2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I think that in general the dealerships in the good old USA must really suck.
    In my little backwater country we have dealerships that are solely KTM and I have never had a warranty issue, in fact they even replaced a radiator after I had a fall.
    Perhaps as Nowwhat says you need the dealer to go bat for you.
    MeefZah likes this.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm weirdly not too upset. It'll work out. I have another bike to ride. The extended warranty steps up if KTM refuses to cover the bike.

There's so much more bad shit going on in the world and this is pretty damn insignificant... hard to be upset about something so minor when people are without power in La x a month, fleeing fire in CA and hiding from murderers in Afg...

That said, I don't expect the dealer to help. The first question they asked was "did you buy it here?"; they seemed to lose interest when I said "no" (selling dealer is 3000 miles away; I bought it when we lived in California). They've had no communication with me that I didn't initiate until the call yesterday, and the service writer already made some crazy comments previously reported in this thread (atmospheric pressure differences caused the issue, KTM doesn't make an 890 only a 790, etc).
  3. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM is basically bottom of the barrel here in the USA. It's almost always joined up with several other brands and snow mobiles, jet skis, and boats.

They're typically morons, or honestly don't care.

These are the guys who can't get a job at car dealerships.
  4. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well now that you mention the change in atmospheric pressure it makes more sense, that plays havoc with wiring harnesses.:photog
    When did this 890 you speak of come out? :flush
    Hope you get sorted out soon and the harness is covered.
    DCGH and MeefZah like this.
  5. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiber KTM.jpg

Tiber dam last night.
    Tadpole likes this.
  6. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Legally they have to show that the aftermarket part caused the problem but they know nobody will actually get a lawyer to fight it
  7. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone changed seats? I have a bill mayer on my Tenere and have become spoiled. I did about a 6 hour ride and holy Batman my ass felt like I rode a century on my bicycle. Looking for some suggestions.
    tex68w likes this.
  8. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I removed the passenger pegs and basically lost 87lbs.
    kzeb, DCGH, TrailTrauma and 2 others like this.
  9. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol...
  10. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I personalized my bike today lol. It should be relevant for the Seinfeld fans out there.

[​IMG]
    tft, STLR, sclements68 and 2 others like this.
  11. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I thought I liked just about any sticker... Until now. :D
    TrailTrauma and BrockEvan like this.
  12. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I sent KTM NA a certified letter demanding reimbursement for full cost of bike and taxes and registration under California / Ohio lemon law this morning.

We'll see how that plays out.

I have some stuff in the garage that I'm not going to be using, and I'll pull a few things off the bike before they collect it; if and when that happens.

Currently available to members of the thread: Send me a PM if you want it and post up here to claim it so others don't have to send messages to me. ---- Edit, I'm on a trip through 9-14 and will return messages when I get back ----

*New KTM air filter, free (got it from another member on here who generously gave it to me so I will pass on the favor), I will even cover shipping to you as long as you legitimately are going to use this and aren't trying to resell it or just park it on a shelf for a year.

*New Rottweiler pre-filter kit, includes one of all the filters and two of the gray filter as well as the new-in-box filter housing that mounts above your airbox in place of the cover. $100 new, yours for $75 shipped conUS PP gift or Venmo only.

*890 S screen and bracket assembled. Swap the R shield for the S shield in 5 seconds with only one bolt. $100 shipped conUS

*black 790 front fender, too cheap to ship but local pickup in Mansfield Ohio or I can combine it with the windscreen... $15

*brand new Shinko 705 tires in stock sizes, unmounted. No shipping. $75 - pick up in Mansfield Ohio

Probably available at some point in the near future: Seat Concepts tall seat, brand fucking new. Bike puked while the seat was in transit to me; then I put it on the bike to try it out in the garage right before trailering the bike to the shop. Camel ADV skid plate. Camel Head brace (but beware, if you use these, KTM will try to claim that the warranty is void). Altrider tail rack.
  13. mikidymac

mikidymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is happening with your bike for it to be a lemon?
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    You can scroll up a few pages for my posts but basically the similar wiring harness issues others have reported also afflicted my bike with the no-start immobilizer. There's a few other safety issues (headlights shutting off while riding at night, for example), but the main issue is the machine not starting.

It's been at the shop for 40 days now, which is ten more than the 'lemon law' stipulation of 30 days repair time for a new vehicle.

KTM is making statements to the effect of "aftermarket skid plate caused wiring harness issue".

The shop shows no signs of fixing it and in fact instills zero confidence with some of the crazy things they've told me they think are causing the problems ("atmospheric changes" being one). Most recently the tech told me he was having a hard time getting the mileage off the bike to give to KTM because it had somehow switched to kilometers and he couldn't get it to go back to miles... the bike has 9500+/- miles on it in 4 months of riding and he didn't understand that this was possible so the display must be wrong...

I was toying with the idea of selling it once it was fixed anyway, but after KTM pulled the "we're not responsible for building a turd, you are responsible for buying a turd" gambit I think I'll just go this route and reset the scorecard to zero.

Sucks because I really like the bike... but I can already see that every issue I have from now on is going to be a battle with KTM and a local dealer that is clueless. I don't want to have to truck the bike 150 miles to the next dealer, lose 30 days, and do battle with the mothership every time something fails.
    comradecasey likes this.
  15. mikidymac

mikidymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I would be pushing for the lemon law also given all that. It really sounds like it is the dealer more than KTM since they are the ones that should be pushing for the warranty for you. Either way they have to prove it is the aftermarket parts causing the problem but sounds like your dealer couldn't care less about you or your bike.
    MeefZah likes this.
  16. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Did you request a replacement or a refund?
  17. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    PM sent about the Rottweiler Pre-Filter kit.
    MeefZah likes this.
  18. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Refund
  19. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    It's nice that Ohio has a lemon law for motorcycles too. Does it allow for recovery of attorney fees?
  20. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    It does. Here's the thing though... the bike is registered in CA,, as it was bought there and we just moved from there to Ohio 2 months ago. From looking at some other people's issues it appears the state where the vehicle is registered seems to be the 'lemon law' that applies. So I'll have to deal with a Ca lawyer remotely if it comes to that.