2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. You can “fix” it by turning the bike on (key only) and then off again.
  2. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Mine isn’t a rolling kill switch issue. It’s an ignition key off issue. And, as stated, cycling the key a few times does clear the issue it’s just annoying and I have to pay attention when turning the bike off in bright sunlight to make sure the headlight isn’t still on. I don’t know if the lights have a separate contact from the engine shutoff within the ignition switch. I assume not which would isolate the issue to the ECU. At 9k major service I’ll have the dealer check with KTM. Intermittent electrical issues are difficult to solve.

I have an old GS that would die when riding then gain electricity again either on its own or after cycling the switch. Traced the problem down to the wafer contacts at the base of the ignition. Gave me fits for about a year.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  3. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I took her out for her maiden voyage this morning before the heat turned on here in south Texas. FML, Cruise Control is amazing lol. I can't wait to get this break-in period out of the way so that I can see what she's really capable of but initially I am extremely impressed and couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

[​IMG]
  4. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    This guy is in a local FB group that i'm in. He posts a lot and I generally don't watch too much, as I find him tiring, but again to his credit, he gets out a lot. Anyway, he had the same issue.

Here's his video and I think the resolution is in there. It may ne helpful to you.

5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I at least feel smarter than that guy, I got it running and self extricated.

I fast forwarded through almost all of that. Hard to watch. Did I understand correctly that he named his drone? Oliver if I caught that? Dafuq?????
    BrockEvan likes this.
  6. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about this. Did you get to run the “Marionville bike trail” at all? If so how did it do?
  7. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yes. We as a group decided not to do the rock garden since we were all on big bikes, and the 890 quit on me just before we pulled out ahead of the rock garden. Other than the electrical it did great. Obviously it's too big a bike for me when guys on 2 smokers are passing me... but it did the work without complaint. Photos here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventure-in-ohio.28732/page-4371#post-42754348
    jojojones likes this.
  8. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I attempted that on a wee with e07s and it was brutal. I need to get way better before I bring better hardware back there. thanks for the link.
    MeefZah likes this.
  9. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow....that guy takes himself very serious for someone who knows very little...kinda surprised he made it to the age he is?....

nice mask while on camera by himself hahahaha
    MeefZah, BrockEvan and EvilSteve like this.
  10. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    That's his desert emergency headgear
    BrockEvan, Nowwhat and tex68w like this.
  11. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a used 890 adv R with a 1000 miles on it. Love the bike and I have put 200 miles on it so far. Love it however it appears the gas guage isn’t working. I put 105 miles on it and it never moved from the full mark. It started cutting out like it was running out of gas. I managed to get to a gas station and top off and that solved the problem. Is this a common problem?
  12. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of the fuel sender units have gone bad, also make sure that both petcocks on either side of the tank are open.
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Gauge only starts to trigger after 1/2 tank is used... because of the weird shape. After half a tank the range also shows actual range and not "> xxx miles ".
  14. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue with mine from new, one petcock was closed from the factory and the fuel pump was toast..dealer replaced the fuel pump all good now!
  15. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same on my 2021 1290 SAR - it reads 180 miles range from full for ages and then starts counting down from about half a tank(s!).
  16. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys I was thinking about the petcock on the way home.
  17. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    EBC sintered pads really helped the brake feel and pressure required.

@ValpoFz mine read 3 bars and ran out of gas on the first ride from a sticking gas guage. Took it out and lubed/shook it loose and been fine for 4k miles now
    ErGuss likes this.
  18. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I mean I feel like it's good sense to rely on odometer not gas gauge on any motorcycle... I get to 220 I start looking for gas. I get to 250 I start looking for gas HARD!
    Nowwhat likes this.
  19. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked the pet cold and one wasn’t fully open. So I opened it all the way, filled the tank up and will keep an eye on it. How hard is it to pull the sending unit?
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prospective 890 Adventure buyer. Need some baseline intel.

I am a shorty and not some CrossFit hulk. 62 geezer, 28" inseam, 160 lb. Sold my big twin ( F800GS ) and ride a KTM 690 Enduro R. Considering a KTM 890 Adventure as my adventure touring bike for longer trips. Some gravel and fire roads. Looking for lightest twin, with low center of gravity, and hopefully homerun model year for aftermarket parts.

- I love the R version looks , but feel more planted on the Standard version. Should I go for the shorter standard version? I know I forgo suspension travel.

- Is this the main thread for KTM 890 Adventure / R?

- Any known first year model issues like the previous KTM 790 Adventure / R?

- Do I need a luggage rack for Mosko Moto 40 L or Giant Loop Siskiyou soft bags?

- Is the stock S version windshield adequate for long trips on tarmac?

- Is the stock S version LED light adequate for night riding?

- Is the muffler heavy and hot like the KTM 690 Enduro R? Which is popular aftermarket? I use Wings like everyone else on my 690.

I know some might argue my KTM 690 and future 890 S overlap too much. Like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.