2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks, I always thought they would just pull out or mabey kick them real hard to pop them out. Sure glad you told me or I would have not known till it was to late.
    MeefZah likes this.
  2. old Roman

old Roman weekend adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2596CF2F-F157-4D60-A214-1ED0705ACAEB.jpeg 1DB6DDAF-769E-456E-BA8E-B0BE2EFAD736.jpeg

Say no to snow!
    Finally have new bike accumulating break in miles. Now that I actually have a KTM I am now entitled to tell everyone how they are doing it all wrong?
    JimmyMojave, roookie1, DCGH and 5 others like this.
  4. NextAdventre

NextAdventre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been using hard luggage for a few years. Planning to use panniers on the 890 with a KTM topcase. I’m impressed with how well built these Tusk Pilot panniers appear to be. Was doing a test pack and fit on the new bike. Looking forward to the annual moto-camping trip.

Attached Files:

5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    JUst brought my 890 R home today. I searched for this answer and didn't find it.

There's a ACC1 and ACC2 power in the front and rear. I only see 1 fuse for each under the seat 10 & 15amp respectively. I'm guessing they are on the same circuit? In other words, you have 10/15 amps between the front and rear? And, which one is switched? On my 690 only one of them is under the front mask.

Thanks
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are 2 ACC1 and 2 ACC2 sockets - 1 each in the headlight pod and 1 each under the seat. On the 2019 790 ACC1 is always on and is fuse 7 ACC2 is switched and is fuse 8. Both are 10A.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  7. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find any gray gloss 890 base ADV's at the three KTM dealerships near me. Of course, I happened on 2 at a dealer's floor in West Virginia when on vacation with my wife last weekend. Loved the color and made up my mind to find one in Philadelphia, only to find out they're all gone. Hopefully this color continues into 2022.
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    I just got a new 890 and feel like I'm going to have silly random questions that I can't seem to find an answer for through search. Here's another:clap

I use and like Oxford heated grips. I've always ran them to a switched circuit. I think something has changed since I installed them on my 690.
    The directions now state , and recommend, you can safely wire them direct to the battery since they automagically sense the bike isn't running and shut them off. Parasitic draw sucks. How have you wired your Oxford grips, on your 890? I'm not interested in what you did with any other brand of heated grips. Asking specifically about Oxford.

Thanks
  9. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see you finally got it!
  10. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. Dumb place to save money. Actually can’t see that it would cost KTM any more.
  11. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No one that I am aware of has run Oxford heated grips on the 890. It’s because of the unique grips KTM uses. Search the main 790/890 forum for the heated grip thread.
    levain likes this.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got you.

I went to battery. It was actually easier than taking apart the headlight nacelle and going to the ACC wires.

I've had several of the Oxfords in the past few years and the auto off technology is 100% now - there's no risk of leaving them on and draining the battery as there used to be. In fact all 3 bikes in my garage currently wear the version 8.0 ADV grips and no issues. They work great.

If you go to battery you can do it without removing the tank if you poke the wiring through just under the top right side of the tank. Using a strong piece of wire or similar helps get it through. A piece of wiring loom can then be slid over the wiring to protect it from engine heat and abrasion.

I will warn you getting the factory throttle grip off is a nightmare. I'd suggest buying a new throttle tube.

The photo angles make the wiring look way more exposed than it actually is... and don't mock my "custom " controller bracket...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    ^ oh also, my experience with installing these has led me to this bit of advice:

don't use the included super glue, use a high temp epoxy... I use JB Weld. The grips tend to rotate on the bars under high heat if you use the super glue. I've never had a grip failure that would necessitate grip removal so I have no qualms using a "permanent" type adhesive.
    levain likes this.
  14. alonad

alonad Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    @MeefZah looks great. Thanks.
    Did you destroy the throttle tube getting the old grip off? Why buy a replacement? I usually cut the stock grips off. I'm funny that way:rofl
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    No, the throttle tube came out intact, but the glue KTM uses to adhere the grip to the tube is of incredible strength and a lot of it. Prepare to spend several hours cutting and filing and cursing. Knowing now what I didn't then, I'd have bought a fresh tube and just used it rather than waste my time.
    levain likes this.
  17. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is good to be out on it now. Deposit was last fall and have a small mountain of accessories to install on it.
    DCGH likes this.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, you’re incorrect (maybe)...
    My 2019 had CC fitted and activated pre-delivery... In a box I have a LH switch block sans CC switch paddle...

As @groot-stuff says... Non-recyclable waste! Or a fall back spare in case of an unfortunate event!

As an industrial designer, I would have thought KTM would have cleverly designed the main switch block with a blank ‘patch’ that as std, was non CC enabled.
    Want the CC option? Pay a fee for having the patch popped out and a CC switch patch inserted plus the necessary software / firmware installation and off you go.
    Less wastage.
    Maybe global economies of scale in R&D, production, parts inventory control and warehousing, logistics etc simply dictate that 2 switch block types make $ sense.

Hate ‘non recyclable waste’ though!
  19. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First time I've seen this color combo. I like it- makes the bike look more of a piece (aka less ugly looking :lol3).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kthursto and tft like this.
  20. rjk47

rjk47 n00b

Oddometer:
    B&B in Lancaster has a gray one.
    RoaringTodd likes this.