2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have to take up hot yoga to see the idea come to fruition though .. :doh
  2. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again the visuals will be hard to shake.....
  3. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Haha. I heard you say that in the voice of John Carroll Lynch from Big Sky when he yells, “Ronald, once again, VERY DISAPPOINTED!,”
  4. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I needed this lol moment tonight, thanks!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad everyone is mostly OK.

The insurance company will total the bike if the gas tank is damaged..

Good time to pull all your farkles off
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They might, but 80% of estimated value in damages is the cut-off I believe. Insurance might not right it off. All depends on what all else gets added to the repair bill. My rough guess would be a shop estimate in the neighborhood of 5-8 grand. However if they find frame damage to go along with that gas tank it's likely done.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it's a California law. ? Tank damage = total
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    That sucks... :(
    Nowwhat likes this.
  9. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking $5-$8k as well.
    I hope the bike isn’t totaled. I don’t know when I’ll be able to find another Adventure R. 80% of $14200 is $11360.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts availability can get a bike totaled also. If they can't get the bike repaired in a reasonable amount of time, they'll write it off also.

Glad you came out relatively unhurt. I had a similar slide like that about a month ago, and ate through my tank protector plastic also. Didn't eat through the tank though. Sounds like you slid further. Mine was on a hairpin turn, so it quickly left the pavement on the other side of the road.

I don't know why people keep those crap hand guards on their bikes, and wait until they break. It's a terrible idea. As you can see, a lot more was damaged because they failed so miserably.

I crash more than I ride, and those hand guards are what make this bike nearly unbreakable.

Here's my "hole" just for show and tell. :)

PXL_20210524_145356034-01.jpeg

Look on the bright side, maybe you'll get a new bike. :D
    tft and Kthursto like this.
  11. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Not sure if the rules are the same with bikes and trucks, but friends in the US have interfered when the tow comes to pick up their wreaked 4x4, and claim salvage rights. Particularly if what they can harvest in terms of farkles, and OEM parting out exceeds what the insurance company was willing to credit it all for. They appear to come out much further ahead this way.
    tft likes this.
  12. nibby

nibby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    bad luck but just keep thinking, it's only a bike, main thing is all survived and walked away.

If they write the bike off ask if you can buy the bike back from them, over here you can at a low cost (for cars anyway) bank the cheque buy a new tank and keep riding.
    tft likes this.
  13. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    I did a very short low speed slide when dog attempted to eat front tire. Abrasion on the protector wasn’t too bad but the friction of hard pack dirt broke mounts on the protector and twisted the basting pan skid plate. I went with a AXP not because I ride in a lot of rocks but because I wanted a bit more material between any asphalt mishaps and the tank. Crashing sucks for sure.
    tft, levain and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. Kthursto

Kthursto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i can’t make it out, what hand gaurds are those?
  15. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stock guards, they didn’t break but they did rotate and front brake lever took a beating.
  16. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i low sided a while back ...probably 35-40mph on a turn(was being stupid ... it rained the night before,she was wearing rallz tires and i hit the metal joint in the turn ,it was an on ramp to a bridge and i was a bit too aggressive ) the point is i had barkbusters ,and AXP plate .
    the bike skid 50ft. the tank protector part of the axp took the brunt of it shaved about 1/4 off the barkbusters were pretty scratched up
    but the tank was fine
    Nowwhat and asphaltsurfer1 like this.
  17. robin_nerf

robin_nerf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I washed my 890 Adv R for the first time today, did it gentle (no pressure washer) and used a car blower afterwards, then I took my time to apply the whole bike with ACF-50 and after have giving it some time to sink in I "polished" it all in with a clean microfiber cloth.
    I let it idle for about 5min as it smoke a bit, took a short ride and before the engine had reached it's normal temperature the oil-light turned on and the bike shut of, either I hit the kill switch by misstake or something else happend, but what ?? I stopped, kill the ignation and turned it back on, no problem at the rest of the way home....
    It also feelt like the back wheel was breaking really hard(almost skid) just when it died.

I also saw two other things when trying to apply ACF-50 eveywere :

Is this suppose to be loose ?

whatthis.jpg
    And what are these things for, some luggage fastener ?
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yes, the OEM stabilizer wiggles around and the holes in the back of the Passenger pegs are for luggage racks as you guessed.
  19. old Roman

old Roman weekend adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. It is good to know that there is no need to rush to open the damper. My bike is still on not much more than 1000 kms. In my part of the Europe the springtime was this year not very biker friendly.
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  20. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 890 just works no problems to report this forum sure makes it seem like the parallel world has lots anxiety ( to use an over worked term these days) :)
    PXL_20210526_192838374.jpg
    joelee, old Roman, Rsquared and 3 others like this.