2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same

Turned over 6k miles in 2.5 mo yesterday

No significant problems to report, only very occasional minor glitches (missed shifts, TFT moisture in the corners in the morning, etc)

Moisture possibly self induced

[​IMG]
  2. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Just scheduled my 9,300 mile service for my 890 Adventure R. Figured it was time to throw out my impressions and review of this machine at this stage. *Note: this is my first KTM.

I purchased this 2021 890 Adventure R in January. Since then I have racked up approximately 9k miles in various terrains and conditions which include thousands of miles of pavement (interstate - multiple 500-600 mile days, twisty roads of Arkansas - pig trail type stuff, paved mountain roads) and thousands of miles off road (mini sand dunes, sand, fire roads, rocky crawler tracks of the Ozarks, Death Valley, Ozark mud, water crossings, small jumps, berms etc.). I also dedicated time to test the different suspension settings, electronics, ride modes, and maximum braking potential although I still have a long way to go and need a lot more time on these fronts.

I purchased the 890 R to see if a "middleweight" adventure bike with more off road focus could replace my 2020 R1250 GSA in the garage. This "middleweight" bike would have to be good at everything particularly long distance adventure travel. I planned a full season to complete my assessment but if you want to stop reading now, the GSA is already sold and the 890 Adventure R has replaced it. I have been on a GSA since 2018 and I still consider it one of the best all around do everything long distance adventure bikes on the market but the KTM 890 Adventure R replaced it in my garage and the reasons why may surprise you or not.

Top reasons why the 890 Adventure R lives in my garage and not the GSA.....
    1. The KTM 890 Adventure R fits me better than the GSA. This is purely n=1. I am 5'9" and 165-170. Seat height rarely matters to me thus that wasn't a consideration. The KTM just fits me better in terms of my influence over the bike (rider to bike weight ratio) and the ergonomics (standing and sitting) for my riding style (on and off road).
    -
    2. The 890 R is a tractor. I found no difference between low end grunt between my GSA's and the 890 R. I am sure the engineers on this thread are rolling their eyes but my statement reflects rider impression and real world riding. The low end grunt is big for me considering my experience, skills, terrain, load out etc. Not only is the 890 R a tractor, it can also be a hair on fire balls out "ready to race" bike that I never would get from my GSA.
    -
    3. Balanced. While its COG doesn't feel as good as the GSA, its 360 degree balance feels better. It is extraordinarily stable and forgiving.
    -
    4. The suspension is insanely good. So good, I can't help but wonder if the 240mm WP PRO stuff is going to end up on this bike over the winter just to see how good it can really get. I found I love to adjust and play with suspension - something I couldn't do on my GSA.
    -
    5. The off road performance and capabilities of the 890 R trumped the on road capabilities and performance of the GSA. The GSA out brakes and out turns the 890 R in the twisties and is significantly better at eating up interstate miles. A lot of the GSAs exceptional on road performance has to do with better brake feel and wheel sizes. The GSA and KTM don't really compare in regard to wind protection and nope, I am not adding a tall screen - just can't do it. As good as the GSA is on road the 890 R isn't that far off and pretty darn good itself. Now, the 890 R is in a completely different ball park off road. That being said, I still got dropped by a guy on a GSA in the Ozarks but he is a vastly superior rider and I was able to keep up for 80% of the run....all due to the 890 Rs off road capability - seriously. As I do most of my trips solo and primarily use pavement to get to the backcountry the 890 Rs off road performance is just too damn good to pass up.
    -
    6. Off road ABS is the best I have ever used and I doubt I will ever be able to outperform it. Rally mode is so good I am still figuring out how to change the way I ride to fully utilize the electronics.

Modifications in order of importance to "I think its cool level":
    1. Scott's steering damper or any damper with adjustable high speed and low speed settings. I adjust and use it both on and off road equally. I don't like how you need to raise the bars with the Scott's but the trade off is worth it.
    2. Grip Puppies. So good.
    3 KTM PowerParts break away CNC brake and clutch levers. These are awesome, I hated the stock levers. Also, allows me to keep the stock hand guards with less worry about the levers breaking.
    4. Camel ADV 1 finger clutch - wow!
    5. Antigravity restart battery. The restart function is a mental game changer when I am out in the backcountry. 5 lb weight saving.
    6. Doberman titanium exhaust. Beautiful in my eyes and the sound! Saves a few pounds too.

After reading the KTM forums, I was really hesitant about buying a KTM adventure bike. Enduro/Motocross etc. bikes are a slightly different ball game. Reliability of an adventure bike has to be a top priority if you use a ADV bike for long distance remote back country travel - I guess any bike used for that purpose, reliability has to be at the top of the list. So after reading the threads I was hyperaware of potential issues and kind of approached the bike like something was going to go wrong. Long and short of it, nothing has gone wrong. Nothing. Zero, zilch. I have crashed numerous times (I call everything a crash even if you drop it parking and I have done way better than crashing it parking) and aside from cosmetic damage she is good to go.

So there you have it. The KTM 890 Adventure R is now my ADV bike of choice and I have never had so much fun on a bike.

This post wouldn't be complete without a little bitching about what I don't like:
    1. Brakes. The front brake feedback is not good and inconsistent. The rear brake is decent.
    2. The quickshifter has a mind of its own and false neutrals are just waiting to throw me over the bars. I know a lot of people rave about the quick shifter but I still haven't been able to coax it into dancing with me. Particularly 1st to 2nd.
    3. Questionable dealer/service network
  3. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Excellent post. I largely concur.
    joelee likes this.
  4. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience quick shifters never work well in the lower gears, especially 1st to 2nd. and the KTM is no exception, so keep giving using the clutch there...
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Weirdly my only QS issue has been 5-6, and rarely. It's 100% in all other gears but every so often I'll be WFO going from 5-6 and it misses the upshift, bounces into neutral, and I hit the rev limiter before I can re-shift...
  6. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    One of the things that doesn't get enough play with this machine is the fuel economy and range. It's incredible. This was my fill up this morning, after a weekend / tank of interstate speeds, two track, wheelies... 265 miles on the tank with approx 24 miles left to go and still 1/2 gallon fuel remaining. It's really amazing and makes a good bike even better. I used to have to call ahead to 'one-pump' general store gas stations here on the Lost Coast to make sure they had fuel before I headed out... fuel is literally the last thing I even think about now. For a bike this good to be so fuel efficient at speeds and conditions it is actually ridden in (as opposed to 6th gear at 48 mph with cruise set on a downhill) is goddamn amazing.

Inked20210601_093824_LI.jpg 20210601_092821.jpg
  7. VandallusBand

VandallusBand Motorcycles, Music, Guns, Bang Your Head, Bleed!!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I love these KTM's but man they sure have a mind of their own at times. I must have really bad luck because my last 2 KTM's have been plagued with this BS...

Pretty much every time I go to start the bike cold it is only running on 1 cylinder for approximately 1 minute with rpms only at about 900. It starts instantly than dies usually a few times. Once I re-start it and rev it a little the left cylinder finally kicks on, but I can smell some unburnt fuel at times, so I’m thinking it’s an electrical/spark issue? I just ordered new iridium plugs from Rottweiler hoping it’s just a bad plug along with a canister removal kit to eliminate the chance of some crazy canister fuel/vent issue…

Any ideas? It seemed to do this even before installing the PCV so I doubt that's the issue. I only have 600 miles on the bike and am about to do the first oil change but it's been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks.
  8. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine was doing the same this morning without a PCV.
    VandallusBand likes this.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    @sprouty115
  10. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Seems like something a dealer scan tool should be able diagnose. Warranty?
    Dealer not available?
    comradecasey likes this.
  11. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha
    You serious
    You been reading these threads
    Tons of folks have same issue
    No one has answers
    My 890 with 600 miles does same
    My Dealer says a yeah it’s annoying but no fix
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Booster plug?

:hide
  13. markgrolex

Oddometer:
    who knows- anyone running a booster plug and still having cold start/ first start of day issues
  14. Kthursto

Kthursto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get very similar cold start operation. Once warm. No issues. Just a short period of rough running when cold. I have never worried about it. Runs like a top in short order
    levain likes this.
  15. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the multiple attempts at starting because mine had that but it was not running on one cylinder for a minute.
    I don't think "tons of folks" have had the issue of a bike running on one cylinder for a minute.
    If your bike runs on one cylinder and it's under warranty then take it to a reputable dealer.
    Ham and nibby like this.
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does it occasionally. 1200miles. If I blip the throttle it settles into normal idle. If it's not indicative of a bigger problem, I'd rather not take the time to get to a dealer and sit there while they diagnose. I guess I don't know what the answer is:dunno:dunno
  17. markgrolex

Oddometer:
    Maybe tons was the wrong wording- if we can gather some DETAILED feedback from group maybe we can paint a better picture
    Owners please reply :
    does your bike have hard cold start
    does it sound as it has a miss, running one cylinder during that cold start issue
    790 or 890
    is it bone stock or any mods
    has your dealer fixed it- and what was the fix
    has the fix worked
    miles on bike and how long you had issue
    what does your dealer say if not fixed
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  18. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    does your bike have hard cold start...YES
    does it sound as it has a miss, running one cylinder during that cold start issue...YES
    790 or 890
    is it bone stock or any mods...STOCK
    has your dealer fixed it- and what was the fix... NO, is in "process of calling KTM to ask"
    has the fix worked...NA
    miles on bike and how long you had issue...~500, since new
    what does your dealer say if not fixed..
    live2ridetahoe likes this.
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Seems like you need to find a better dealer, or contact the local service tech.
    If the bike is only running on one cylinder, that is not a properly running bike. Before digging in and causing more problems, get it documented at the dealer of this issue. If there is no fix now, might be one down the road. Mine has not had this issue. If I had a warranty, I'd use it.

I've fixed so many owner induced issues on the 950/990s when riders didn't know what they were doing and didn't want to go to a shop. Then they complained the bike is horrible. The 790/890, is a much more advanced bike, but still air, fuel, and spark.

I'll follow along to read of your fix.
    comradecasey, levain and Nowwhat like this.
  20. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 790 and has had the cold start issue intermittently, would take three or four starts when starting it for the first time in the day and never a problem after that.
    Mine never sounded like a miss or that it was running on one cylinder but it would start up and just cut out immediately.
    I de-catted at 1000km and recently added a Rotti airbox and Rapid bike racing module.
    I tried a Booster plug for awhile but which seemed to work for a short period but then it went back to the three tries to start.
    I live in South Africa and KTM here has a "low octane" map which was loaded on the bike, initially it didn't seem to work but after a few weeks it was one press starts for many months. Unfortunately this map is only available to some countries (like third world countries) that have lower octane fuel.
    Mine continued starting on the first try for about a year until I installed the Rotti airbox and Rapid Bike module, now it doesn't always start first time, I would say it takes multiple tries about 25% of the time.
    I currently have about 13 000km on the bike and the last mods where done about 2 000km ago.
    I live at sea level and the lowest temps I have had when starting the bike are about 13C.

There is an entire thread dedicated to this: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-790-takes-a-few-tries-to-start.1406095/