2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    As above. Both of those holes are unplugged from new.
    666 likes this.
  2. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I thought so too, but I can clearly see marks of something that was there before.

I did check after few minutes, no oil visible on sight glass. Added about 100 ml and it was enough.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone previously pointed out that those bosses were probably there for the manufacturing process, so yes, there probably was something bolted into those holes in the past, but not since you've owned it.
  4. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just accidentally spent a small fortune of a new custom wheel set. would anyone want to buy the stockers? 1100 miles on the rims. tkc 80 on the front with about 1100 miles. motoz tract adventure on the rear with 200 miles. front has a very, very slight bend. still holds air perfectly and isn't noticeable riding. what is a fair ask?
  5. comradecasey

comradecasey Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Bout tree fiddy.
    ErGuss likes this.
  6. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys getting OEM air filters (the paper filters) at? My dealer can't get them... and I can't find them online. Is the 790 filter (part #60306015100) the same? (Edit to answer after some research: yes, the part number is the same)

I'm at about 9k now and it could use changing.
  7. kubcat

Oddometer:
    you can have my slightly used one - I have no need for it ever again (nor should you, once the required upgrades to your airbox are completed).:jack
    braaap! likes this.
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    What upgrades would those be? Like Rott intake and such? I'm more of a stock guy...
  9. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Well you'll have to do something to seal up the area where the plastic box and the filter meet. The OEM wedge design causes the filter frame to warp, creating large air gaps that allow dust to flow directly into the engine. Some have used liberal amounts of grease to fill those voids, and upgraded filter media as well, but most who adopt a fix use one of the AM airbox mods. The easiest and cheapest IMO is the Rotty power plate prefilter. If you are a stock guy that's the route I would recommend. That will seal out the dust, and allow you to significantly extend the useful life of the OEM paper filters.
    https://www.rottweilerperformance.c...-790-890-adventure-power-plate-elite-edition/

The best answer is the complete Rotty airbox replacement, but its much more dinero and backordered about 8-10 weeks.
    https://www.rottweilerperformance.com/pro-edition-full-intake-system-790-890-adventure-all-black/
  10. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option: https://www.guglatech.com/en/prodotto/ktm-790-890-adventure-r-air-filter/

They are offering a bundled fuel tank filter sock and air filter currently.
  11. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Personally I would strongly recommend that you use the money the guglemonster will charge you towards a solution to the actual problem. For similar money get the Rottweiler power plate. If you buy the guglatech filter you still have not solved the defective sealing design.
    jojojones, BHoward, MeefZah and 2 others like this.
  12. push24

push24 "Ducky" Rider

Oddometer:
    On the TET in France

864C4F16-8669-4330-B663-23776F586FB9.gif

EDB5C236-0782-48F2-A2A7-CA00BA67A0CA.gif

CCE72AB8-CCD7-475A-BCA0-104739C652C5.jpg
  13. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Took my new 890 R for a shakedown ride. Less than a mile from the house on my return and the low oil pressure warning lit up. Appears to have adequate oil level, so back to the dealer it went. Not the start I was looking for. Tough to feel good when you have this happen at 80 miles on the odometer. Wish me luck…
  14. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder about the sensor for this... a few times that has lit up on mine for a split second on start up, but usally goes away immediately.
  15. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTMs... I have always wanted to own a new one but they have a lot of new bike problems and the dealers are limited in so many areas. Good luck... lets hope it is a simple quick fix and the only one.
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was unaware of this issue...? I researched the machine pretty well before buying and never found info about this. I know the first run of 1090s (maybe 1190s, I can't recall) had some filter bypass issues but I guess I figured KTM's beta testers (all those 1090 buyers) helped the mothership sort out any filtration issues with the 790 / 890. I'll look into it.
  17. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have to disagree with you here. I have had their filter on my 790 did the MA BDR trailing a 701 eating all the dust the filter preformed flawlessly (if you want i can show pics of how dusty the bike was) I also decide once to play submarine with the bike while doing single tracks in sand and some water got in to the box but none of the dust or sand did.
    I am not a fanboy of any company just stating a fact. it does not enhance breathability like the Rottweiler does but it keeps the engine clean
    brianbrannon likes this.
  18. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I tried letting it sit to reset, but it kept coming back on no matter what I did.
  19. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Consider yourself lucky. Don't assume because you were successful at getting a good seal in the past that you will always get one. Each filter frame is slightly different, and the wedge design is still problematic and has a high liklihood of warping in the future, allowing the dust bypass to occur. Given the posted pics I've seen, and my personal experience working with the box to make it fit tightly, I firmly believe it is a flawed design, and it is a matter of WHEN it will suck dust, not IF. The sad fact of the matter is, most riders won't check that fit, and will just ride blissfully ignorant of whether the filter is letting dust in or not. Some of those riders might find out at 12000 miles they have poor compression and the motor needs a ring job and not just a valve adjustment. If you are reading this thread, and are aware of how many others share my viewpoint, why chance it? Its really no different than saying the OEM skidplate is good enough because you haven't damaged it yet. If you ride it as intended, it is a matter of WHEN you will damage the plate/engine, not IF. But its your money - you do you.
    dirtymartini likes this.
  20. eRdd

eRdd Why come you got no tattoo?

Oddometer:
    Totall
    Totally normal on every engine. When you start the engine there is zero system pressure; it takes a split second to build.
    I suspect most other vehicles ignore the low oil pressure sensor for a few seconds after startup thus preventing the low pressure warning from illuminating.