2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Save yourself the headache. Push it off a cliff, and call progressive.
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might get his money back from the ads, patreon and other e-begging platforms if he does that. It would be quicker too.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Its real simple. Dont ride a new 890. Dont get on it and wheelie it thru 3rd gear,dont jump it off waterbars.
    Dont play with it's 95HP. Or any of its electrical trickery that works great. Ride that old Honda and just grin.

(The 890 is an updated 790,not a whole new model) The 890R is SO much fun,it shouldnt be legal.
    Ferd likes this.
  4. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I took 10lbs off my 890R in about 1/2 hour. There's more to be done easily.
    Kaaden likes this.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Why would you buy such a thing if your so negative about the name and it's dealers?
  6. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean it was parked in front of his house and disappeared. Apparently the thief ran it off a cliff.
  7. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because I don't care about the dealerships or their repair shops/warranties.

I'm not complaining, nor am I upset about it... I just state things exactly how I see them.

There is a ktm dealer about ~5 miles from my house. The service manager is a great guy (supposedly), and was the track mechanic for Reese (Wacker Racing) when he raced superbikes... So what I'm getting at is, Reese would always say to me, "go see Jeremy, I'll tell him you're coming, he'll take care of you". So I'd race down there and feel like I was someone special because I'm going to get the red carpet service... Not even close. Every single one of them is content with the way KTM runs their organization.

So, I'm ok with that .. may not like it, but it is what it is. I leave my bike there with them and they tell me to give them a few days, and they'll fix the coolant leak.

A week goes by, and I made sure not to bother them, and trust they'll get back with me as soon as they can

Now it's starting to effect my plans, and I still haven't even gotten a call... So run down there and see what's going on, and tell them I'm taking my bike back regardless, because I needed it, and it wasn't a big issue.

So, while there, they tell me they took the whole thing apart and can't find any leak. So they just give up (essentially) and move onto the next task.

It wasn't even 2 minutes after getting my bike back from them, and it was leaking in their parking lot and the smell was easily identifiable. So rather then leaving right away, I turn around and show him myself. He says, come back next week and we'll look at it again".

So I did, and they told me the head was cracked, and I'd likely need a new engine. The whole time I'm telling them, it's likely just the thermostat housing or maybe a loose bolt... So they agreed eventually that it didn't appear to be cracked, and to keep an eye on it.

Those were my first two experiences... Not completely horrible, but in both cases you eventually get to the point where you can't wait to get out of there, and swear you'll never return.

So then one day, chipper I believe, stated he got the latest update, and his 3 start issue was essentially gone. I will say, here in Florida that three start thingy is really bad... Nearly 100 percent of the time, and sometimes taking 5 or more tries.

So I text Jeremy and ask him if I can get the latest update, and mention why I wanted it, hoping he'd confirm that it works... Or at the very least, inform him since it might be useful to him. Either way, they don't really care... I'm not even sure he listened to me.

Before leaving my bike there, I stated on serval occasions that if this update was going to screw up my free quick shifter, I didn't want anything to do with it. They confined it wouldn't affect that, so I asked them again, and made them repeat it to me that there was no chance my quick shifter would be removed.

So, like they always do, they call you at the last minute of the day on a Friday, and say you're all set. I said thanks and headed right over. I went to start my bike and it immediately stalled... Well so much for that.

As I'm pulling out, there's a left turn road that they've installed tons of those giant speed bumps/tables, to try and prevent all the people from racing through there... I actually like the new layout, and have on several occasions hit those tables going 80 mph, while passing every car on that road, straight down the centerline, front wheel almost never touching... So I immediately went into "fun mode" and started clicking through the gears trying to go even faster this time .. except it wouldn't. It felt like someone had welded my shifter to the frame. I even tried really hard before I realized that's what it feels like when you don't have QS+.

So basically, my 3rd visit now took much longer than I expected, and the update didn't fix my starting problem, and now they basically eliminated my quick shift, even though I asked them not to several times. I will be honest, I don't typically get upset easily, but I was heated when I got back to their shop. To the point where all sense of humor was gone, and I was trying to explain my situation to them in a way that they could comprehend (again, nobody cares or listens), and that they were going to put it back on immediately, and it was going to cost me nothing.

Well, they tell me just leave it and they'll see what they can do. No call, so at the end of the day, I go in to get my bike, and they said the computers were down, and were unable to get the KTM download.

This story hasn't even ended yet... So at this point they can see I'm losing my mind, and have a group discussion while they're standing outside ready to start the weekend, and tell me that the only way I can fight for it, would be to go through KTM. I looked at him and said, "no, you can pay for it yourself and figure out a way to get reimbursed later". I was so adamant when I was really mad that I swore I wouldn't accept anything less. I even questioned them on why they had such an unhappy customer, and how they interned on fixing it. Their response is always, "that's the way it works... You have to go through KTM, and in a couple days, they'll let you know if they said yes or no. If they said yes, then they'll likely follow that up with, "but inventory is currently backordered until November".

So, I looked him in the face and said "just do it now, and I'll pay for it". The last thing I wanted to do, and it just added to my poor experience. I did however, justify it to myself by accepting I had gotten it before for free, so if I wanted it, I should be expected to pay for it. A trial version I guess...

Every time I leave there, I swear I'll never go back .. and then ktm amounted the master cylinder spring recall... So I call Jeremy, any he doesn't know anything about it. I tell him exactly what it is, and ask him to order me the kit, and I'll bring it in once they get them. His response was, "we can't do anything unless the bike is here and left with them".

I'm like, "so you're telling me you're going to put my bike in storage, waiting for a dumb spring to arrive, that likely wouldn't fail anyways"

His response was yup, that's the only option.

So I called Daytona KTM, and he immediately knew what I was talking about, and said he would order one, and scheduled my appointment for 2 weeks ahead on a Saturday. Didn't even take 30 minutes.

So that's what I'm saying. They either don't care, aren't smart enough to recognize things could improve, or actually enjoy the KTM way.

I understand too... It's not just a KTM dealership, they've got Yamaha and Suzuki also, and boats, personal watercrafts, ATVs etc.

I just won't ever go to the one near my house again, unless it's just to look at something or pick up a part. I instead drive 100 miles (each way) to that cesspool of a city, also knows as Daytona Beach.

So... to answer your question, I like the products they sell, but have no use for the vendors.
    markgrolex, kzeb, EvilSteve and 3 others like this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That's only one shop though,right? I mean,to decide that's how KTM does it and doesnt give a shit. KTM does have a contact phone number to try,In CA and in Ohio.

My R1150R I bought new in 03 ended up at shop for a month and half due to electrics. They couldnt fix it,I had to call them they never called me.
    And they have a great reputation and still do. Turned out I wasnt a BMW guy. After a few more debacles with the bike it went up for sale.
    Luckily under warranty while I had it.

Ive had a lot of KTM's,mostly 2 strokes. I'm hoping I'm lucky with the new 890R I picked up.
  9. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    It's not just one worthless KTM shop. Rare to find a good one in the USA
    markgrolex likes this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    How many have you dealt with on a regular basis?
  11. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That's quite a few for one guy. My KTM dirtbikes I always just ordered parts and did my own work,had KTM's since 1979.

There's 463 KTM dealers in North America,I bet some are good.
    Some guys online tend to leave some things out about their dealings with a dealership.

Some customers start their own battles. Not you I'm not saying you do this.
    If a shop's busy which most all are these days,the problem boys get shuffled to the back of the line.
    Some people dont even have a KTM but boy do they make a stink about how shitty the bikes are.

I also have a couple friends who are long time mechanics,if I cant do it myself I order the parts in and have one of them come over and do work.
  13. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    So you don't even actually go to the KTM dealer for work but still want to make your opinion heard about how good they are?
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I must have missed a memo,was I supposed to ask you first before I comment?
    Is it OK? Honestly I didnt know.
  15. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have 5 KTM's, and I have 6 KTM dealers within a 1 hour drive, 3 within 20 minutes. My newer and under warranty KTM bikes will go back to a dealer for scheduled servicing and any warranty or recall work. My older models I service and repair myself or use an independent mechanic with the requisite skills and experience and without the overheads, unless the work requires access to the special computer hookup thing. I do work on my new bikes myself also in terms of accessories, minor repairs and any extra non-scheduled servicing etc.

The quality of the service and advice I get at the workshops can vary between the local dealerships, but I generally find it quite good, and there are certainly better mechanics or workshop supervisors at some dealerships..
    KTM Australia I find excellent in their support and response to customers whenever I have needed it.

I also have a Harley Davidson, service and response from them is dogs*t by comparison, but they do have a lot of clothing and non performance enhancing accessories available.
  16. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Honestly you don't see the hypocrisy of you complaining about people without KTMs talking about KTMs while you complain about KTM dealers that you don't go to?

The shit KTM service seems to be only North America
  17. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had issues with the fuel pump on my 890 when I first had it, I have to say that the dealership I bought the bike from was more than helpful to the point of taking a fuel pump off a showroom bike to enable me to get home even though it was late on a Saturday and they had spent most of the day trying to sort the issue..my point not all KTM dealers are alike I guess.
  18. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro 11-0080 fork bleeders do not fit the 890 adv. Have a day
  19. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And you can see from feedback here that there are a bunch. I also blame KTM USA/ corp-- they seem to foster this attitude of the dealer needing to call in for anything.
    Empower your dealers to do the right thing.
    Part of my job in the auto industry is customer service and trust me lots of car dealers suck but bike dealers are worse.
    The OEM takes some responsibility in training , empowerment and how to handle things
    Many KTM dealers and others-- are good at telling you what they CANT do for you-- without even listing to the story
    Hey, I bought a new KTM in March, my 6th one at least and didnt even get a survey from KTM asking how is your bike. Has ANYone else got a survey on a recent KTM purchase?
    Seriously- they make some great bikes but could really up there game on support, customer service and handling. I called their customer service line a few times -they take a voice mail and dont call back.
    My new triumph got a thank you, a survey and 6 months later how is it survey
  20. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's part of the reason I just went right for the lemon law even though I'm kind of on the thin edge of righteousness doing it. These mfg need to step up their game and the only way to make them do it is to hit them in the bottom line. Imagine if everyone who had a defect rendering a new bike unusable for 30 days did the same instead of accepting it as par for the brand.... KTM would pull their shit together and make dealers do the same.