and is not obnoxious loud. Its not running hot either. On the intake i removed reed block. I kept the smog installed for now until i get a delete kit.
    I got some lighting mods that i am finishing off, bike looks sick. I made my own tidy tail with individual psrts. I will post when complete.

Attached Files:

2. rjg418

rjg418 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the lighting kit. Enduro-tech.eu dual 5 and LED strips(running/signal) coupled with helmet light.

Attached Files:

JP4, MSH and Bitingdog like this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Curiosity got the best of me today and I pulled the reeds out of the intake boot. I followed Taco Mike's excellent video instructions and they came out super easy and undamaged.
    The throttle is a little more responsive and it pulls quite a bit harder, no surprise there. It does seem a little smoother than it did with the reeds in, particularly in map 2, which was not quite perfect before. Now it's really smooth on both maps, just more powerful in map 1. If you're not familiar, map 2 is for lower quality fuel or slow single track type riding. The ignition advance is less aggressive and the fan comes on 7 degrees earlier, among other things.
    I also installed the traction control switch, mostly out of curiosity. I'll get a good chance to play with it all next week as I'm hooking up with several buddies in southern Utah for a little camping, riding, and Old Crow consumption 20210916_213752.jpg 20210916_213745.jpg 20210916_181156.jpg 20210916_181142.jpg
  4. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's interesting what you say about the different maps.
    On my 2017 500 the manual states that map 1 is standard and map 2 is advanced and by my test map 2 is more aggressive. Edit - I just re read and you have the Get ECU (photos were slow to load on my connection)...
    upload_2021-9-17_17-46-25.png .
  5. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please report back on the traction control, I’m debating whether or not to purchase/install the knob when I order the Get from taco moto. Thanks for sharing
  6. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    These are the maps that come with the GET programmed by Taco Moto:
    20210917_101854.jpg
    PistolPetey and Takataka like this.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Will do. I will get to play in some sand washes this week. That should be good for testing the traction control function.
    PistolPetey likes this.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Doesn't TC take the fun out of it by removing the need for skillful throttle control?
  9. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it's completely unobtrusive. It just makes the bike work slightly better in certain situations. It's nothing like the road bike equivalent. The bike will still spin up and drift to your hearts content:D
    moto74, twinrider and PistolPetey like this.
  10. webnetxpress

webnetxpress DakarEnduro

Oddometer:
    I find the TC helpful on rock hill climbs. (this is with a non-usa spec bike that has TC and Map options in the OEM ECU).
    Stu, moto74 and Takataka like this.
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Just wrapping up over 400 miles of riding in the last five days in the desert. I'm at over 2,400 miles on the bike in the last year. The first 2k with the stock tune and the last 400 with the GET, PMB end cap and the reeds pulled. I thought the bike ran really pretty good stock, but now it's significantly stronger and a little easier to ride. I was worried that it might be a handful with the reeds pulled, but it is very manageable in map 2. I ran map 2 almost the entire time as it's still significantly more powerful than stock, but less chance of getting away from me in the technical sections. I honestly can't tell that the traction control is doing much. It's disabled above half throttle anyway. Nothing like the TC on my 790 which is very effective and easy to feel the different settings.
    The best feature for me of the GET is the ability to lug lower rpm and ride in a taller gear. That makes hooking up in the sand washes much easier and makes it easy to get smoothly through the rocky tech sections. I rode this same area in the spring with the stock tune and it's noticably easier to ride now with the GET. It's also fast as s#$t! I pinned it on a wide open stretch of gravel today and had to shut it down at 87 mph (gps) when I was running out of road. It was still pulling hard in 6th.
    So overall, I'm really pleased with the changes. Expensive for sure, but I'm happy I did it. I haven't done an accurate mpg test with the GET yet, but it still appears to be getting roughly 50mpg in map 2.
    Oh, and I bottomed out my rear suspension in a whoop section and ripped off one of my rear turn signals. Even though the bracket I made only hangs down 3/4 of an inch, that's not enough to clear the tire at full compression. Doh!
    20210925_123425.jpg
    Bhart89, moto74, PistolPetey and 2 others like this.
  12. webnetxpress

webnetxpress DakarEnduro

Oddometer:
    Nice. These are the do-all swiss army knife of bikes I think. I am closing in on 170hours on my 2021. I think thats around 6k miles or 7. Dont really watch an odometer. I just finished 7 days of kalahari rally riding/racing. The bike didn't miss a beat. I easily see 145kmh and a few times hit 160kmh (gps) but dont typically pin it past 145'ish. The bike is more than I'm capable of riding. Probably would be on a 250 as well ;)
    PistolPetey and JP4 like this.
  13. Mike in Roswell

Mike in Roswell Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with both of your observations. GET helps performance a lot. I also got good mileage. Off-road I was getting more than 60 mpg. I also don’t see much if any difference with the optional TC. You can still rooster and slide the back end around even when it’s set to 10. Maybe we need an 11?
    JP4 likes this.
  14. Mike in Roswell

Oddometer:
    BTW, really easy to install.
    JP4 likes this.
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    What heated grips are you guys running? Debating what brand to go with and the best place to mount the toggle switch or controller.
  16. Mike in Roswell

Oddometer:
    I exchanged messages with Taco Mike, who sold me the GET system with traction control. He explained to me that traction control only kicks in at 50% of throttle. I did not understand that before and may explain why I don’t feel it that often, as I rarely run at more than 50% off road.
  17. Mike in Roswell

Oddometer:
    Well, I replaced the OEM kickstand with an aftermarket billet stand. When I had a bunch of luggage on the back I was having trouble getting my leg up over it and so was using the foot peg to get on the bike. Ended up ruining the mount for the new kickstand and actually bending the frame where the kickstand attaches. I really don’t want to fool around with the frame because I’m afraid I’m gonna break something off so I’m just leaving it like that. I have put the OEM stand back on as it works OK even with the slight bend in the frame attachment. I am 6 foot one but I’m 65 years old I’m not that flexible anymore. When you all have luggage are there any creative ways of getting on and off the bike without stressing the kickstand and it’s attachment? I can do a rolling start and stop cowboy style. If I lean it against a tree or something I can also get up on it without having a kickstand down at all. Just wondering what you all do?
  18. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of make a hiya sound and then a little scream when I pinch my hip nerve. :lol3
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having dicked around with multiple heated grip options on many bikes, I've decided the Heat Demon elements under the grips of choice are the way to go. Since I have a collection of heaters, I drive them with a controller from Bikemaster or Oxford instead of the toggle switch they come with. If I could discover a cheap source of just the stick-on elements my life would be complete.
  20. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent description, thank you. :thumb
    JP4 likes this.