2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice 690! On the 790/890 pair, the 790 weighs out ~20 lbs lighter then the 890 series in the listed wet weights. As for S or R, spend the money on the R, and get it lowered (ktm has a kit) to S suspension height.
    GF-kam likes this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recall seeing one published report claiming that kind of weight difference, however there have been a few published reviews since then that included weighing the bike and the figures they have come up with are very close to KTMs claimed wet weight which makes it almost identical as the real world wet weight of the 790 ADV-R. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that KTM either had to or opted to change how they calculate published weights between when the 790 was produced and the 890 came out. Which would explain the vast weight difference KTM lists in their specs.
  3. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 890 does have an extra balance shaft, and 20% was added to the crank, so there must be some weight increase, unless KTM removed the added weight in other areas. I guess we need a weigh-off between the 2.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bikes are about 2 lbs different...
  5. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks spend $800+ on the Akra to save 2 lbs...
  6. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Hahaha ....

Yeah.. the akra that comes as a power part isn't anything but a pretty face...
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was bummed when Akra went all euro 4/5 compliant. Now it's just another OEM can and when it comes to OEM cans KTM already makes the best ones so why bother.
    ErGuss and Nowwhat like this.
  8. Shodan2

Shodan2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows of a fix for the poor cold start performance? Seems to be the case when the bike is at merely 12-15C after a night. At ~22C which is typical temperature for the basement garage it's parked normally - no issues after the break-in period.
    I'm concerned because I'm planning on doing some travel on it, but if it's struggling to start at 12C it might not start at all at 5C, let alone below freezing point. At least not before draining the battery. At which point I'd be screwed...

A 2015 KTM-1190 I used to have before - started at -3C no problem. Ditto for my old 2009 Yamaha FZ6 street bike...
  9. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was riding in March here in Canada the temp was regularly below 0C and the bike started with no issue, not sure why you are having issues, mine start fine at any temp from 45C down to -5C (yes that was a cold ride to work :))
    ErGuss likes this.
  10. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked mind up on a very cold day. -8 Fahrenheit. I have no problems starting it no matter the temp.
  11. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of threads dedicated to this issue. Cold start problem 890 adventure | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    and this one for a 790 KTM 790 takes a few tries to start | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
  12. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunset chester_LI (2).jpg
    Tadpole, MaxFuel, Footy and 5 others like this.
  13. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anxious to know in depth what you think of that Sargeant seat. Do you like it in that configuration or should a guy smooth out the bump?
  14. Idahopilot

Idahopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely not true; tequila makes my wife’s clothes fall off. :imaposer
  15. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to work with a lady who said the same thing...
  16. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I am assuming that most of you running the Arrow Cat Delete/Mid-Pipe aren't running any kind of running/fueling/mapping?
    kubcat likes this.
  17. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not...seems to run fine
    kubcat and tex68w like this.
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my 890R been in the shop 29 days. They called today to basically tell me it needs a new wiring harness BUT KTM is having an issue replacing it under warranty because...

...there is an aftermarket skid plate and aftermarket "head support" on the bike.

The head support, according to the tech, is going to be the hurdle. KTM is claiming that it chafes wiring. No wiring is chafed or even touched by the support and I'd argue that if KTM built the stupid things robustly enough to handle the stuff they claim it was built to handle, the issue of headlights falling off wouldn't need to be fixed by the aftermarket.

We shall see how the fight goes!
    ErGuss, JimmyMojave, Bullseye and 2 others like this.
  19. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Well that just sucks......Hope it works out...this is one of those times you need the owner of the dealership to go to bat for ya....skid plate...sheesh....

Your post will probably get others to pull their head braces off before going to dealer for an electrical issue...sigh
    EvilSteve and MeefZah like this.
  20. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    MeefZah likes this.