2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i guess i am and thinking about it tend to agree about the design flaw, I do check the fit every time and it does take me a few times to get it right . the do recommend that you grease the rubber frame of the filter to insure a seal but i guess it can still get through the wedge
    kubcat likes this.
  2. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I was careful, using lots of grease, and still got caught out. As soon as I found dust past the filter I ordered a Rottweiler airbox and havn't looked back..

for ref it was enough of a problem that my inlet shims needed adjusting.
  3. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    The Gugglatech filter isn't soft and pliable like the stock filter. It seals fine
  4. MtnRoamer

MtnRoamer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience running SRT tubes on the street? I have a long ride coming up that will involve a few thousand street miles and these seem to be all the local KTM dealer is stocking. I have not heard of them and I am a bit hesitant to trust a brand I am not familiar with for a few thousand high speed street miles. Worst case I can swap the tires and keep running the tubes the bike came with, but I typically prefer to swap them out with the tires.
  5. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience with the air filters is as follows:

1. Standard paper filter seals fine, the sealing face is made of a soft rubber. Never had any dust pass through.

2. Power parts foam filter did not seal and was recalled. I don't know if they have changed the design of the filter yet, I never bothered taking it back and its in a box with the Uni-filter. Had the filter installed for a few months before KTM SA recalled them. Did find some dust passing but since I greased the seal before installing and inspected frequently it doesn't appear to have been much.

3. Uni-filter had the same issue as the power parts one, I'm still waiting for a reply from them regarding their defective filter. The saving grace with this set up was the snorkel filters caught the dust before it could get to the airbox. Pretty much what the Rotti power plate does.

One of our local guys cut up a filter box to investigate the cause and found that apart from the rubber on the aftermarket filters being to hard the corners of the sealing face have a different radius to the standard paper filter. I believe the wedge only caused the airbox to deform when I used the power parts and Uni-filter filters with the harder rubber seals.

I ended up running the standard filter with the Uni-filter snorkel filters with no dust passing (checked after every dusty ride) until I replaced the air box with the Rotti one.
    Now I have piece of mind that it works as intended and I can carry a spare for quick change if need be. It is an expensive way to go though especially when you consider that the ease of changing the filter was one of the selling points of the 790 adventure.

What ever filter you decide to use, inspect frequently and install carefully.
    MeefZah likes this.
  6. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:

I ordered the prefilter. I don't really need (or want to wait 10 weeks for) the airbox replacement. Thanks for the info.

I still need the air filter from my original post though, LOL!
    kubcat likes this.
  7. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TwinAir has very little filter surface area. IMHO a flat foam filter sized to the small overall dimensions of the OEM is the worst filter design offered for the 790. Heck, my riding lawn mower has a bigger filter.

The OEM filter despite the small over all dimensions probably has 4x (or more) filter surface area due to the pleating. Slap a fairly open easy to get to pre-filter in front of it and call it a day, or go for an airbox replacement that offers a much larger foam filter.
    comradecasey and jojojones like this.
  9. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the only question how much water can get in if you get stuck in water ,anyone had that experience and can share
  10. Safariaddict

Safariaddict Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in a slightly used 890 Rally

upload_2021-7-29_9-3-28.jpeg
    ErGuss likes this.
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dibs on the air filter!!! :lol3
    ErGuss, alonad, Tjf1967 and 1 other person like this.
  12. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess going to the aluminum steering stem on 890 wasn't a good idea :-) gotta be a good story here
    yikes
  13. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    just to close the loop in the event someone has a similar issue:

Dealer says oil pressure was fine, but they found a lot of assembly lube on the oil filter. They changed the oil, rode it for 40 miles, dumped the oil and cleaned the filters again and refilled with new oil. They report that the issue is resolved. I’m happy with the way it’s been handled, and the responsiveness of the dealership. If you’re in or around Boise, I’d recommend Carl’s Cycles.
    ErGuss and MtnRoamer like this.
  14. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, WTH happenef?
  15. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:

Disregard, I found the Rottweiler option.
  16. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. That must have been a gnarly hit. The aluminum steering stem may be weak point by the looks of it however if it had a steel stem it may have just destroyed the forks instead. Either way, that's a tough bit of luck. :(
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

Jesus...

But the imagery that sprang to mind was the hobbled rider limping off, something dark and mysterious tucked under an arm muttering .. 'ain't nobody taken ma alien vajaja...'.
  19. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh I agree, I doubt there is any issues with that alum stem-- nothing could take two kangaroos. And you are right, it might have been worse with steel stem
  20. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fully agree with the surface area theory although I believe the pleated filter will give far more than 4 x the surface area.
    A pre-filter will also reduce the surface area even more than the TwinAir filter, I'm also aware that you can carry a spare pre-filter but the same applies to the TwinAir one.