2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder, fixed, and after today's experience with temps IMG_20210118_141831485_HDR.jpg in the 30's yes I'm going to add heated grips soon the way I do things probably about June, I've suffered many years without a KTM and heated grips. Did 470 miles today I think I'm in love with the Austrian Supermodel.
    MeefZah, zoomsplat, MaxFuel and 2 others like this.
  2. abandoned track

abandoned track Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping to see more owner posts for the 890 standard edition. Sat on one the other day at the dealer and it would be nice to have 1 bike that has a low seat height. I don't want to lower my 690 R (seat height is 38.5 in.) Plan would be to primarily use the standard for street. (690 R for dual, GSA for touring "mule").
  3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it looks like your project is using a larger resolution than your actual clip. Like maybe you set your project in FCP to 1080p but shot your video in 720p. You can scale your video to fit your project or set your project resolution to the same thing as your video.

Thanks for sharing the video, that looks like a fun trail. :-)
  4. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure why i was using a GoPro 8 at 2k 60 fps. Saved it a 1080p for YouTube.
  5. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I use Premiere Pro now but used FCP a fair bit. I remember having some experience with that scenario but I don't remember what the cause/fix is. Maybe ask in the video tips thread?
    Bomb_Dude likes this.
  6. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My WR's white side panels are nearly brown and has deep scars up and down the blue front fender...
    My GSXR has deep cuts on the left main and rear fairing...
    I gave up the ideal of keeping anything pristine years ago, if I want to see pristine bikes I head to a showroom or museum.
    My bikes, well, I guess they have character... :hmmmmm
    Though I never really look at them for long... I just maintain the mechanical bits, throw a leg over - and ride!

Not being a smartass... grip strength trainers are cheaper, seriously.
    If I can 2-finger an '02 GSXR for an entire track day and 1-finger my WR for 3-5 hours of technical riding, why spend $200+?

Please do share more... haven't seen anything referencing die-casting in relation to the 790/890
    zoomsplat, 8lives and tonyubsdell like this.
  7. MtnRoamer

MtnRoamer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not being a smartass... grip strength trainers are cheaper, seriously.
    If I can 2-finger an '02 GSXR for an entire track day and 1-finger my WR for 3-5 hours of technical riding, why spend $200+?

I have never really been concerned with clutch lever effort (grip strength on the high side). I have been surprised that some folks go for the Camel arm over the hydraulic though. Between the 1090 and 790 I have had both and find the hydraulic better for the sort of low speed maneuvering you regarded as a priority.
  8. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    I've actually never ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch long-term... they feel great, I guess I just don't know what I am missing :)
    What really drew me to the Camel arm is the larger friction area.

On the sh!t happens side of things, my dad once got a bike out of the bush after busting a clutch lever by using vice grips on the cable! Can't do that with hydraulic fluid :(
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  9. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen this custom made rear mud flap in the 790 mods thread?
    Wish someone produced one, it isn't my favorite thing to do but I am going to pick up a sheet of ABS plastic and try my hand at cutting & forming one...

This bike seems great most of the way around, but little things like a traditional off-road mud flap and protected rear master cylinder line were easy wins that KTM just forgot... I guess?

Rear Mud Flap 2.jpg Rear Mud Flap 1.jpg
  10. MtnRoamer

Oddometer:
    I have one of the Camel levers in a bag somewhere so maybe I’ll even do both this time around (I see somebody here already did that). You do lose the old replacement clutch cable routed next to current trick for a quick trail fix as you mentioned of course. I finally just swapped to HDB Ultimate guards on all of my bikes that will see a good amount of time in the dirt. I have not lost a lever since.
  11. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    My buddy recommended HDB guards as well, the Barkbusters on my WR haven't let me down (still have OEM levers, cut shorter with a dremel lol)
    I do have the HDB guards on my list, would you recommend putting them on straight-away or after breaking the OEM plastic ones? (guess I might break a lever too if I wait)
  12. MtnRoamer

Oddometer:
    I usually just cut my losses and throw the HDBs on straight away (otherwise I start accumulating replacement lever costs). There are quite a few good guards out there, but with the big bolts the HDBs still get the nod every time I go to add new guards. My 1090 went down quite a few times and with the big bolts the guards never even visibly budged.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  13. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate,
    That's my mudflap, made it from 3 or 4 mm rubber sheet.
    There is a finished product to but from Twalcom if you want.
    KTM - 790 Special parts. http://www.twalcom.com/home.php
  14. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The original exhaust isn't very heavy but if you leave the cat in place and change the can it will still be fairly silent.
    Removing the cat will not give any warning lights but it will make the bike louder, even with the stock can.

Heat is not the cause of the rear shock failure so you may want to rethink the Camel heat shield
    Venturer likes this.
  15. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    My experience with the standard model seat is still limited but after yesterday's ride I'm happy with the comfort level, I rode all day without stopping much.
  16. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Fruits of joining within 24 hrs, love it!
    I may not have read far enough past your original post introducing it...
    Would you be able to link me to/share more about your process to form and attach it?

I like how much wider yours is than the Twalcom one, plus currency exchange rates are horrid.

P.S. sorry for not giving you credit, I saved your photos for reference but didn't bookmark your post.

You're the second one to mention ditching the Camel heat shield, done!

Question on swapping the can...
    Will moving to a more open/straight through can reduce engine temps during slow, technical riding/hot weather (or both!)?

My WR's OEM can was so restrictive (even with the insert removed) it made the bike run measurably hotter, wondering if that is the case here too... :hmmmmm
  17. Matthewm

Matthewm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome video.
    Blinkers are my nemesis. Mine always seems to gravitate to the ground. Were you able to snap it back into place?
    Bomb_Dude likes this.
  18. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry - I was posting from my phone and autocorrect was provided by Coober - it really doesn't want us de-catting our bikes!!
    Subaruvich and MN rider like this.
  19. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    The excess heat on this bike is primarily caused by the cat. Before I removed it, my ankles would get blasted with heat, which also traveled back up the manifold and into the heads/valves, as Rottweiler discovered during dyno testing. Now that its gone (replaced by the arrow mid-pipe with some baffling to keep some back-pressure and make a wonderful sound) the heat is significantly reduced, at least according to my "ankle-meters".

As others have said, no matter which can you choose to replace the OEM one with, if you leave the cat, you will still have a very quiet (and hot) exhaust. Those of us with the de-cat only option really enjoy the new sound. More open mufflers would probably make the bike too loud for me. I might go to a Ti muffler with a dB killer/spark arrestor someday, but that would only be for weight reduction and/or farkle factor (bling).
  20. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the standard model has better road prowess, so if you will be on the street 80%+ it would make sense...
    But for what it's worth, I ordered up a Seat Concepts Comfort LOW seat which brings my R down to roughly the same seat height as the standard model's upper position.

At 5'8" with a 30-32" inseam I could get away with the OEM seat height but it is basically a 2x6 with vinyl, at least that's what my sit bones tell me after 3 hours. That plus every inch of "oh sh!t, put a foot down" when off-road helps.

Screenshot_20210119-074323_Chrome.jpg
    Link to article

Link to Seat Concepts seat
    Matthewm likes this.