2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... could be a good excuse to cash in on some 890 insurance to pick up a 2022 990.
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presuming his insurance isn’t third party only or third party fire and theft.
  3. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I am picking up my new 890 Adv R later today, I am excited but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad nervous about the KTM gremlins lol. Is there anything I should look for in regards to common assembly errors or things that might be out of place upon delivery?
  4. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    From my review of this thread prior to buying mine it seemed like if a problem arose it was within the first few hundred miles. I think once you make it past that, you're good!

I had some rough starts and stalling early on but that went away by break in oil change. A few guys reported tires not sealing at the spoke strip. Some reports of the display going dark. Oh, one thing to check is the chain slack. I think almost everyone including me has had it too tight from the factory. There's also a clamp on the exhaust that can catch the rear brake hose under certain crazy rear suspension compression. The fix is to flip it around. There's an image of that with the KTM documentation in the thread about recalls. Some guys also had defective lights, check that the rear brake isn't engaging the switch all the time and sticking the light on.

And apparently there are concerns with the airbox flexing and allowing unfiltered air into the intake. I examined my intake after learning of this, and it was clean (9k miles). You can buy a prefilter kit if that concerns you (I did). Info on that is just a page or so back.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a few things listed on this page under Early Faults that probably still apply to the 890 as well. One thing I made sure of was to put threadlocker on the linkage bolts before I left the dealer. Probably still sound advice.
    https://790adventure.net/
    jojojones and tex68w like this.
  6. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a right side stock plastic fuel tank protector they would be willing to part with?
  7. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Just got her home. All stock at the moment with the Tech Pack. Lots of Rottweiler Performance and Camel ADV farkles on the way.

[​IMG]
    DCGH, NextAdventre, isjustus4 and 4 others like this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some nice goodies with that virtually new bike! I think you lucked out nicely.

Enjoy the hell out of it.

EDIT: How in tarnation? This was meant for another thread, sorry for any confusion. I was referring to the almost new bike with all the mods recently bought by an inmate with 'KTM fever'. I'll just c/p it in that thread now ..

:muutt
    ErGuss and tex68w like this.
  9. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Anyone experienced the headlight staying on after switching the bike off? Mine does it very intermittently. Glad they’re LED. I parked it the garage once snd went to dinner not noticing it wss on. After a couple of hours the battery was still good. I’ve sprayed dielectric grease in the switch several times but it still does it. Don’t know if it’s in the switch or the computer. Cycling the switch a couple of times clears it but an annoying problem.
  10. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike will do that when I kill the engine while I'm still rolling.
    EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. eRdd

eRdd Why come you got no tattoo?

Oddometer:
    Are you turning it off with the key or the kill switch?
  12. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Do you have anything in the charging port or anything with a battery hard wired to charge? The headlight switch talks to the headlight controller through the instrument cluster so probably not a switch issue
  13. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Nothing in any accessory port or hard wired in. Figuring switch wasn’t likely since everything else turns off. Some inconsistencies in signals to the ECU I assume.
  14. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Mine does the same thing. If you hit the kill switch with the key on and still rolling, the headlight stays on. KTM says it’s a safety feature in the event you break down.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the 11th digit from the left is M its made in Mattighofen Austria..
  16. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    EDIT, 9-16-21, refer to https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021...enture-r-rally.1470293/page-126#post-43005271 for updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, first chink in the armor today.

Got up at 0530 to ride slab 90 miles to meet some dudes, to then ride slab 90 more miles to do some trails in the Allegheny National Forest.

Turn key, nothing. Dead. Jiggle the key, dash comes to life. Hit starter switch. Nothing. Cycle key a few times, hit starter switch a few more times, starts. I ride to meet the other guys, shut it off, won't restart. No dash, no lights, nothing. Cycle the key a bunch of times and then it comes to life and starts. Next stop, won't start. Jiggle jiggle jiggle then it starts but dash displays:

[​IMG]

I hit the 'back' button and it clears and runs fine. For the rest of the day it starts and runs perfectly on restart every time I shut it off.

Then, middle of the trail network of ANF on a one way trail, shut it down to evaluate a hill climb. Go to restart it and:

[​IMG]

And it was dead right there. Nothing. Dash worked, all electrical stuff worked, but wouldn't turn over / wouldn't start. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, tried the other key, nothing. FInally began grabbing exposed wires on the left side of the steering stem and violently shaking them and it started.

This is the wiring that got it running:

20210801_100648.jpg

Rode it home at that point since I had lost confidence in it and didn't want to get stranded in a different state on a one way trail system. Had to stop for gas once and it wouldn't start again and displayed the above "Immobi Antenna Fail", jiggled the wiring and it started.

Spent the 3 hour slab ride home debating about getting it fixed under warranty and having 0 confidence in the machine from this point forth, or selling it / trading it in... but on what? I don't really want anything but this machine, damn it! I guess I'll get it fixed under warranty and buy a beater for the rest of the season since I doubt the dealer is gonna get this handled in a timely fashion...

It was a good ride until it wasn't though...

IMG_1995.JPG
    JimmyMojave and ErGuss like this.
  17. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I read that it is fairly common that there are some tight wires between key switch/headlight assembly and frame which can cause this issue. Should be easy repair under warranty and dealer can ensure loom is not tight afterwards by checking loom routing, and where/how it is all secured with zip ties.
    MeefZah likes this.
  18. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy fix then doesn't happen again
    MeefZah likes this.
  19. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your front tyre pressure - my 1290 SAR was dangerously over-inflated. They obviously couldn't even be bothered to check the reported figures on the dash let alone with an accurate gauge.
    tex68w likes this.
  20. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I got it home yesterday, but I haven’t had time to look it over let alone ride and I’m departing for work for five weeks come Monday. I guess I’ll have plenty of time to order farkles for it now lol.