2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a tail rack to replace the ugly factory one. I've narrowed it down to the AltRider and Perun Moto racks and I kinda dig the footprint of the small Perun Moto rack. Any thoughts here from those that own one of these? Any issues or complaints? Is the small rack a waste? Thanks for any insight any of you can provide.
  2. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m very happy with my Perun rack
  3. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Small perun for base function and weight.

Larger perun for wider base. Very well made stuff.
    rick danger, Starky307 and tex68w like this.
  4. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    A small rack is ok to take a small tail bag. Other than that there's not point. If you want to carry a large 30l,40l plus holdall roll bag then the footprint of the small rack is too small. The larger rack would then be beneficial. The larger rack also helps as a grab handle when moving the bike around.

Many put their large roll bag on the back seat rather than the rack, but then lose a lot of room for the rider to move around in. Since it should only have lighter items in anyway, mine always goes on the rack.

Other than the Perun small rack which is a work of art, the larger racks from most brands and even from China all look very similar and are mostly 4mm aluminium with countersunk fasteners. Not much to choose between them other than price.
    tex68w likes this.
  5. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super happy with mine. Fit and finish are top notch.
    Starky307 likes this.
  6. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Full size?
  7. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes sir.
    tex68w likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The bigger the rear rack? The more chance of catching a foot on it swinging a leg over the bike. Especially if it has edges that seem meant for catching boots on the way by.
    On my DR with a small rear OEM rack I found that if a medium wolfman dry bag was packed with tentpoles and in general a tightly rolled stiff pack the small rack held it easily. Havent tried that on stock rack on 890R yet.
  9. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    You normally can't swing a leg over a bike when loaded with luggage anyway. When not loaded, a regular sized rack should make no difference.

Now the OEM grab handles are another matter.
    tex68w likes this.
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Altrider for me

Quite pleased

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day to day use has my tool kit on the rack:

[​IMG]

Duffel goes sideways with half over the seat for camping trips (I travel light as hell):

[​IMG]
    tex68w likes this.
  11. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Unrelated to the rack, I got my first ride on the Seat Concepts tall today. It's very, very good. The standard I tried some months back sucked... locked me into one spot, weirdly pointy corners, just not good. This one is great. I like a tall, flat, firm seat and this delivers. For reference I'm 5-11, 32" inseam. Can barely get the balls of my feet down on both sides at a stop.

[​IMG]
  12. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I believe my wiring harness / immobilizer is still fuckered up. Twice now on starting the engine a red banner with black lettering on it has scrolled up from the bottom of the display; I have not been looking directly at the display either time but caught it in my side view. Both times it has disappeared after about 1/2 second and before I can read the wording on the banner, and I cannot replicate the fault. The red banner is a critical failure of some electronic component so I am thinking it's just a matter of time before immobilizer failure v.2 happens.
  13. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get a red banner across lower portion of TFT occasionally during start up, more frequent when the cold start issue flares up and engine rpm ramps up very slowly on what seems like once cylinder, it's a low oil pressure warning banner and immediately goes away once oil pressure is established.
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, thanks. I'll keep a closer eye on it. Hopefully that's it. It has been colder here lately and these have been first starts off the day IIRC.
  15. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add a little extra oil and the low oil pressure banner will stop appearing. Mine was doing it on cold starts even though the oil was in the middle of the sight glass.
    About 50ml of oil appears to have solved the problem.
    rsteiger, svtride and MeefZah like this.
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    So has anyone heard of a fix for the one cylinder cold start issue? My 890 and two friends of mine with 890's all have the same issue.

So far my way of dealing with it is to hold the throttle open about an 1/8 of a turn and it seems to bypass that single cylinder cold start strategy.
  17. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just look around a bit. If you know more than one person with an issue, there WILL be a thread on it here already.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cold-start-problem-890-adventure.1517002/
  18. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    they are the regular non rallz right ? how you like them. Double check direction on your front-- most picture I see of that tire show the center tread T at top. Your looks like upside down T on front center tread ???
  19. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    They are already dead and gone. I got 4000 useable miles.

The front was on correctly. I always check that like 4 times!

I liked the traction both on and off road. However the front cracked on the sidewall at around 600 miles. I had about a 2" tear in the sidewall. Wasn't caused by damage AFAIK, just kind of spontaneously appeared. I marked the ends and watched it; it never got bigger, so I didn't change the tire. The front also cupped REALLY badly after about 3000 miles but I'm hard on the front brake...

Pic of the gash was uploaded here at the time:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/southern-humboldt-rides.1126607/page-314#post-42602083
  20. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    As per KTM NA when they were going through my list of warranty stuff:. The issue is known to KTM but there is no fix (yet?). The official recommendation is to let the bike warm up longer. If it runs on only one cylinder just let it run on one until the second fires. Again, this directly from the mouth of the KTM tech who came down to replace my wiring harness.