2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Qbasz

Qbasz n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you think it will be possible to mount the new lighter subframe and other components to the 790?
  2. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Yes
  3. strapontin

strapontin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Which translates to about $34k AUD, which is exactly what they tell you it is when you pre-order one in Australia. As I did. Also what the purchase agreement paperwork says from the local dealer. Seems steep...?
    E-luke likes this.
  4. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky you for being able to get your preorder in. In our part of the world the distributor won’t accept orders so it can only be done via KTM wedsite that locks up and won’t activate the request. All we see is the numbers available going down. All very depressing.
  5. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    274 left...
    Foot dragger likes this.
  6. bigboynasty

Oddometer:
    Yes there website tells me that but won’t let me in to order one. The men in orange screw us yet again!
  7. bigboynasty

Oddometer:
    Now it’s 272 and still nil for me!
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. Maximegalodon

Maximegalodon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe they keep the standard 790 adventure with less HP.
    Because in Austria and I think some other european contries there is a law that you are only allowed to ride bikes up to 48 HP when you get your drivers license. But you can reduce the power of a bike which has max. 95 HP so after 2 years of 48 HP you can sepc your bike up again. With 105 HP new bikers aren't allowed the reduce them to the 48 HP required...

But what I don't understand is the increased inertia. They say it's increased by 20%. Which seams a lot to me. So you may have 10 HP more but the bike would feel less direct/agressive?
    upload_2020-10-7_11-24-5.png
    In some german magazines they add Euro 5 in brakets to that. So I guess it has again something to do with emission regulations. Does someone know more about that?
  9. bigboynasty

Oddometer:
    More rotating mass gives more inertia. In the old days we added a weight to the flywheel on MX bikes to ride them in the bush. It meant the engine would spin for longer before it stalled. The down side is it builds it revs slower so therefore takes longer to reach maximum RPM. All these things tend to be trade offs
  10. Maximegalodon

Maximegalodon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't mean I don't understand the concept of inertia. I don't understand way they did it. Was the 790 prone to stalling?
    I'm afraid they did it to comply with emission regulations and try to sell it to you as great new deal
    gbx2001 likes this.
  11. bigboynasty

Oddometer:
    The idle RPM is relatively high so no it’s not prone to stalling in our back country type riding but more rotating mass isn’t a bad thing. Probably just engineers trying to give marketing something different to sell new bike with.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  12. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did mention changes to the front master. But yes still J.Juan..
  13. roookie1

Oddometer:
    I would love touring on a 890 . Been touring with my 950 adv for the last 8 years. The 890 must be better in a lot of ways.. Still live the old girl though..
  14. roookie1

Oddometer:
    I think it helps making the engine smoother in the low revs.. T7 and At owners rave about that.. And its more user friendly if you are new to riding off-road on a 200 + kg bike..
  15. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heavier flywheel helps with low down torque which the 790 is known to be lacking. The same engineering was applied to the 1290 SA engines. These are the same as the 1290 SD engines except that they have a heavier flywheel and different cams to provide torque lower down the rpm range.

Lots of engine changes, from MCN:

"There are other internal changes too including new pistons, new balancers, new conrods, new valves, new valve springs – the list goes on. Interestingly, KTM are saying the innards weigh 20% more but that this smooths the output as well as adding to cornering stability.

There are other smaller changes elsewhere including a new slipper clutch and transmission for better gear changes, as well as a bigger oil cooler and knock sensor for better engine longevity. It’s also been brought up to Euro5."
  16. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    173 left...
  17. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guys, what is this 640 Adventure R?!?!?!
  18. roookie1

Oddometer:
    Its a picture from the parts fische, not a list of current or upcoming ktm’s
    Salzig likes this.
  19. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The exhaust probably accounts for around half of that, something that can be fixed.
  20. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    The press release states that the engine has 20% more rotating mass - so if the 790 weighs 75 pounds, that means the engine accounts for the additional 15 lbs. I believe the cat and exhaust are the same.