2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be cool to see dyno results with that cross over open and then plugged. I suspect there are some tangible benefits within normal RPM/throttle riding but would love to see it on paper. I need unlimited funds, time, and equipment. :)
    Nowwhat and BHoward like this.
  2. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard a vicious rumor it was almost 3 horsepower increase.
    My but dyno says, it will pull 3rd gear wheelies much easier. I'm guessing it helps the power in the 5000-6000rpm range.
    MtnRoamer, Nowwhat and windblown101 like this.
  3. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone changed their tires yet and had a “defect” in the sealing strips on the rear wheel? I’m getting jerked around by my dealer. God, the KTM dealer network is BS.

Had some motoz tractionator gps mounted up to replace the tkc80’s. First off the dealer didn’t balance which I called them out on. Then when I get home and start cleaning the wheels I notice air bubbling from a couple spokes. I knew exactly what happened, but back to the dealer who tells me I now owe another $150 for this “defect”. I lost my damn mind to say the least.
  4. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get used to it... It's a love hate relationship.
    tft likes this.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Not leaking when you took it in and leaking after they changed the tire? Sounds like their tire monkey screwed up the rim strip and they don't want to have to eat the cost. How high up the food chain have you gone with the dealer? That sort of thing is bad for ones blood pressure.
  6. tft

Oddometer:
    Well last night I was dealing with the service manager who decided it was the right time to try and sell be a tire and wheel plan. Today it’ll be the owner if need be.
    If they would’ve found the “defective” sealing strip when they pulled the tire off for the first time I’d likely be fine with it. My frustration stems from them sending me out into the world with a leaking tire. There is a reason I do most my own wrenching. I just hate doing tires.
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    It's not surprising they missed it as it's easy to miss the damage. No shops I know of test for a leak after installing a tire unless it's obviously spewing air. All that said, it sounds like they goofed and should be fixing it on their dime.

I'd have a calm talk with the owner. If you don't get anywhere then walk away and forget they existed. Life is short, buy some spoons. ;)
    BHoward, Yukon Ho! and tft like this.
  8. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Stand with them while they pull the tire off to show you the defect and point out the tire money damaged it. The strip may not be damaged sometimes it just gets knocked loose. But that dealer is treating you badly
    tft likes this.
  9. tft

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic. You can just see the band not seated in the grove. Something to keep an eye out for.

Attached Files:

10. tft

Oddometer:
    Update on the tire “saga”:
    The sealing gasket strip and outer rim strip are on back order. Looks like I’m running a tube for the time being. I’m about to take off on the AZBDR from Texas. Hope it all holds up.
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having not actually peered inside, and not seeing the image too well... are these held in place essentially by air pressure, or glued in, or what? I've always kind of envisioned just sort of a "factory" Outex kind of deal.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to remove the TFT to gain access to ACC wires under headlight. He mentions a clip at 1:08. I can't find one. Yes the screw is removed. what am I missing? Something is holding it on...

Edit: Ahh! Of course, after posting I stick a screwdriver in and work this little post out. I was looking for a "clip"
    PXL_20210505_211544852.MP.jpg
    tft likes this.
  13. tft

Oddometer:
    I’m honestly not sure. I haven’t been able to look for myself. I believe there is a channel that they mount into. Surely someone on here has first hand experience. These are my first spoked tubeless wheels.
  14. tft

Oddometer:
    Its easiest to remove the headlight in my opinion. It’s honestly not hard at all and gives you super easy access.
    darkstar1269 likes this.
  15. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, after watching the video, pulling the whole headlamp assy was easier and less risky to damaging headlight surround and trim pieces.
    grab941.jpg grab939.jpg grab943.jpg
    Then I just fished fabricated pigtails for ACC1 & 2 up to access ports which also connect to the GPS mount cavity. All this can be done on bench.
    grab944.jpg
    MBigButt and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    I've done a shit load of 1190 tires with the same strip. Just lube the sealing strip and push it back into the channel it seals into.
    tft and MeefZah like this.
  17. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats what I was wondering- what is the life expectancy of a rim strip if you lube it and dont rip it up doing a change. Id hope it last 5 or 6 tires. Brian seems like you state yes, it should last multiple changes if done right. Thats good to hear.
    The fella that posted his leaked -what # tire change was that. and yes, seems like crappy dealer handling just to say oh, its gonna be another 150.
  18. tft

Oddometer:
    Can I give you my mechanics number? Lol
  19. tft

Oddometer:
    1st tire change.
    The dealer doesn’t know what they are doing or talking about.
    If I can just get my tire and wheel back I’m doing it myself.
    It’s a whole mess at this point.
  20. tft

Oddometer:
    What do you use to lube the sealing strip?