2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love this game.
    How about that little hidden screw that holds the headlight together. At the top, in the plastic.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Not sure which one you're thinking.

Thanks for playing!
  3. tft

Oddometer:
    Behind this center cover.

Attached Files:

4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to hold the top windscreen portion down?
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    Nope
  6. levain

Oddometer:
    The one screw? In the center? Nyet. No clue where this goes. Going in the jar of random ktm bolts for now. I give up.
  7. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess it is the one that is now hidden by the windscreen. Would have to remove the metal part to find the hidden place you missed one. I would wait until it was apart again
  8. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pull that center strip on headlight and it goes sideways from front brake lever side maybe-- there is a good vid on remove headlamp on youtube guy shows every screw
    levain likes this.
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I think it is. It's gonna wait
  10. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!

First shake down run on my 2021 890 R today and I’m impressed. Sold my 690 R this week, this was my first ride back on a bigger bike .. the last was my old 990.

1st impressions:

Excellent suspension - the first time in years I didn’t pull over the fiddle with the setup (I have mine on comfort) or start thinking about mods I might need to make. Great straight out of the box. This is light years better than my 2014 690 R which I had revalued etc. The rally must be like a magic carpet!
    Great power and electronics package - the power and traction control work very well together, on slippery WA pea gravel & sand TC setting 4 seemed a good compromise. The off-road ABS is imperceptible in operation. So easy to ride quickly with confidence.
    Controls - the gearbox is so slick, up to Japanese standard. I found the clutch pull light enough and worked okay with 2 fingers. Surprised there wasn’t as much bite in the front brake as I’d have expected but the rear was really good.
    Ergos - sat down I found the bike wide …. But that’s to be expected coming off the 690. Stood up it’s nice and narrow and the bars were in a good spot. I have pivot pegs in the lower position and that felt good. It would have been a little cramped sat down in the foot peg original position. The screen in the higher position created turbulence at highway speeds so it’s back to the low spot from now on.
    Lastly … a 200km ride and the fuel gauge didn’t budge …. Amazing! No more fuel anxiety.

Overall after 100km of tighter dual track I’m mighty impressed. The 50km to and from the trails was a breeze compared to the 690.

I left the Karoo 3’s at road pressure and they did okay (surprised) but the front doesn’t like turning sharply and didn’t like loose surfaces too much. I’ll stick with them while running the bike in.

Never been a fan of the looks of the 790/890 … but they grow on you once they’re in your garage. The 2 x 990’s I owned were awesome bikes but that v-twin was thirsty, the 690 was good but there were lots of compromises …. I’m amazed how much things have moved on with the 890 R, KTM have created a great package with this bike.

Looking forward to the next ride.

Attached Files:

Offsome, MBigButt, Kellaupat and 13 others like this.
  11. Jan-Lucas

Jan-Lucas n00b

Oddometer:
    I managed to get the heated grips manual from my dealer. Attached below. If you need the full pdf with all factory warnings etc then send me a note. It is a pdf and I didn't know how to attach that. DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-1.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-2.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-3.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-4.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-5.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-6.jpg DOK-PP-BED-63712964088-FI-SALL-AWSG-V1-7.jpg
  12. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That makes the installation look very straight forward. Other instructions I have seen mention a connector above the engine the necessitates pulling the tank off.
  13. tft

Oddometer:
    You absolutely have the pull the tank off to get to that connector. It is not located as shown in that manual. Well it wasn’t on mine. If it is on yours, congrats.
  14. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now the world has your finger prints!
    levain likes this.
  15. Rage'n Cajun

Rage'n Cajun Sport bike rider turned ADV enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hell-Ga at Dealership.jpg

I traded my 1290SAR for this beauty on Saturday. They installed the Tech Pack and are waiting for backordered heated grips. They had no issue with the Tech Pack and it works well. I only have 80 miles on her after the trade-in, but have had none of the reported throttle/stalling, TFT fog, Tech Pack loading, tire or other fluid leaks. Fingers crossed!! It's been an absolute joy to romp around town. The clutchless shifting is WAY smoother than the 2020 1290 and the false neutral issues I had, thankfully, are not present here. I've even been quite happy with the windscreen in the upper position on the highway and "might" not even have to replace it with something bigger. Mirrors and pegs from the 1290 get swapped out this week and a few items will get added over the next few weeks, including an outback pannier rack for my Mosko backcountry panniers, and their rotopax mount for a 1 gallon rotopax, a rear luggage rack since the tail rack on this is pretty close to useless, skid plate (not sure if I want to worry about a center stand or not), and am having a local seat guy shave down the stock seat before I start messing with springs (my 30" inseam is severely taxed by the seat height). I can't wait for the trails to dry up a little, and get this offroad!
  16. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ congrats

Re: TFT fog, it takes a while to start. Mine was clear for the first month but lately the corners have been showing moisture. Nothing that obstructs display and it dissipates after 45 minutes of riding.
    Rage'n Cajun likes this.
  17. Rage'n Cajun

Rage'n Cajun Sport bike rider turned ADV enthusiast

Oddometer:
    OH! Good to know, thanks!
  18. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that the connector is no where in sight on my 890, I had a good look around for it (without removing the tank) today.
  19. tft

Oddometer:
    I’ve posted pics before, but it’s here on the left side buried.

Attached Files:

Kthursto likes this.
  20. Mikalle76

Mikalle76 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have been pondering the switch from the f850gs to the 890 Adventure (not r) For those who have owned both, or have shifted from BMW to KTM what was it about the KTM that made you switch? I know for me, just after test riding the 890, it feels like a smaller bike. Although I am not a tall fella 5'6" 28" inseam the seat felt lower and the weight was definitely carried lower.