2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many miles you have on your bike now but give the suspension some time to break in. My 790 became better after a few thousand kilometers.
    Have you tried setting the sag etc. on your bike. If you way more than 85kg or run with a lot of luggage you may want to change the springs on the rear shock, strangely enough a spring with a higher rating can actually give you a better ride as it is less compressed.
  2. Jan-Lucas

Jan-Lucas n00b

Oddometer:
    I should have paid attention to your post. On my bike the plug is in the same place as on yours so I suppose it will be like that on all of them. Unfortunately, as it was not in the place as per the instructions I looked at the nearest other place and pulled the headlight off for nothing.

The other thing that is not true in the instructions is that you have to go to the dealer to get them activated (original KTM heated grips). You can activate them yourself via the Settings menu.

EDIT - on my bike I activated them via the menu. Put them on a friend's bike today (3 June 2021) and no menu option showed to activate them. He will have to take his bike to the dealer to get them activated.
  3. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well this happened before I could even get to the AZBDR. The tanks will not hold up against an asphalt slide. Rider ok btw.

Attached Files:

4. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad your ok ...looks painfull
    tft likes this.
  5. tft

Oddometer:
    The stock hand guards rotated and the clutch lever was ground down as well. The windscreen snapped at the mounting point. Haven’t had the bike in to inspect for any more damage.
  6. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the fuel tank compromised or is it just the sacrificial cover thingy? Hard to see.
  7. tft

Oddometer:
    Fuel tank is 100% compromised. It wore a hole all the way through.
  8. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what that means. If there is any bike I distrust its a BMW.
  9. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats just one more area they can do better - like really, who plans/designs and Fs this up
    glad you are ok- bike took a beating-- so, you going to tell us the grisly details :-)
  10. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. It is hard to see the hole in the picture, and there doesn't seem to be any wet fuel in the photo either. I'm curious how thick the tank plastic is at that spot. Can you post a photo that shows the tank hole?
  11. tft

Oddometer:
    The bike is loaded on a truck right now. I’ll get some better pics soon.
  12. tft

Oddometer:
    Not to exciting unfortunately. My riding buddy hit my right side. I think he clipped my handle bar with his. I went down immediately. I was slowing from I think 50mph to 40mph and he didn’t notice. The bike must have slid over 100ft.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really sorry about your mishap.
    Its all fun and games till a bike is disabled. I know it doesn't help you know but for the future.
    My bike came with Carbon fiber tank guards, I know that is not gonna hold up, I also know the plastic guards won't hold up. However if you have a Carbon fiber guard with Kevlar to help with sliding and installed that over OEM plastic tank guards that should work. I have fallen over a lot however I have not tested the abrasion resistance to the extent you have.
    In theory the carbon fiber with the Kevlar should help with the abrasion resistance.
    I got the CF guards from Kodama.
    Screenshot_20210528-131329_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210528-131047_Gallery.jpg
    tft likes this.
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

So you low-sided after contact? What riding gear were you wearing, and how did it, and your body fare?
  15. tft

Oddometer:
    Yes, low side after contact. I think he must’ve knocked my right handlebar violently to the left because I immediately came off. I never stood a chance. I was wearing arai xd4 helmet, Alpinestar Andes jacket with all the armor removed, leatt airfit 3df armor under the jacket, revit tornado 3 pants, forma adventure boots, revit sand 3 gloves.
    The gear preformed amazingly, I will rebuy and recommend every piece of kit. The jacket and pants shredded but the only road rash I have is about a 3” circle on my right “love handle”. My jacket had peeled up, I was able to rotate to my back so it’s very minor. I do have a large bruise on the front of my of my right thigh where I impacted first. I also have some pretty painful stretched muscles/ligaments on my upper ribs. I was supermanning for the first bit of the slide and I was very painfully stretched out. It’s possible I was still holding onto the bike at that point but I’m not sure.
    kirill_k and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did your friend come out, did he even go down.
    Did he offer to pay for the damages?
    Or split the cost?
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about this @tft

I've been on the fence about which skid plate. This has me leaning towards the AXP plastic plate since it has the side wings covering the fuel tanks. I've been really happy with the one on my 690.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

Everyone flinches in a holy shit moment. It's what you do next that counts. You sound like you fared pretty well. Happy to hear that!

Personally, it's a great reminder to zip my jkt and pants together which until now I don't think I've remembered to do before riding off. Save the jkt riding up. Mind you I can do without the love handles....:photog
    tft likes this.
  19. tft

Oddometer:
    My buddy was on a 2019 690 enduro r. His bike sustained minimal damage and he was wearing similar gear. He on the other hand has a broken arm, broken ankle and had a little brain bleeding. He was not so lucky, although he was released from hospital just today thankfully.
    levain, BHoward and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. tft

Oddometer:
    you make an excellent point about zipping you jacket and pants together.