2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    You looking pretty hard at them dudes, mang

** not that there's anything wrong with that!!!!
    Dan D. likes this.
  2. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me gusta!
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

Tech gets me every time .. talk about slim form factor :jack
    kubcat likes this.
  4. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    That didn't last long. Felt a little better after seeing the weight savings.

tempImageyDgY6A.jpg tempImageG9TNc1.jpg tempImagek1a9sS.jpg tempImageE6ZzYG.jpg tempImagek6Nkhf.jpg
    Willmrx and Dan D. like this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your phone was probably ringing off the hook anyway .. 'Hey, it's the 1970's, we heard you had one of the last remaining sets of incandescent signals to be had. Be a sport, will ya, and give them back?'. :photog
    ErGuss and rplo like this.
  6. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am skid plate shopping. it seems most companies retain the stock tank covers. I was originally looking for a skid plate covering those too, but most folks are just running them stock, no crash bars. maybe these plastic shrouds are tougher than I thought?
  7. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the axp...

Thanks for the jacket btw. :cool:
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I haven't really thought a whole lot about the reasoning but here is my opinion on that. I run the stock shrouds and a Camel skid plate.

I think the majority of crashes / tip overs / slides / penetrating trauma to the machine will be straight at the bottom (covered by skid plate) for like log hopping and such, or along the sides of the tank (tank being pretty damn durable) in a lowside. If you fall over, impact will be higher than the shrouds. If you punch through brush and such the tank itself will absorb the hits and the shrouds will be pretty much untouched. Thus the area covered by the shrouds pretty much seems like a "lee area" for damage and I so don't really think it's critical to have heavy duty protection there. Granted there may be an odd scenario of a puncture or similar where something finds its way into that area but I don't think it's reasonable to try and safeguard against every conceivable possible way of damaging the machine. You buy coverage for the areas that are most prone to taking hits and you take your chances with the other stuff.

I have no experience with AXP but a short look at this thread and the skid plate thread reveals a few failures in some cases multiplying damage.
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Also I passed an 890R riding with a DR or DRZ on Mattole Rd, Lost Coast, Calif yesterday. Had some aftermarket lights. Anyone here?

Good day to ride here in coastal NorCal.
  10. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the stock plastic protectors function as intended but they won’t hold up in a asphalt slide.
    If you are trying to protect against every scenario you’ll need to upgrade to something else. I find the tank to be very sturdy and on its own would likely be fine against a significant drop or rock bashing.
    I didn’t like the looks of the axp plate but that’s personal preference.
    I’ve been extremely happy with my Ian skid plate but I’ll likely look into the carbon&kevlar tank protectors when I’m back on the road.
    Anyone have any experience with the tank protectors from RadeGarage?

Attached Files:

11. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got the p/n for the white rally fork guards? Trying to buy a set since idk if I like the black or the white ones more on my 1290.
  12. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Axp
    EvilSteve and alonad like this.
  13. robin_nerf

robin_nerf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont know what it is, if it is the switch to not let you ride with your sidestand is down but it looks suspect to me ?
    Does your 890 Adv R look like this ? The cable sleeve seems short and the rubber thing feels missplaced...

vregre.jpg fewgerg.jpg
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is the sidestand safety switch. They all have that funky rubber grommet that doesn't fit into anything on the 790/890 adventure. It was undoubtedly a part originally designed for a different model and KTM adapted it for use on the 790/890 ADV.
  15. epicday

epicday Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really happy with the AXP on my 890!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  16. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What wheel set did you go with to achieve 19”/17”? Thx!
  17. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with Woody's Wheels and had them lace up Stock KTM 19" and 17" hoops to stock KTM hubs. Fit and finish is excellent but dang they were pricey.
    If I was to do it again I would search for a set of KTM 1190S 19/17 spoked wheels used. You see them occasionally in the For Sale section here for ~$900 -$$1000 for the set.

Cost aside they made a huge difference in handling and my ability to get both feet down as needed.
  18. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 19/17 set from Woody’s and you definitely get what you pay for. Excellent craftsmanship.
    sherloc likes this.
  19. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this has been answered somewhere waaaay before now, but my search abilities must be as bad as my riding abilities. :lol3

In Rally mode, what is the difference between throttle response of Rally vs Street?
  20. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rally = way too twitchy at low speeds, like an on/off switch, making me look like a whisky-throttling newbie on my bike up to about 30mph. OTOH, it seems to be the secret to @Dan D. photos
    Street = full access to the power of the bike that comes on in a more gradual way at lower speeds/throttle openings.
    Kthursto, CheapB and Dan D. like this.