2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. amschnellsten

amschnellsten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be the absolute oddball here but I absolutely love my Dealer. I've had some issues and recalls mainly with TFT screens, I am on my 5th one lol and they have always taken care of me in an professional and super friendly manner. I'd call them up tell them my screen went foggy again and would order me up a screen no questions asked. I also had an early bike that the QS was turned on and later got deleted by an update. Again my dealer gave me "coupon" for the software upgrade and enabled QS and cruise later on for free. The last time I went 40 miles up the highway to visit my buddies for the brake recall I was not disappointed again. My appointment was @noon on a tremendously stormy Saturday and after being hammered by weather for 40 minutes I made it in time. They laughed when I arrived and thought that I wasn't coming. They knew that I would stroll through the cornfields and make my way for a fine meal at Wendy's while waiting for my service to be finished. Since it was stormy and they sell everything under the Sun, they gave me the keys to a UTV that I could barrel through the fields to get to lunch in style.
  2. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a survey after delivery, in March this year
  3. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    No survey for me, in fact after I bought my KTM the dealer wouldn't even talk to me. When I was standing in the door way of the shop I didn't even get a hello. This was a KTM dealer in Spain recommended by an inmate on here.

The service department were better though. Was joking with one of the techs about his BMW, until my KTM had to go into the shop for immobiliser antenna issue, then I was back two days later after bolt from the top right triple had fallen out on the trails.
  4. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Most states don't have lemon laws for motorcycles so it's harder. If you haven't yet get a lawyer or KTM will ignore you. Lemon law lawyers work on contingency
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not. I'm just following the requirements set out in the lemon law guidleines published by the Attorney General for Ohio, which start with sending a certified letter to the manufacturer demanding refund. If they fail to follow through then I will contact an attorney.

I'm not aggressively pursuing this, it's not like I "need" the money back, it's more of a casual "let's see how this works and where it goes" sort of approach. I'm not even mad, I still love the bike. I just wish it ran; or failing that, wish it'd get fixed in 2 days like some of these people are saying it took for their harness to get replaced.
  6. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both of my KTM dealers are pleasant and effective. Not casting dispersion but the way you are treated and how well they diagnose your problem often has more to do with your personal attitude, and your handle on the English language in the USA. Something some folks don't ever figure out. Pretty much the same goes for how good of treatment and how accurate the diagnosis goes in a medical clinic. I am always amazed how absolutely rude people can be in restaurants, ERs, clinics, dealerships, etc and then they are surprised they do not get red carpet service. However....I am certain that does not pertain to any of the present company.:D
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  7. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    If you bought and registered it in California then the Ohio laws don't apply
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I actually think it may be state of registration, not state of purchase, but that's not really important. Both states are substantially similar except CA gives an extra 6,000 miles in the first year (18k v 12k). Either was the first step is certified letter to mfg. Although I did send it to KTM NA- east, not KTM NA-west, so.... dunno....
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    It sure as fuck don't apply to me. I'm super gregarious in person and PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Foot dragger and sclements68 like this.
  10. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Anybody that doesn't like me is a flaming asshole!:photog
    sclements68 likes this.
  11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Alright, here's a lemon law update for you all:

First off, if you want to get their attention, send a certified letter demanding a lemon law refund. KTM NA called me today in response to that letter, and I had a pleasant, if not 'WTF???' conversation with the representative.

As per the representative, they determined that the after market head brace (in my case, a Camel ADV one) did in fact cause the wiring issue that resulted in a "no start" condition. The rep stated that the head brace "squeezes" the headlight assembly and chafes wires internal to the assembly.

The machine will need an entirely new wiring harness as a result.

Because of the head brace, they were refusing to take the bike back under lemon law / refusing to refund purchase price / refusing to cover repair under warranty.

However, as a "goodwill gesture", they were willing to do the repair free (which IMO is tantamount to a warranty repair, but whatever). They have to source a new wiring harness which is backordered, then get it to the dealer, then get it installed. As per the representative, they will be removing the head brace at the time of installation of the new harness. ETA is about 2 weeks to get the work done.

I disputed the head brace being the cause; but I was talking out my ass because, in fairness, I don't really know that it isn't. I don't exactly know what's inside the headlight assembly that could be affected by the head brace as I've never been in there. My instincts and research on here are telling me it's not the cause, but why get pissed and argue over something like that when I can't stand behind my argument?

I accepted the offer and will collect the 890R once it's done. At that point, I really don't know how I'm going to proceed. I do love the bike. I suppose I can keep it and ride it for a while to become more confident in its reliability... and always sell it later if I decide to go that route.

I asked the rep about future warranty claims and he indicated it would be a case by case basis; obviously, if the head brace gets reinstalled and a similar failure occurs then it's gonna be a fight to get a repair covered.

I sent an email summarizing the above to Camel ADV so he can be aware of the situation.

Edit 1, I don't think I ever fully detailed the different electrical failures. There were three distinct issues which replicated themselves regularly, and got worse with age. The first was the totally dead electrical when the key was turned and you had to jiggle the ignition to get the electrical to power on. The second was the immobilizer failure issues (2 different codes) resulting in a no-start. The third was a systematic flickering of the headlight, most obvious (obviously!) when riding at night. I list these here also to assist in future searches of this thread for these sort of issues.

Edit 2, here's the posts in order describing the situation in case someone is trying to access info in a later search. I also will put the link for this post in the very first post I made with the issues starting back in July 2021.

ErGuss, tft, STLR and 1 other person like this.
  12. mikidymac

mikidymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really glad that this is getting resolved for you.

I think the lesson here is that if you are taking your bike in for any warranty work, make sure you remove any aftermarket parts that could be used to deny any warranty claim. As we all know the dealer and manufacturer will do everything in their power to deny warranty claims.

Now, legally here in the USA they would be required to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure to deny a warranty claim per the Magnuson Moss Warranty act but in reality it will be on your dime to prove that it didn't cause the issue. So it is just easier to not give them any ammunition in the first place.
    MeefZah likes this.
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I'm like 87% in the camp of "no way the head brace could cause this" but as I said I'm not so sure that I can argue the finer points of how the brace couldn't cause this. To that end, even though others have similar wiring issues and don't have the head brace, I would suggest caution on installing that product. And, as you said, remove it before the machine goes in for service or warranty work to lessen the chances of an issue. I do not plan on reusing it, personally.
    ErGuss and Foot dragger like this.
  14. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So while mine is not a 890 I had a similar problem. Mine is a 2019 790 and had an immobilizer failure at around 1k miles that all electronics worked by wouldn’t crank. This was a month after my dealer installed my cruise. I was lucky it failed at home. The dealer order a new ignition tumbler, keys, and fuel cap. Bike worked flawlessly after this till 7k miles. I was taking it for a ride and it died as I was pulling away from the garage. Odd but restarted immediately. 200 ft later dies again. I start playing with wires and find under the ignition a wire is chafing. Sure enough grab the wire and it would kill all power on the bike. Right now it is scheduled for an appointment on 9/20 which took almost a month to get that appointment and have to drive 5 hours round trip to get it there. Here is a picture of the wire, looks like when it was replaced the dealer routed it incorrectly. IMG_3683.jpg
    ErGuss likes this.
  15. arthrodoc

arthrodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cut it open.
    cut the damaged wire.
    crimp on butt connector with heat shrink.
    New big heat shrink around the part you cut open. Reroute ..

5 minutes?

Maybe longer if you have to pull out the harness, but may not be necessary.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  16. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warranty law in the US requires manufacturers demonstrate that the aftermarket part was directly responsible for the failure in order to decline the warranty claim. In this case, I imagine a picture of a worn harness in particular where the head brace was located would probably suffice I would think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
  17. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was really conflicted about this and if I was in the middle of a ride I probably would have done it. Me being stubborn and thinking this wasn't something I caused I shouldn't have to fix it, I also didn't want to give KTM a reason to deny a claim to me later on. Mine is an S and I still have another 6 months or so of warranty. I don't have a headlight brace on mine so I shouldn't run into the same problem as the OP. I still have my wr250r so I'm still riding. This situation has basically only taught me not to trust my local dealers, I hope the place I'm going is better.
  18. mikidymac

mikidymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is 100% true, but like I said above it becomes your burden of proof.

You have to decide to fight the manufacturer and pay for the fight, they can deny, deny, deny until you decide to hire a lawyer on your dime to fight them. It is better to not give them any reason to deny your warranty in the first place by removing any accessories before they even see the bike. It is wrong and sucks but it is the game the dealers and manufacturers play.
  19. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found my fuel/ running out of gas issue. The fuel line that connects the two fuel tanks that runs across the front of the bike was pinched closed by the skid plate. It would appear when they did the 600 mile service they didn’t watch the fuel line routing when they re installed the skid plate.
    ErGuss likes this.
  20. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What’s the best way to connect a heated liner to a switched power supply? I tried locking at the manual and it looks like Acc 1 or 2 under the seat? I usually have a non switched power supply for a usb so I can charge my headset at night, any suggestions? I used a Eastern Beaver PC8 on my Tenere. Is there something like that? Does KTM use a can Bis like BMW?
    Thanks
    Ed