2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I always forget about them. I've had him quote me out some 300's in the past and he always dropped those charges, I can't believe I didn't think about buying from them this time around. I got a nice discount so it's basically the same as no freight/prep in the end but I'll be sure to keep them in mind on the next bike.
    tft likes this.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my 890 has been at the dealer for ten days. I called today to check on it.

This is the same dealer whose service writer told me the 'no start' immobilizer failure was caused by the atmospheric difference between California (where it was bought) and Ohio (where it is now).

They've not looked at it yet. Grrr.

The service writer told me today that I do not have a 890, I have a 790. He knows this because he ran the VIN number and it shows a 790. Further, he informed me that KTM does not sell an 890 Adventure and the only 890 they sell is the Duke. Per him, the only two offerings in the adventure category are the 790 and the 1290.

So this thread can get closed down now because y'all a bunch of idiots, not even knowing what you got!!!!!

I do not forsee getting my issues taken care of by this particular dealer.

But... still hoping the actual tech turns out to know what's up....
    ErGuss likes this.
  3. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I would be looking for another dealer.....even if it meant a drive!
  4. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I would be picking my bike up asap if the service writer doesn't even know what current models exist in the line up. If he is that dumb then I fear for the integrity of everyone else that works there as well. Find another dealer and move on for good from those jokers.
    Kthursto, kubcat and ErGuss like this.
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well convenience won out. 5 miles vs 120 miles... I'm hoping the tech knows what's up. I'll give him a chance. Failing that, yes, I'll take it elsewhere.
    rsmith56 and ErGuss like this.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    The old tech knew what was going on, but when he found out how stupid his bosses were, he went to that other dealership, even though it increased his daily commute by 1.5 hours. Absolutely ZERO chance of competence at the local dealership. Lemme guess - they have 5 SxS in the showroom for every bike on the floor.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    There's a reason my 790 is at the KTM shop an hour and 45 minutes from my house and not the one 15-20 minutes away.
    JimmyMojave and kubcat like this.
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    My preferred shop is almost 3 hours drive away. Still my preferred shop. I do all of my own work except recalls. The only exception to that was the initial service at the local shop. I learned my lesson early.
    GF-kam and SoilSampleDave like this.
  9. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if your bike is your only transport as it might be for some, how would you get and yourself to and from the shop? Even just a couple of miles can be a pain, unless the shop loans you a bike, which some have done for me in the past.
  10. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to have lots of questions as I learn about my bike.
    How far are you guys getting on a tank of gas?
    I got 172 before running out.
    Thanks
    Ed
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check that both full taps are open. One is likely closed.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  12. kubcat

Oddometer:
    In Europe I know a lot of people rely on a bike as a primary mode of transport. Here in the states very few people use a bike as their only transport. It probably has to do with the longer relative distances we travel within the country, as well as the lower cost of fuel. Those that do only have one bike for transport are probably cash constrained and didn't just drop $15000 on a new KTM, but rather are riding a cheap old single like a KLR650 for the fuel mileage.
  13. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Easily getting 240 in moderate romping mode mixed tar/gravel/trail with no cat and Rotty intake and a 15T front sprocket.
    Offsome and ValpoFz like this.
  14. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well sounds like I have a issue somewhere … the gas gauge doesn’t ever move so that’s an issue as well
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    1/2 tank display
  16. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    I got some 20$ alixpress lightbar with 20$ amazon leds and some 400$ sargent seats. Bike is better every day, suspension loosend up and I fixed coolant leaks (at least for now). 2000 miles. Best bike ever in 24 years. Even better than 2006.5 950.
    Took me two hours to add amazon switch and some old relay wiring harness.
    This is my backroad, supermoto/commuter bike. Maybe I should get second for more dirty stuff while they have it

IMG_20210813_201245291.jpg
    tft likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice plastics. I really dig the flat orange rear panels. Is that stock, or did you buy the orange rears, and apply the 890 graphic?
  18. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    Stock 890, orange colors.
    It is my only commuter because driving car (forester 23mpg) to work cost about 20$ a day more plus another unpredictable +++hours of getting stuck in traffic. Gas+ toll on a bridge. 82 miles round trip. KLR wouldnt cut it for me, that thing cant go 80-100 mph and cant stop either.
    And few times per week I add some nice 50-100 miles add on back roads on the way home. Extra 50 miles cost as much as bridge crossing
    tex68w and TrailTrauma like this.
  19. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Its not your only commuter, its the one you prefer to use to save money on gas. what we were discussing was what to drive while the bike was at the dealer getting serviced. In your case, and probably everyone else in the US, you would just drive your other vehicle and pay for the extra fuel for a week or so.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So have you checked both left and right side fuels taps? Still sounds like the issue to me. Pump is in the left lobe, fuel sender is in the right lobe. If either or both taps at the bottom are closed you'll get roughly 2/3 of your total range before running the fuel pump dry and the fuel gauge will never budge.