2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Fay Meyers dealership is terrible. Contact a consumer protection lawyer.
    Ferd likes this.
  2. mikidymac

mikidymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like in Colorado their lemon law does not apply to motorcycles. As much as it sucks traveling it really sounds like you need to...talk to the shop owner/GM not just the service manager, find a new dealer, and keep hounding KTM direct or all three.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry about all the issues on new bike. 2021 I assume. Certainly sounds like big part of issue is squarely with dealership. Makes me wonder could this be what happens when cargo sits on the seas for months waiting??

As I posted earlier somewhere, I am willing to travel 7 hours to my trusted KTM dealer. The one in Asheville, NC.
  4. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes! Dealership issues all the way. There aren't any master clips on the OEM chain, they are "endless". My bike had a loose steering head bearing as well, but it was taken care of without issue or cost while the bike was in having heated grips installed. I'd definitley run your experiences up the flagpole to the ownership of the dealership. If they don't make things right, take it to someone else. KTM pays them to do warranty repairs, so it's not asking anyone to work for free. Make sure you tell the new dealer this is your 3rd KTM. They should treat you like they want you to buy your 4th from them.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  5. Brage

Brage Mechanic

Oddometer:
    As said yourself, theres been no hassle with KTM regarding those claims, for sure you been unlucky. But seems to me like it is the dealer, that isn`t realy up to the task. or?

For sure its not the bike, neither KTM that is bad in this case.

Kindly regards Brage
  6. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know of 2 other newer KTM’s both smaller ones that had Crome flaking issues on their forks. I think they were 390 Dukes .
  7. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    This is gonna have me looking for flaking fork tubes and front end movement tomorrow mornings ride lol. Sorry to hear about your issues.
  8. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding KTM dealers - I have dealt with KRW Cycles near Dayton Ohio for 40 years and can recommend them highly. They know KTMs inside and out and are always willing to tell you the truth about any model’s shortcomings. I drive 4hours round trip for their expertise and my peace of mind whenever one of my bikes needs service.
    Brage, brianbrannon and MeefZah like this.
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    No doubt they are fun in Rally mode,even in street mode 65mph wheelies are easy on the good back roads around here.
    The ones with jumps. This is the funnest bike Ive bought in a long long time. Got about 2500 miles on it and it just makes me laugh.
    And yeah its really fun on dirt and gravel,but on a tight paved backroad its also an absolute blast. DSCF5808.JPG
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aren't you glad you didn't buy the T7????

I like to think it was me who convinced you.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    I know I am and I bought the 890 because I got tired of waiting for a T7 to come available. I was warned by a few buddies with 790's that I would be over the T7 in short order and the 890 was the way to go, I am glad that I listened.
    Foot dragger and dirtymartini like this.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure the 65HP on the T7 mighta worn thin for road riding,Ive had streetbikes almost that slow and 95HP is better. At end of day Im a KTM guy. Had a bunch of them over the years.
    I like all the bells and whistles the 890 has,its a fun rig!
    tex68w likes this.
  13. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part of the reason I didn't get one. Just doesn't make sense to me a 65hp twin cylinder being as heavy as it is and lacking decent electronics like cruise control. Might as well go back to the 90s and buy a GPZ500 (EX500), and use off sealed surfaces a 701 would have been as powerful yet massively lighter.
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    It's home!

After 3+ months at the dealer I got my 890 back.

The wiring harness and front headlight harness was replaced. The machine has a new ignition lock, and they replaced the gas cap and seat lock to be all keyed alike.

Weirdly, they left the fucking head brace installed. After all the shit about the head brace caused the issues etc, they left it in place.

In addition to the 'no start' condition that it was being repaired for, I had complained about the following (minor) issues. I wouldn't have brought it in just for them but since it was there... Interesting responses, or lack of:

1) Rough idle, running on one cylinder, and stalling on first startup sometimes. Solution: there is no solution. Tech said it's not normal, but it's common, and KTM can't figure out why. Just let it warm up longer until the second cylinder starts firing is the official fix.

2) Coolant leak (extremely minor, odor only, nothing visible). Can't find a problem, let us know if it gets worse.

3) Moisture in TFT display. Again, tech said not normal, but not a problem that they have a ready solution for short of replacing the display and that's no guarantee so they are going to leave it moist for the present time and if it gets worse they'll replace it.

Whatever. Like I said, those issues IDGAF about.

The work was done by a KTM factory tech, by the way. KTM Amherst is 40 miles from me and they sent a tech from there to the shop and he replaced the wiring harness. The shop gave him a lift, apparently, and that was it.

I got no paperwork and had to sign nothing upon release of the bike to me.

Weird... but again, IDGAF. I got it back!
    ErGuss, tex68w and EvilSteve like this.
  15. mikidymac

Oddometer:
    Glad you got the bike back finally.

The only thing that would bother me was the no paperwork. I would demand written proof that KTM did something incase there is a future issue.
    MeefZah likes this.
  16. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that it was finally handled and done thoroughly. I would request some paperwork though, could come in handy in the future if the problem returns. So here's the big question, are you keeping it?
    MeefZah likes this.
  17. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I don't know. Maybe. Probably I should sell it. But I do love it.

I'm thinking....
    tex68w likes this.
  18. GFY

GFY 4StrokeMe

Oddometer:
    I recently posted about a few issues I was having with my 890 and issues with the dealership. The warranty issue with the chain has been resolved. The new issue is that the chrome on the forks is flaking off. I just got off the phone with KTM. They claim the forms are flaking due to the bike being stored in a corrosive environment. This is Colorado. It’s a very dry, non corrosive climate. The bike has also been sitting at the dealership since the beginning of August. Never in my life have I heard of this happening. Especially on a bike with less than 900 miles.
    Colorado doesn’t have a lemon law for motorcycles which sucks. I feel I could still utilize the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act at a federal level. Anyone on here a lawyer?

Anyone ever have issues with KTM and warranty claims?
  19. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mag Moss will not help. Non starter.

If you take the BS out of it and just deal with the facts..

Coating your forks at a suspension tuner at your own expense and then enjoying your ride will be the cheapest and fastest if a dealer won't go to bat for you
    tex68w likes this.
  20. mikidymac

Oddometer:
    Obviously it’s not from corrosion so either your dealer needs to go to bat for you or KTM needs to show proof it’s from corrosion.
    They can’t just say it’s from corrosion and dismiss you with no proof.