2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    No it says “The rotating mass of the crankshaft has been increased by 20%”
    PerGrus likes this.
  2. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Okay, they say it’s a reworked pre-muffler.
  3. aardouzie

aardouzie Yamaha WR250R, Gas Gas EC300 2 smoke

Oddometer:
    Made in India?
  4. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Yes and China, comes with a tinfoil hat.
    SCPancho likes this.
  5. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia, Canada (+years in Texas and Norway)
    Well.. I think the ‘upgraded clutch’; ‘upgraded master cylinder and insulation on the brake cylinder pistons’ and fuel line protection are all admissions of poor component designs on the 790.
    Rather than addressing these deficiencies on the 790 (including retrofitting existing models in circulation); just come out with a “new model” and replace the 790.. leave those owners with inferior component designs in the cold.
    Way to support your customers, KTM!
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why don't we talk about what is IN the half full glass, rather than what is NOT?

At least KTM has developed solutions to the key problems that some of us have experienced, and those solutions will, in all likelihood, be applicable to our bikes. Sure KTM may not pay for those fixes, but at least they have provided you a path to fix them. After all, we all knew the warranty for the R model was only 1 year in the states anyway...

Also, I don't think its a foregone conclusion that KTM WON"T directly address 790 owner fixes, although it may take a NHTSA action to force their hand...
  7. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    The parts lists are out so we can put to rest some of the speculation going on from the vague website descriptions.
    Check the spare parts finder if you want to verify for yourself.

Clutch:
    - Basket, inner hub, pressure plate, springs, judder springs, are all the same between 790 and 890.
    - Clutch pack containing the fiber and steels is a different part #. Not sure if they updated fibers, steels, or both. Also quantity of each plate isn't listed, so they may have changed that.

Brakes:
    - Master cylinder and rotors are the same 790 to 890.
    - Calipers are different #'s. I've yet to dig into individual component #'s to determine if it's internal changes only or entire redesign.

Exhaust:
    - Silencer is the same 790 to 890.
    - Cat and primary pipe are different part #s
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    ''test riders wanted"
  9. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know--- so different from what they usually do :lol3

I mean, seriously, there is nothing unusual about this: and I say this as a first year 950S, 950SM, 950SE, & 1190 owner. Somehow I missed the 1st year 990 (Adventure & Superduke) ownership- though I did have a Dakar and currently have a 990SD.

We keep buying, they keep doing.

I think I'll be spared the 890 1st year blues though-- love the bike/features, but prefer a 19/17 wheelset. Hoping against hope the Norden has it.
    kzeb likes this.
  10. Gaulin

Oddometer:
    More parts list comparisons:
    - Looking at the calipers, the pistons are the same 790 to 890.
    - Brake pads and seals are different.

They don't list the bare caliper #s, so can't tell 100% if they're different, but based on the commonality of the master cylinder, rotors, and caliper pistons, I'm speculating that the caliper bodies are the same with just a pad and seal change.
    alonad and Nowwhat like this.
  11. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Rear master cylinder was mentioned in the promo?
  12. Gaulin

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't specify the info in my posts is for front.

The rears have identical #s for master cylinder, pads, pistons, brake line, and seals.

Curious though that the caliper # is different. As the recalled brake line comes as part of this assembly, they may have rolled the number to capture this change, which would have originally been a different brake line # on the 2019-2020 prior to the recall.
    Noyah likes this.
  13. BoxOfChocolates

BoxOfChocolates KLR Delusional

Oddometer:
    I literally picked up my 790R about two weeks ago. Not even 300 miles on it yet. I am really impressed with it and wouldnt consider moving to an 890 because its the latest and greatest. My concern with this announcement is support from KTM for the 790R for the next few years. Does this make the 790R obsolete or will KTM continue to support the thing?
    Qbasz likes this.
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    The detent arm spring in the shifter assembly is different. There are a few other changes in the transmission - new retaining plate for the shift drum - the new one has 2 screws where the old one had one screw and a tab for a slot in the case. Probably means the plate is flexing under hard shifting, contributing to missed shifts. Also new 1-4 gear shift forks, new linkage rod and connector screw where it attaches to the shift lever (outside the case), and a modified gear shift lever. They eliminated the folding peg, which I think is a mistake, but maybe they felt it was contributing to missed shifts...
    Maximegalodon and undingen like this.
  15. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are the main 790 owner fixes? What's your list if major issues with the 790?
  16. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Brakes (no problems personally, but still gives me concern), missed shifts, premature clutch wear (again, not an issue for me personally, but if a cooler running, more reliable pack is available, that will be on the list to switch when it comes time). I already addressed the suspension changes with fork mods and a WP shock rebuild...
  17. aardouzie

aardouzie Yamaha WR250R, Gas Gas EC300 2 smoke

Oddometer:
    Lol, I'm guessing by your clever comeback that you believe that an Indian contract-manufactured bike will be at least as good, if not better quality than Austrian? Don't misconstrue... I'm not anti-Indian. On the contrary, I believe that the $6K 390 represents a decent value, enabled by third-world manufacture. Hopefully they lower the 790/890 prices accordingly. If not, no worries... go ahead and spend $20K on an Indian bike... I won't laugh.
    Noyah likes this.
  18. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understood both from my dealer, and from other conversations here that for these bikes, product for Europe and North America will continue to be produced in Austria. It will be interesting to see the first few that hit the market and see where they are actually built.
    kubcat and aardouzie like this.
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a strange one. Spend loads of R&D creating a model (790) only to discontinue it/supersede it two years later. A bit like BMW with the X series. That means support and 3rd party parts are going to start to wane. No point in 3rd parties investing any more in making parts for 790. Of course there will be a little cross-over. I did wonder why I started seeing lightly used 790s appear on eBay for less than a new T700.

I suppose the 890 will put the KTM in a completely different class to the T700 so helps to reduce the competition between them somewhat.

As someone that came from a 950 Adventure, the bike is interesting to me, but then so was the 790 R. I don't think I could buy a 790 R now if it's going to be discontinued. Already played that game with some previous bikes and meant a severely limited range of aftermarket additions available.

Other than MCN saying it does (those in the UK will know MCN isn't exactly the gold standard of journalism), I'm not sure why people think it weighs more than the 790? We know form KTM directly that the exhaust and the frame is lighter, but the flywheel heavier.

Looks like the UK at £18,699 (€20.533) and Germany €20.695 are the cheapest places in Europe to order the Rally from. Excluding Luxembourg €20.305
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    No, sorry about that.
    I’m just amused by all the people still going on about 790/890 being made in China or India when KTM stated so clearly time after time that India is for small bikes and China will make siblings to the 790 and be branded CFMoto for a different market.

But in reality the country it’s made in means jack if it’s still the same specs and checks in the production line as when built in Austria.
    It’s not like an iPhone made in China is made in a hut out on a rice field.

Then again I just thought of this old gem: